Discussion » Current Events » Wikileaks is closing

• Father Of Boring
    Father Of Boring wrote:
    <p>They say they ran out of money thanks to "an arbitrary and unlawful financial blockade" that "has destroyed 95 percent of our revenue." &nbsp;Youch.</p> <p>http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/10/24/141649293/wikileaks-suspends-operations-may-have-to-close</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Good riddance. Other whistleblowing sites like OpenLeaks still exist and are not burdened with the dubious representation of a human liability named Julian Assange. While I was impressed when Anonymous went after the credit card companies and PayPal for breaking Wikileaks' tip-jar, I honestly think it was motivated as much by geek misogyny as information libertarianism.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Then get the fuck off my Internet.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Eva,

The U.S. State Department pressured Visa, Mastercard, Paypal, and other firms to cut off Wikileak's money supply.

Hacktivists collectively referring to themselves as Anonymous responded by launching denial-of-service attacks against groups which they considered to be obstacles to total information freedom. The attacks were mostly ineffective but incredibly embarrassing, because Anonymous is really more of a group of bored teenagers than dangerous international hackers. A few amateurs were prosecuted to be made examples of.

Here's a more objective take on things.

As for the misogyny angle, I would note that when rape charges were brought against Assange, the nerd community was furious. Although we are often progressive on a number of disparately related social issues, nerd culture is still dominated by straight white guys who have difficulty maintaining healthy dialogues with women.

Anti-feminist backlash is palpable in the Anonymous community, where geeks run the entire spectrum from "Tits or GTFO, go back to the kitchen and make me a sandwich" outright misogyny to the gently patronizing attitudes of Nice Guys.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

BTW, no matter how I die, it was murder.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Eva, I hope for your sake that you won't be involved, because there is a very good chance that The Conspiracy will make my homicide look like accidental suicide by autoerotic asphyxiation, and that ain't gonna be a pretty crime scene.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.