Discussion » Beijing Life » its smog not fog, is beijing in denial about its p

• Regan
    Regan wrote:

It seems everyone here likes to call beijings air pollution fog, are they in denial or do they not realise the difference between fog and smog, smog is air POLLUTION  fog is related to water vapour condensation, although they both reduce visibilty its an insult to fog to be confused with pollution.

• pommie
    pommie wrote:

Today is very foggy. I guess it's like this in London every day?

• Joakim Lund Rangel

The term smog, a contraction of smoke and fog, was introduced in 1905 by Dr. H.A. des Vœux to describe the mixture of soot, sulfuric acid, and other pollutants in emissions from coal furnaces in London. The city has been affected by smog since the times of King Edward I (1272-1307), who was the first to try to forbid the use of coal in London.

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

Yes,Beijing denied, claimed the quality of air was the same as that during Olympic games :(

• Kevin Brekke
    Kevin Brekke wrote:

we all gonna die here. LOL

• Rick (史大龙)

I love all of the excuses here in China about this, I see the communist doctrine is still working, “don't question, just agree and move on”! haha The last time I checked, when the sun comes out and it’s noon or later the “fog” burns off…

• Joakim Lund Rangel

Beijing should ban cars within the 1st ring road. Allow only bikes, scooters and taxis. That would probably not be enough to kill the smog, but at least it`s good bye to being stuck in the traffic.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

...[br] [br] Hahahahaha ... and buses ...

• Simen Wangberg

Fog vs. smog: the government needs a language partner.

No it's not a language thing, they just do what they do.

Also, it require decades of living in the city for the smog to cause any kind of significant, long-lasting damage. Thus negating any and all complaints lodged by anyone but the lao-est of Beijingers.

Your throat is sore and you're coughing a lot because temperatures are changing (winter is coming, just FYI) and Beijing is dry as fuck. Deal with it.

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

Good idea Joakim.

I live and work within the 2nd ring, I'd like they do the ban within the 2nd ring so that I can use a bike or my feet to my company...however, this can only be a dream on another planet, to think some old pedestrian streets (eg. NLGX) are full of cars nowdays.

Not all the buses use gasoline, here we have 13996 green buses and I'm sure the number is already old.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.