Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Forum changes

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    <p>I've done some changes in the forum, here's a summary:</p> <ul> <li>Adjusted the column widths; the left column is more narrow, while the main column is a bit wider </li> <li>Changed the headers a bit. </li> <li>Fixed some bugs on the formatting.</li> <li>Moved time for posting down to the options</li> </ul> <p>Ideas for the future</p> <ul> <li>I'm thinking about sizing up the user images, and move the name down below the image. Clearing this out of the way will decrease distractions and increase readability.</li> <li>Restyle things like "not-relevant" posts, "show more" and </li> <li>Try to prevent markdown code from being printed on the category page (last post in category) </li> <li>Add markdown formatting guidelines</li> <li>Add confirmation on "not relevant" button, as well as a undo function on posts already marked as irrelevant. </li> </ul> <p>Any other suggestions? :-)</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Has anyone even used the "not relevant" function appropriately, even once? I think this feature just encourages lusers to create their own attack threads in response to perceived censorship.

I still think a +1/-1 "karma" function would be a better and less laborious way of policing the forums. But that would be "too democratic."

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... in contrary to what 单独子儿 said, the NR thingie is great fun to see which of the dicks and dickesses have personal grudges ... e.g. I will now rumor that Joligne and Alex (or whoever) might be related ...

Oh, if it is not too much trouble, I would like to have the "Delete" option for more than just 15 min? perhaps forever?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

It's impossible to make people use all features with best practices :-)

I still think a +1/-1 "karma" function would be a better and less laborious way of policing the forums. But that would be "too democratic."

I agree on this - voting threads up/down.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Threads are "voted" up or down based on activity. No change is necessary here. Shitty threads just won't get bumped to the top of the recent discussions list.

I'm talking about voting comments--or maybe even photos and users--up and down.

And I know that it's impossible to force people to use the "not relevant" function wisely. Nor was it possible to force people to use the TinyMCE controls wisely, until the function was taken away completely. I just think that when vindictive OPs get too trigger-happy with the "not relevant" button, it'll encourage trolls to make new threads targeting the OP in question.

Such attack threads always result in resoundingly epic fail.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Just fixed so the blockquote is previewed correctly in the wmd editor preview.

There shall be correctness!

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Godfather: Please be more specific. What is it that you'd like to do? What challenges are you met that makes this difficult? Does your interactions return expected results? If not, what happens instead, and what did you expect?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

allow the OPs to delete their threads?

allow people to upload pics from their computer, not just paste from other websites?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahahahahaha ...

allow people to upload pics from their computer

... who wants to tell "her"?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

add some pacmans here . and brushes. so we can draw something and express our feelings better ?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Joligne:

• You can upload photos from your computer by clicking the image button/icon.
    • After cleaning up ~100 threads after your trolling, your feelings are now processed with a valid escape character in the great expression-unfriendly markdown syntax

*bu-fucking-hu*

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

where is the image button icon ? and I dont understand the rest u said. what do u mean ? bu-fucking-hu

maybe u can add a function of copy screen into this site. ?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I trried CTRL+G. still can't find the button.

I've try to figure it out for a lon time . no one told me how to upload pic from my own laptop

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I'm pretty good at making pics hehe. it's too bad i can not upload them on this site. i got many creative and original images in my computer.

now i can only input plain text here . nothing else.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Here's a screenshot:

alt text

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

God: which browser do you experience that in? And do you hit Shift+Enter or just plain Enter?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I dont have those things on my screen . none . they are all gone !!!!!!! it a white blank now !!! :(

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

haha, facebook is blocked in China (and we landed on the moon, for those who's even slower), so for now we wont add any third party like button if that's what Tempora had in mind. We might introduce a "+1/-1" voting system on posts in the future though. From my personal impression that approach works quite well.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Joligne: what browser are you using?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

i cant see any of those functional buttons here . why is that ?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

i'm using 搜狗高速浏览器

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I have IE and firefox too , but seems this one is better. there is clean between my text frame and the "post a reply" .

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Oh I just love being a web developers...

Joligne: Go to the following website and give me the information in the top blue bubble (starting with "Your User Agent: ".

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/

Or just do like everyone else and use a normal browser. Chrome is great (http://www.google.com/chrome)

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; Tablet PC 2.0; CIBA; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0C; SE 2.X MetaSr 1.0)

Your IP Address: 124.193.82.193

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... hahahaha ... here comes the Killer Vagina ...

