Discussion » Art & Design » Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future

• Rockstar Mooney
    Rockstar Mooney wrote:

Listen up son, lawyers, accountants,radiologists, engineers and programmers rule the world. That’s what our parents told us to be when we grew up. But Mom and Dad were not so correct after all. The future now belongs to a very different kind of person with a very different kind of mind.

Don't think so ? Then you are in denial and obviously have not read " A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future." by Daniel Pink.

“The era of ‘left-brain’ dominance—and the Information Age that it engendered—is giving way to a new world in which artistic and holistic ‘right-brain’ abilities mark the fault line between who gets ahead and who falls behind.”

In his book, Daniel describes a seismic shift that—while not yet fully realized—is already underway in much of the modern world. We are rapidly moving from an economy and culture built on the logical, linear, computer-like capabilities of the Information Age to one built on the creative, empathic, big-picture capabilities of what’s rising in its place: the Conceptual Age (creators and empathizers)

Pink references three prevailing trends pointing towards the future of business and the economy: Abundance (consumers have too many choices, nothing is scarce), Asia (everything that can be outsourced, is) and Automation (computerization, robots, technology, processes). This brings up three crucial questions for the success of any business:

Can a computer do it faster?

Is what I'm offering in demand in an age of abundance?

Can someone overseas do it cheaper?

When these questions are present, creativity becomes the competitive difference that can differentiate commodities. Pink outlines six essential senses:

Design - Moving beyond function to engage the sense.

Story - Narrative added to products and services - not just argument. Best of the six senses.

Symphony - Adding invention and big picture thinking (not just detail focus).

Empathy - Going beyond logic and engaging emotion and intuition.

Play - Bringing humor and light-heartedness to business and products.

Meaning - the purpose is the journey, give meaning to life from inside yourself.

These six senses increasingly will guide our lives and shape our world. The high-concept, high-touch abilities that now matter most are fundamentally human attributes. After all, back on the savanna, our cave-person ancestors weren’t taking SATs or plugging numbers into spreadsheets. But they were telling stories, demonstrating empathy, and designing innovations. These abilities have always comprised part of what it means to be human. But after a few generations in the Information Age, these muscles have atrophied. The challenge is to work them back into shape.

For everyone in the creative industry(whatever discipline), this book is a must-read. Same can be said for entrepreneurs who wish to thrive and succeed in the rapidly-approaching Conceptual Age.

As we transition from the Information Age to the Conceptual Age, these people—artists, inventors, designers, storytellers, caregivers, consolers, big picture thinkers—will now reap society’s richest rewards and share its greatest joys.

You feelin me Son ?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

apparently I'm 50% right and 50% left, though it claims I would answer the test differently each time I take it (this is probably true).

Lao Lee, have you often considered yourself something of a 'mystic'?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

does left handed person r ruled by right brain ?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

where can i get this book fro free ?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I hope your not responsible for the sharp pains I have been feeling recently...

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

I doubt that right-brainers will rule, they are creative, but most of the time, it's rational people running the world. Right-brainers are more likely to achieve personal success, I think.

That brain test is interesting, but it offers little info for people with balanced hemispheres, I thought it might tell some career potential and personality analysis like zodiac prophecy, but nothing. :"Fool, you exhibit an even balance between left- and right- hemisphere dominance and a slight preference for visual over auditory processing. With a score this balanced, it is likely that you would have slightly different results each time you complete this self-assessment quiz." Just as ambiguous as the story told by fortuneteller:D

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I agree with the conceptual age theory. when rich get richer , they can do the same thing with politicians do. once they do things together . all they need is a brilliant idea and get their audience brain washed like idiot. to leave them no choice but obey the richs order subconciously.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.