Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » “美國佬”還 “鬼佬”

• Bryan (賴宏杰)
    Bryan (賴宏杰) wrote:
    <p>I realize that both the expressions 美國佬 and 鬼佬(in Hong Kong) are considered as negative or impolite ways to call foreigners.&nbsp; Let me begin by saying I think that very few if any Chinese people still use these expressions.&nbsp; I know my Chinese friends always get upset when I call myself 美國佬.&nbsp; For me, they are just expressions and I think it's kind of stupid to be upset by words.&nbsp; So to all of you foreigners, how do you feel about these expressions?&nbsp; Are you even aware of them?&nbsp; Would you really care if someone called you that?&nbsp; For me, I don't care if anyone uses them, I think it's funny.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... and I think I missed your birthday last week, or the week before? Anyway, happy b-day!

Perhaps to clarify a little bit ... the word or character 佬, is a slang for "man" or "guy" in Cantonese, probably not commonly found or used in Mandarin? And although it looks similar to "老", they carry different meaning and purpose!

In a very slang-ish way, a girl can address her man (husband or BF) in Cantonese as 我条仔, or 我个佬 ...

However, using 佬 like what Bryan suggested, it changes the meaning yet again ... confused? you have not heard it all yet, heehee ...

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

yeah , next  time call urself american trash in front of ur Chinsee friends , they will think that's funny. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.