Discussion » Nonsense » Who are the most influential people

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    <p>Am doing a project and have created a list of people already but would like some input.</p> <p>Who do you think are the most globally influential people in history. And why?</p> <p>Any field..</p>
  • Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I have been unduly influenced by the UK National Curriculumn, and for that I sincerely apologise.

Jesus of Nazareth

Adolf Hitler

Mao Zedong

Karl Marx

German Johannes Gutenberg

Charles Darwin

Leonardo Da Vinci

Diogenes

Mikhail Kalashnikov

William Shakespeare

Galileo Galilei

Abu al-Qasim Khalaf Al-Zahrawi

Robert Oppenheimer

George Orwell

Napoleon Bonaparte

Emile Cohl

Siddhartha Gautama

Pol Pot

George Best

Homer (doh)

Gaius Julius Caesar

Bon Jovi

Socrates

Morrissey

Tim Berners Lee

Beethoven

Hippocrates

Galen

Vladmir Lenin

Mike Judge

Frank Zappa

Steve Jobs (snigger)

Churchill

Hong Xiuquan

Alexander The Great

Ptolemy

James Lovelock

Albert Einstein

Chaucer

Lin Yutang

Josef Stalin

George Stephenson

Abraham Lincoln

Confucious

Genghis Kahn

Voltaire

(IN THAT ORDER)

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Pheeeww! Thought you'd forgot our beloved Steve! Feeling better now!

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

@ Carlos:

Would you like to share the reasons why you put Hong Xiuquan and Lin Yutang on the list?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

My list is a bit meaningless really.

Lin Yutang is my favourite Chinese writer' he is the Chinese equivalent of England's Samuel Johnson, and probably did more to bridge the gap of Cultural (mis)understanding between China and 'the West' than anybody else last century, at least Pearl Buck thought so. He also invented the Chinese Type-writer (no mean feat), and wrote the most authoritative Chinese to English dictionary. His book 'The Importance of Living’ is almost a bible to me (in parts).

Hong Xiuquan, while clearly a mad man, was responsible for the most devastating civil war in history (Taiping Rebellion, 25 million deaths), which sufficiently weakened the Qing dynasty, so that by a few decades later it was no more. Thus laying the path for modern China, pretty influential, no?. Saying that I kinda put him in just for the crack...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Astaroth, you did use the word 'influential' and you did write 'any field'. And if you don't mind me saying so, in terms of what you were looking for, your original post was a bit useless, but no matter- you have changed your criteria.

The rest of the world may not know this person, but China does make up 20% of the world. And a list without a couple of Chinamen would have been a little vulgar in my opinion. Edward Said would be most disappointed in you, you naughty, naughty boy...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I'll give you Hendrix over the legend that is Bon Jovi...

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

Most?........武则天。。。

Most? Elizabeth  I

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

and Nelson Mandela  of course......The long walk to freedom.....

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

GLOBAL INFLUENCE?    According the history since when different countries became to connect each other and share their minds and culture....?

that depends on lots aspects.......that's why people hard to define a history man....

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

@ Carlos:

Like what you said about Lin Yutang despite he's not my favourite Chinese writer (Do I have a favourite one? Seems no...) . Lu xun taught us how to fight, while Lin taught us how to live a life ( other than survival) , how to be humorous, how to enjoy the nature, how to enjoy life...He was nominated for Nobel Prize by Pearl Buck yet it didn't work because he wrote in English >.<

I also like Gu Hongming from that time. He's a weirdo.

Hong Xiuquan...I don't think he did that much influence of putting an end of the last dynasty. However I like to know your opinion of him.

Don't think this thread will lead anywhere we can reach some agreement, but the readers probably would know some names they never heard of. 

@ Jenny:

I think it's easy to define.

Yesterday is history. What has happened is the history.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

yes...Astaroth   that make things simple....to understand.....

and yes Star Neophilia   yes terday is histroy in one way.....

ya two make that a bit simple to understand ....

