Discussion » Technology » Does Steve Jobs really Changed the world?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:
    <p>there is a movie about how could he change the world we are living in. do you really believe that he changed our ways of living and interacting with each other?</p>
  • Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

NO, and how about your's ? people surround me got extensively affected.

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

they got many apple products and since jobs knew he would die soon. apple had launched their new products much quicker. i dont like ipad. useless to me

• Reply from 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) is flagged as not relevant.

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Who is Steve Jobs? What does he do?

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Sorry, I have no attitude, I am simply curious about who he is. Never mind, I'll google it... I know now. Flag my posts here irrelvent if the mods want to.

• Reply from 随便叫兽 is flagged as not relevant.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Yes he has changed our lives. While people are getting together, instead of talking, nowadays we spend much time on smart phone chatting or playing games. No one can deny his contribution to pushing technology thus far. Giving him alone the credits is what brings too much complaints.

Btw, I like to communion between the boy and the man. This is what is like between God and His son, they talk the same language and never contradict themselves. They support each other in good time and worse time

• Simen Wangberg

Mmmm, gooey from Xerox. Lost forevar.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Trolls gonna troll.

@Bi-Priest, you never fail to say something contrary to either me or DD, no matter how ridiculous it might be, and that's why we like you. You're so cute like that and I just wanna pinch your cheeks like sooo~

But Steve Jobs didn't invent the Internet, or smart phones, or mobile games. His company marketed novel ways of packaging these things into one tiny box. That's cool and clever but it's far from revolutionary, as the technology for doing all of these things has existed for ten years yet was, until recently, prohibitively expensive. Giving Steve Jobs credit for all that shit is like giving America credit for saving the world from the Axis powers during World War II.

In fact, the reason pre-iOS cellphone operating systems "sucked," as @Re-Pete said, is because every hardware manufacturer was using their own proprietary firmware so as to "lock out" applications from competing . They were built to be incompatible with everything else! It was a shitty business model, to say the least. Apple deserves credit for finally making a cell phone UI that almost had the functionality of a small computer, and for gaining enough of a market share quickly enough to force competitors to follow suit. Yet, it's still proprietary, so you have to jailbreak the iOS and replace it with a hacked version in order to even get all of the functionality from the device (which, though easily reversed, voids the warranty and makes the baby jesus cry).

Also, kudos to Apple for that novel scroll wheel on 1st gen iPods. Other than that, it's just a portable hard drive with audio output, you fucking sheeple.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

A fucking big YES!! He showed us with his death that alternative therapies can not treat a pancreatic cancer.... This was his last gift to us: Remember kids don´t give a shit to alternative medicine

• Simen Wangberg

I dunno man, I think it's glue. But hey hey hey hey, inhale toxic substances every day.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

My mind was open to that possibility, a little too open for my comfort. That'll be the last time I take a whiff of anything that Sasha says she acquired by wildly pantomiming head-enlarging gestures at shopkeeps.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Let me change the motto: Steve Jobs showed us that God doesn't give second chances.

• Reply from Simen Wangberg is flagged as not relevant.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"And the placebo effect you talk about is an important characteristic of the western medicine too."

Wait. What? No. The whole point of putting drugs through double-blind clinical trials is to eliminate the possibility that a drug's benefits are merely psychologically or culturally suggested. On the contrary, holistic medicine--being, well, concerned with the whole person rather than driving a clear distinction between mind and body--is largely dependent on the subject's suggestibility.

When empirically proven herbal remedies do pass double-blind clinical trials, chemists attempt to isolate and synthesize the chemicals they think are responsible; they've been doing this for a very long time, and you'll find that most of the drugs that we now consider "artificial" and "synthetic" are actually copied or at least derived from naturally-occurring molecules. Sometimes commodifying an herb as a drug is impossible; cannabis, for instance, has hundreds of different cannabinoids whose effects are still not clearly understood. This is why marinol tablets do not work, and medical marijuana users still smoke joints or use vaporizers.

There's a lot that's just totally fucking wrong about Western medicine, largely because, to the shareholders of major pharmaceutical companies, treatments are more profitable than cures. But I dislike this dichotomy between Western medicine and Traditional Chinese Medicine or other types of holism. There's effective medicine and there's ineffective medicine. Sometimes herbal remedies really are more suitable, but most of the time Traditional Chinese Medicine is just a lot of bullshit that might help you if your lucky, and at least is extremely unlikely to kill you if taken incorrectly.

Because Chinese doctors are butchers who over-prescribe everything because they're too lazy and under-equipped to run proper diagnostics. And China so many people.

tl;dr, Your brain just doesn't give much of a shit whether your ephedrine came from directly from a plant or was synthesized in a lab.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.