Discussion » Nonsense » Hit and Run

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You thought I was talking about China. Ha ha! Trolled ya again, bitches!

Nope. This happened during the Occupy Oakland protests. Emphasis added!

(source: San Jose Mercury News)

A man and a woman were hit at 11th Street and Broadway by a silverMercedes, after a male driver ran ared light, said Joe Jackson, 37, ofOakland, who witnessed the incident.

The driver was irritated by protesterswalking in front of him.

Onlookers said the driver deliberately ran over the pair,accelerating after a man hit on thehood of the car.

The windshield was splattered with what appeared to be a milkshake.

After the car stopped at the other end of the intersection, the driverswitched seats with his femalepassenger.

About 40 people gathered in the intersection and some pulled open thedriver’s door.

The woman inside shouted: “I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry!”

The injured man and woman were taken away in ambulances.

Police let the driver go.

alt text

alt text

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Related:

alt text

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Why? Living in America is penalty enough.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Julie, The milkshake-covered Mercedes driver has a very smug "My dad is Li Gang" look on his face.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Oakland. The Oakland of the California State.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It should be pointed out that the pedestrians were only injured, so I don't know why this has turned into a conversation about capital punishment. But retributive justice is archaic and doesn't do a single fucking thing to prevent crime. Compensating victims is merely a nominal form of restorative justice.

We could debate this in another thread.

Whatevs.

I digress.

This guy cold ran down a couple of Occupados, then he hid behind his ladypal to solicit sympathy from bystanders, who obviously weren't buying it, and the cops fucking let him go. Because, fuck those dirty hippies.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

The pictures tell the whole (non)story.

• Rick (史大龙)

Did any of you see the video? It starts after the incident was already ongoing, the guy was beating on the hood of the guys car. In the beginning the driver was going slow trying to get past the crowd, but the guy never got out of the way. Can't see what was happening before this, but there was a large crowd of people that were "protesting people with money" and drove up in a Mercedes and I guess represented what this guy thought should be attacked. I can tell you if I owned a 70K car and someone started beating dents in the hood, I would run his ass over too!

• Simen Wangberg

These two cases have got me wondering if a similar case were in a state of U.S. or other places which dont have a death penalty, what can we do with these kind of outrages crimes?

LOST FAITH IN HUMANITY

BETTER DRINK MY OWN PISS

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Rick, What video? And what's the price of human life when the appropriate response to property damage is attempted vehicular manslaughter? Any dents in the driver's hood were caused by two bodies hitting it.

@JulieZhu, I don't get it. According to eyewitnesses, the driver was aware of the pair the whole time (so it wasn't an accident to begin with) nor was there even a possible threat of victim compensation to motivate the driver to "up the ante" by turning merely "accidental" manslaughter into intentional homicide. The American criminal justice system does not typically mandate the compensation of victims. That's what car insurance is for.

On the contrary, I'm reminded of the more typical attitude of drivers in China who show outright contempt for pedestrian right-of-way.

there is nothing more dramatic compared with things happened in china

That's precisely my point. However, the dramatic stuff which isn't often allowed to occur in China is happening in the background of all of this.

Consider the context, folks: a short time ago, Oakland police executed a violent crackdown on throngs of protesters who collectively are guilty only of being an organized nuisance by exercising their First Amendment right to peacefully assemble. Here we've got a Mercedes-driving yuppy who actually does break the law and does serious violence to two people, and yet he's allowed to drive away.

The implicit inequality of the 99% and the 1% is the truly outrageous crime.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@JulieZhu, I was comparing the facts; words are imperfect receptacles of facts, but I struggle to even conceive of an alternative mode of comparing two situations other than comparisons, with words. And while I share a perspective on oppression that is doubtlessly identical to yours, I admit that my suspicions about other people's motives are not particularly valuable or persuasive.

But thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

It's true that I'm a flagrant shit-starter, but encouraging critical thought and igniting debates are just a means to an end of exposing oppression, because I think unemployed Americans and overemployed Chinese wage-slaves have more in common than they do with the elites of their respective countries.

Identifying the ugly similarities between vastly different societies is far more interesting to me than dismissing problems as manifestations of "cultural differences."

Thus "milkshake man" is a comparatively obscure occupado version of China's "tank man" in my view.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Secret Garden,

when some few of the 99% somehow manage to be part of the 1% they just rinse and repeat?

The fundamental attribution error implicit in "pulling oneself up by one's bootstraps" comes to mind. The nouveau riche are just as vile as their aristocratic counterparts.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Then how did you know I was referring to Tiananmen?

• Simen Wangberg

The milkshake man can be recognised at least, but it is known there is never a tank man in TianAnMen square

Then how did you know I was referring to Tiananmen?

Epic pwn was epic

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.