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

ANYTHING is better than Chinese custom browser using a modified version of some open source rendering engine. Stick to what the masses use. Microsoft has still not made a browser I'm satisfied with as they just make it a pain in the ass to develop for, while at the same time stating that they love developers. Thanks a lot for introducing a ton of modes. Firefox has been my favorite for a while, mostly because of some great extensions such as Firebug for debugging, but lately they fucked up their browser's memory handling (after version 7.0.1) after trying to fix their memory issues. Now pages stop loading, and the browser is not usuable shortly after starting it (though this is not an issue for all, but still many).

The browser winning most market shares these times are Google Chrome, and I love the way they think about the browser - keep a browser a browser, and follow web standards. At the same time, they open up for third party extensions that you don't have to upgrade all the time. Oh, and they auto-update your browser, which is probably the best feat of them all. No other browser does this, but FF are planning it in version 10.

My suggestion to everyone who would like to get the best user experience on the web, maintain a uncluttered browser and don't want to have to think about being up-to-date any more, is to install Google Chrome right away.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Joligne: that's the chinese browser? Or did you go to that page using Firefox?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Tempora: I'll test on iPad a bit later. Could you be a bit more specific on what exactly happens though?

@Joligne: Nevermind, I found out that Internet Explorer actually has "Mozilla" as user-agent.

The world is indeed full of oddities.

• Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ...

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Tempora: which browser?

@Everyone: PLEASE be more specific when telling me "something doesnt work" :-) There's a potential 5 different browser x at least an average of 7 versions each, spread on 3 or more OS. That's 105 possible scenarios where a bug could happen. And that's before counting beta versions, plugins, etc.

kthanks!

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

*early stage nervous breakdown twitching in left eye*

• №❶ Passioη

Ole-Marius

I'm using FF 3.6 (Due to the same memory issues of later releases you described up there),

However the profile shoutouts don't display anymore, neither do the forum rich-text edit icons. Edit button doesn't work either - that's why I deleted previous and pasted this...

Please check browser compatibility. Thanks

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

No Passion:

• Issue 1: Can you specify what you mean by profile shutouts?
    • Issue 2: NONE of the icons are showing? Could you try clearing your cache or hammer Ctrl+F5 for me to see if that helps? Might be related to a javascript user agent check written in invalid javascript, but I rewrote that a few hours ago.
  • №❶ Passioη
    1. Oh, pardon my terminology "Profile shoutouts" are those messages on profile that replaced the old fashion guest book...

2.I've cleared the server cache and everything works fine now. thanks .. your AJAX skills are impressive ;)

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Thanks, not that this one was related to ajax ;-) Just found a way to install multiple FF versions in order to get a broader testing environment :-) Also gonna schedule a to-do on forced updates of assets so we can make sure everyone gets the newest/working version after fixing something.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... two suggestions ...

(1) referring to the my NR post above ... can you move the "Show" out to the right?

(2) can we have the URL of forum threads just using the tid, instead of the thread titles? the two reasons are:

• some thread title are very long, and if I should copy a URL, it (might) get chopped off?
    • there are many thread title using Chinese characters, and many software still does not support it, e.g. QQ and MSN ...

(3) while editing this post, I noticed that the two bullet points (above) on the final screen do not match the "preview" as show below ...

• List item
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Dingdong:

• Irrelevant styling: I'll keep your request in mind when styling it. Currently no styles are applied to it :-) My bad. [br]
    • A URI pattern containing only the ID is useless in terms for SEO. However, I see that there is room for improvements on how various characters are handled today. All characters that search engines do not care about could be stripped away. I think the only possible way to both keep the title and preventing too long url's is to limit the characters in the title and try to motivate people to write better titles
    • About Chinese characters, I'm not really sure what the best practice is, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to deal with this. Would be cool to convert it to pinyin, haha ;-)
    • QQ and MSN doesn't support chinese characters? Are you sure it's not due to a missing language pack on the OS? :P
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

(3): This is not an issue, just a good observation that basically means that markdown output supports dynamic width on the container it's output is placed in.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... if I remember correctly, double-byte is already supported ... so, it might not really be your problem ...

... and, no, I did not mean that Chinese is not supported in QQ and MSN, I only meant that when I pasted it, because the Chinese characters did not get included into the URL, just by clicking on it (on QQ or MSN), it leads to a URL with a truncated name ... I will try to get a screen dump for you later ...

... and it looks like you might have found the same issue with the "bullet points"? or, is it just my browser is playing trick on my eyes?

