Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » China has 57 ethnic groups???

• A.w
    A.w wrote:
    <p><strong>Chinese Jewish descendants start a new life in Israel</strong></p> <p>Descendants of Persian traders in Kaifeng, China, move to Israel with the help of a religious group and finally learn Jewish rules and traditions.</p> <p>Reporting from Jerusalem and Beijing &mdash; As a child growing up in Kaifeng in central China, Jin Jin was constantly reminded of her unusual heritage.</p> <p>"We weren't supposed to eat pork, our graves were different from other people, and we had a mezuza on our door," said the 25-year-old, referring to the prayer scroll affixed to doorways of Jewish homes.</p> <p>At first, Jin and others were indignant about the need to formally convert to Judaism.</p> <p>"According to me and my family, we were always Jewish," she said. "I was confused why we needed to go through the conversion process."</p> <p>But after she started studying in Jerusalem, Jin said, she realized how little she knew of Jewish traditions and rules.</p> <p>Jin eventually became such an expert in prayers before meals, Freund said, that she stumped him at a dinner with other Jews from Kaifeng at a kosher sushi restaurant, where they discussed which prayer should be uttered first: the one for the rice or for the fish.</p> <p>"This is something that I, or most Jews for that matter, would never have given a second thought," Freund said. "It shows how much they can add to Judaism."</p> <p>.....</p> <p>"I feel Israel is my home and I'm more comfortable here," said Wang, who now refers to himself as Yaakov. "Israelis help you out when you need it; it's like belonging to a big family."</p> <p>After his conversion, Wang plans to become a rabbi to help Kaifeng Jews immigrate to Israel. If he succeeds, he will be the first Chinese rabbi in almost 200 years.</p> <p>"The government is still worried about religion and its negative effects," said Xu Xin, director of the Institute of Jewish Studies at Nanjing University. "They worry it will affect stability and encourage fundamentalism."</p> <p>Ultimately, the government sees organized religion as a challenge to its power and state-sponsored atheism.</p> <p>Along with a newfound freedom of religion, the 14 Kaifeng Jews are looking forward to stretching their political wings.</p> <p>"The first time I went to vote, it was raining hard and three of us went together," Jin recalled. "I was so proud. For everyone else there it was just another election, but for us, it was the beginning of a new life."</p> <p><em>Haas is a news assistant in The Times' Beijing bureau.</em></p> <p>Link:<a href="http://articles.latimes.com/2011/oct/16/world/la-fg-china-jews-20111016">Chinese Jews feel more at home in Israel</a></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>56? 57? or even more?</p> <p><em><br /></em></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p><strong><br /></strong></p>
  • Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

i guess there are more than the official 56 manorities in China. It depends how you distinguish each ethinc group. The communists simply grouped them up at the beginning of the ppl's rep without caring too much who is who. I remember a documentry film on an ethnic group living at the border of Mongolia, China and some part of the Khasakian border, the folk is basically divided into two sub groups now but their origin was once one unit. only because their culture feature some mongolian traits (one of their old time leader used to be a mongolian noble), they have been put into the bigger mongolian family by PRC. They even dont speak mongolian!

• Webslave
    Webslave wrote:

SB is not an ethnic group, it can be anyone.

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

SB can cover all the nations, all the ethnic groups on the earth.

• 随便叫兽

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.