Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » High Score in TOEFL

• Coco
    Coco wrote:
    <p>Hi Everyone, Any good suggestion on how to get a high score in TOFEL ...</p>
  • Undermoonlight

Practice makes perfect~~

• Undermoonlight

I'm a pessimist~and I can tell you, the lady by the name of Coco, that you don't have that kind of apitude and will never match up with Anna~~To be realistic~ 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I skipped TOEFL, which explained my terrible English, so perhaps a stupid question, how difficult is it? and what kind of score does one (e.g. Coco) need to get?

• Reply from Linn Nesse is flagged as not relevant.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

basically you don't need to do anything for preparing it. I mean, it's not GRE or GMAT (esp GMAT), which are "test in English". TOEFL is the simpliest "test of english" that I can imagine, and it just proves people's most BASIC ability in English. Yeah, I mean it, I spent 0 days in preparing for it and got a 110+, but my english still sucks.

If you want some advice...umm

listening and speaking: hang around and talk bullshit with newly known guys and gals from english speaking countries gets completely no use in improving your listening and speaking, esp. speaking, coz topics are generally too shallow. If you have a real good friend who speaks english, that may helps, but for the speaking test in TOEFL, you don't need to do that. Topics of speaking test in TOEFL are for elementary school kids, e.g."do you think kids should learn drawing?" (I was like "WTF you're expecting me to say on this?!"). So, preparing for TOEFL speaking is kind of like preparing yourself an idiot who doesn't have instinctive aversion to stupidness of those sick questions, and take them as serious topics and talking bullshit for some half minute. As for listening, I don't know. some of my friends suggest that you may want to watch some TV series and MIT open course lectures. Sounds make sense huh?

Reading, umm, comparatively the easiest part for Chinese right? only advice is: do not read novels (too many adjectives), do not read magazines (too many word tricks and buzzword), read academic papers. 

Writing...again, I don't know.

Good luck~

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Find someone who speak the Englishes real good like. Kill 'em and eat their heart to gain all their skills and abilities, like talking pretty. Take the test. Nail it. Smoke a cigarette afterwards.

Or do what Da Fan said, but also do epic shit like learn how to program an old VCR using an English instruction manual. Narrate everything you do in English.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.