• Joligne
  • №❶ Passioη

@ Ole-Marius

That's cool... I noticed the photo navigation was also fixed. It used to be "next" for "previous" and vice-versa... but it works well now. Good work :)

1. My only other suggestion for the forum would be tree format for replies (reply to reply) - e.g: as it is on Ning SN forums. This may not be easy to achieve and not necessary though, just looks nicer

2. Any plans to add a Classifieds section? That could absorb all the apartment and massage agents who use the forum as a substitute for ads

3. One more thing :) - PM is a very important feature. It would be nice to have an extra link to "message (inbox)" rather than just the rollover sub-menu of the "Notifications"

E.G: visiting another profile, below the profile pic is a vertical menu, options include "send a message". Visiting my own profile, below my profile pic is a vertical menu that would include "view my inbox". This could be useful in situations like today while you were editing jscript, the rollover was disabled so there was no easy way to read PMs. This extra link would also be good idea for mobile browsers that don't support jscript multi layer / div or doc element features...Just a thought!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(4) ... it seems that I cannot get more than three (or was it four) pages of old threads?

As I repeatedly clicked on "List More Threads", the next "List More Threads" get pushed further to the right of the screen, eventually it is OUTSIDE the "frame" ... which might be why I cannot see it?

Actually, this problem has been around for a while, this might be a good time to fix it?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

@Tempora: Safari on Mac, PC or iOS? Works fine on Safari 5.1.1

@No Passion:

• You're right, that would require a bigger change. Also I'm not sure if that's really necessary. I saw a nice feature in a forum on a norwegian website where quotes had a small arrow icon. When clicking the arrow, it panned up to the original quote. How it works when the quote is from a previous page I'm not sure about, but I think we'd rather improve the quoting/referring functionality rather than changing the core logic of the forum.
    • Check out Buy & Sell in the top menu :-) I agree it could be called "Classifieds", but I didn't get my coworkers with me on that ;-)[br]
    • I requested an evenlop-icon from the designer long time ago, but haven't got it. I want to add a always-visible icon to your inbox in the top menu. At least try it out to see how it looks and evaluate it for implementation. I've got 2 more to-do's on PM improvements in my mind: [br]
    • Load in "Show all messages" with ajax so text in the editor wont get lost and [br]
    • autocomplete names in the "To: " input when composing.

Btw we've added Shift+Enter support for the markdown editor.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Dingdong: gonna test it out while going trough the remaining styling for forum. I'd rather load more content asyncronously as well, like on activity.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Dingdong: btw, don't know if you noticed but I removed the auto-focus on search input after pageload =)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(5) ... another one ... in relation to image size ... and it seems to be related to (4) ...

With the current forum, when we "pinned" an image, we will also see a thumbnail on "bubble" (we call it "activity" now?) and in the RA of our profile ... that is nice ... however ...

When I was flipping through pages and pages of old threads, I noticed that instead of a thumbnail, the original size of the image will get displayed, hence pushing the "List More Threads" even further to the right than normal ...

e.g. http://www.weliveinbeijing.com/discussion/thread/1000010524/Nonsense/Today-is-2011-11-1-the-super-single-day.......and-2011-11-11-is-super-couple-day-and-33;-and-33;-and-33;

... this one is in the Nonsense category ... you will only need to click on "List More Threads" once, and you will see a HUGE and scarry looking baby head on the screen ... and it seems to be in original size ... definitely not a thumbnail ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

don't know if you noticed but I removed the auto-focus on search input after pageload

... actually, sorry, no ... and ... the one million RMB question is, how long will it last? heehee ... thanks anyway ...

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

@Tempora: I'll do some testing on the iPad 1 when I get time :-) WLIB is not optimized for iPad. iOS doesn't even support image uploading in the browser :P

• №❶ Passioη

@ Ole-Marius

• hehe... funny I never noticed.. even the ALT text is "Classifieds"... They should simply label the menu item as "Classifieds" because "buy and sell" usually represents a sub category under classifieds anyway. If they wanna be distinctive, they could use another common word suitable as a super-category. e.g "Commercials", "Adverts", "Information", etc... but I bet "Classifieds" will be most easily noticed and consequently most clicked on. Well, it's at least worth another experiment if you can convince them ;)

• Your idea to auto-complete contacts in the compose new message is another good step. I presume it would load all contacts on the WLIB (as it does on search) rather than the ones in personal contact list. Either way it may have to come with thumbnails? as there are: 1 Regular name changers, 2 many people with the exact same name or / and name combination. e.g: "Michelle" ;) Just a thought. I wouldn't bother adding this feature except backed up with logic forcing people to use their real names (like facebook does), or compelling them to use their real decent photos (like badoo does)...

This site is just fine the way it is now... no need for many more additions. Thanks to the WLIB team

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:
    1. Using Windows 7 and IX 9. Last week I was able to upload pics and today I can't upload the pics?
      1. I am unable to paste links?
      2. Have you changed anything to has affected IX9?
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... and this has just started to happen this morning ... whenever I go into a thread, the content of it (but not the outside frame such as the top menu) would flash, or refresh?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I had just noticed a rather strange behaviour in the editor ...