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

I like the list from Carlos.

I'd ad some other people such as.

Gandhi

Patrice Emery Lumumba

Moses

George Washington 

Mother Theresa

St Paul

Malcolm X

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Non-political, guys. I think Astaroth wants inventors and creators, as opposed to leaders, opinion formers and spiritual types...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Star,

you are right on a personal level Hong Xiuquan didn't do much to end the last dynasty, but the civil war did weaken the Qing dynasty a lot, which may have had some effect in the long run. Anyway the guy was clearly mad, didn't he think e was Jesus' brother or something?

Love Lu Xun, but have not heard of Gu Hongming, will check him out...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Positive influence, yes.

Is history not a litany of slaughter?

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

"Gandhi"?

haha, you like racist?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2003/oct/17/southafrica.india

Gandhi branded racist as Johannesburg honours freedom fighter

You regard a racist as some influential person?

I met lots of Indians, they are the most snaky and dirty people, always talk nice words, but do dirty things behind you. If you and an Indian apply the same position, and the interviewer is Indian, you will lose definitely no matter how better you are than the other Indian candidate.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

I don't think inventor are much more influence than other influential Astaroth. All these people are intertwined. People have to come up with concepts that can make an innovator's work done.

• №❶ Passioη

what about High Priests? A woman once punched the pope in the face, that wouldn't have happened if...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

No Passion, please finish ur statement:)

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

this forum should've added a location in the title, i think local ppl could barely agree with all the names have been listed

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Osama Bin Laden

in b4 someone else forgets that "influential" is a value-neutral term

• Saint - Spartacus

Philip K. Dick

J. G. Ballard

Friedrich Nietzsche

george orwell

karl marx

Albert Einstein

andy warhol

marcel duchamp

john cage

lu xun

emir kusturica

Alfred Hitchcock

virginia woolf

Beatriz preciado

Pina bausch

mark zuckerberg

chris cunningham

jimi hendrix

kurt cobain

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

So what if that's military (or in ObL's case, para-military)? Political power comes from the barrel of a gun. I've thought about this question and I think it shouldn't be politicized.

Osama bin Laden provoked ten years of American military interventionism. His influence over world affairs is undeniable. I'm earnestly surprised no one has listed him yet.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

Genghis Khan?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Filter out religion and politics and you're going to be left with a pretty short list. Your list would exclude most philosophers (Enlightenment, Confucian, Buddhist, etc.), entrepreneurs (politics and business are inseparable), and, of course, no influential leaders of any sort.

You'll be left with a couple of uniquely brilliant scientists who few people have even heard about. How're you going to prove that they're influential?

De-harmonize your criteria.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Be more specific about the audience and you can make a list that conforms to their shallow prejudices. Or just trust that an educated audience understands that "influence" can be a good or a bad thing.

Margaret Sanger founded the American Birth Control League which would later become Planned Parenthood.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

...but certainly not harmonious or non-political.

• Bryan (賴宏杰)

Sun Yat-Sen! 

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Rockstar, that mean we've got to include Michael Jackson too, right? This guy was something, wasn't he?

• Saint - Spartacus

Simone de Beauvoir is not a feminist ... ...  she's a tragic figure and all her life is influenced by sartre ... ...  that's really shit ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

WHo created chop sticks and Sandals please? I's like to know their names.

We can't ignore chop sticks creator as the majority of the world population rely on them, Sandals as well.

• Coma
    Coma wrote:

维仔

• Coma
    Coma wrote:

Wittgenstein, Bertrand Russell and John Rawls

• Reply from Ataahua is flagged as not relevant.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

why r u so mean to flag my posts irrevant? how dare u think dando n dd uncle not influential? why can u harsasse me while i cant return ur favours? hahahaha~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'cause u r scared to have ur little secrets explosed, arent u?

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

u know what professor scott? im trying to get the permission to live on this site as you guys do ~~~~~~~~~ of course my world should be narrowed down

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.