Here are a couple of words I copied from above: [br] [br] it would be very convenient to use wlib thru iPad [br] [br] ... now, if I make some of it BOLD ... like this:[br] [br] it would be very convenient to use wlib thru iPad[br] [br] ... and then re-do it, selecting more words, but starting the cursor at "very", it will look like this:[br] [br] it would be *very convenient to use wlib* thru iPad[br] [br] ...notice that instead of un-bolding, it changed those two words to Italic, as well as the next few ..

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

IPad testing

alt text Testing image from chinasmack.com

Boooold

Itaaalic

No iPad problems so far....

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Tempora: No problems with iPad 1 with iOS 5 from my test... What version does yours run?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] Hahahaha ... you read that on ChinaSmack too?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Tempora: We have an iPad 1 with iOS 5 and it runs fine. Go to Settings and "Upgrade" and let me know which version you have.

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

The text inputing is not very friendly now, too smart or stubborn: the bullet format always comes out automatically whenever I put number in the beginning of a paragraph.

About the like-dislike or karma button, I think it might be misused sometimes if the posters' names are shown. I have a funny (or silly) idea about how to use it:D

1.The orignial poster's name and pic should be shown as it is now and no +1/-1 for this post. This allows attention seekers or those who simply want to share info or ask for help/suggestion untouched.[br] 2. Hide the following poster's info behind two buttons: like-dislike/ fool-cool or whatever you like. This help people to score the post unbiased.[br] 3. After clicking the like-dislike button, we can see the poster's name and pic. Those who miscredit their friends or "enemies" can post their reply to make up the "catastrophe" and keep trolling as they used to be.[br] 4. For people who get: dislike-like>A, say, in a week, they will be banned for a few days. When they sign in, they should have a pop-up box with funny pic saying: "Venom" or whatever.[br] 5.For people who give out like-dislike>A, they will get a popup box saying:"Hypocrite".

It should be easily illustrated with pic, but I still can't upload from PC, and the bullets are so annoying. I don't know much about the general rules of internet forums, so take my suggestion with caution. lol

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] (continued) ... MengMeng ... the auto-numbering part sucks, but you can work around it if you dont mind a few extra key strokes, siimply holding the SHIFT key after you finish a line ... then you should see a "br" tag appearing, and the auto-numbering can be suppressed ... but, when they actually "fix“ it, it might be another complete new chapter ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
  • Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DD: We use a library that supports pulling videos out of most sites. No guarantee that all sites work, especially Chinese ones as this is a library developed outside China.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] (continued) ... the previous way that allows us to insert ANY SWF was perfect, so I really cannot understand why you guys opted this way ... anyway, if it helps, I think Sina Weibo supports all sites, you might want to have a look at that ... [br] by the way... why are all previously linked SWF crippled?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DD: Well Weibo is BIG, so I guess most Chinese sites would do the changes needed for their parser to pick up the data they need for sharing.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] (continued) ... I really cannot argue with that, it was a bad comparison anyway ... [br] [br] Then it makes even less sense with the new "embed" option, because no one can predict or control how many new sites turn up everyday (or every week, or every month) around China, left alone outside China ... and playing catch up is no fun ...

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Thanks 叮噹,I did that in the previous post. That's why I said it's annoying.

Just found that If I reedit my post, it become plain text, no bold, italic, hyperlink etc work, though what I see in the preview is normal.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。[br] [br] (continued) ...

Just found that If I reedit my post, it become plain text, no bold, italic, hyperlink etc work, though what I see in the preview is normal.[br] [br]

... this behaviour is what I was referring to as being "intermittent" ... there is a huge "luck" factor here ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。[br] [br] (continued) ... see if this can help explain the current issue of "hyperlink" ... [br] [br] I just added a comment in the "Thanksgiving" thread, and tried to set a hyperlink for 柯南, but when I saved it, it did not work ...[br] [br] So, I created a seperate post in the same thread, using the full URL as "link text" and it worked fine ... [br] [br] I then went back to edit it, and changed the "link text" to 柯南, and it failed ... [br] [br] Not intentionally, I then clicked on "page back", and instead of seeing [1 ]:, I saw a full line of HTML markup on the screen ...[br] [br] so, somehow, the page is using HTML markup, but not accepting HTML markup? [br] alt text

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。[br] [br] (continued)... the "preview pane" is not working ... [br] [br]

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... the forum search is not working ... whenever I click on "Next", the page crashes ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... just a test ...

[embed]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNzIxNzQ4NA==.html[/embed]

[10 minutes later] ... so ... even certain Youku.com video cannot be embedded ... ahhhhh ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.