Discussion » Beijing Life » Living in Beijing

• a
    a wrote:
    <p>I will move to Beijing in a month,&nbsp;any suggestion where to live?</p> <p>also: i will live alone and like Chinese guests</p> <p>Chinese are welcome to stay at my place - no need to pay rent</p> <p>the only thing that i ask is that you teach me more about China</p> <p>please message me if you are interested</p> <p>D</p>
  • High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

U mean Chinese men or females?

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

i'm just so suprised by ppl's "ideas"

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

but this one is definitely one out ten comparing to the other post, looking for a girl to share one-bedroom,hilariously stupid

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Tina, wlib got genious members

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

tell me about it!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Hey lay-deeeeeeeeeez.

You're welcome to stay at my place anytime. Sex is optional, but cuddling is not.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I am an European from the city of Europe in the country of Europe on the continent of Europe and at an unspecified point in the future I will be leaving Europe to move back to Beijing. Could you show me piece of city which containing sustainable organic agriculture?

I has a special fertilizer what has nothing at all to do with my fondness for foundlings.

I'm from Europe.

• №❶ Passioη

It's not wrong to be gay... It's wrong to target the wrong victims...

• Simen Wangberg

I've received the occasional special treatment for being a foreigner here, but I think being "treated like a king" is far from the experience most of us have. I think most of the people who talk about China (Chinese and foreigners alike) still think it's the '90s or something. Or maybe everyone is just really out of touch with reality.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I get special treatment for being a foreigner all the time. It's one of the reasons I never, ever complain about living in China.

But I also recognize that it's a way for some Chinese people to gloat as though they are better than other Chinese people, because foreigners are "special."

"Look at how hospitable I am toward my foreign friend, who was born in the lap of luxury but is nonetheless impressed by the comforts I have offered him!"

Some white dudes are even offered jobs as window dressing for important conferences, to make domestic firms seem international. Being able to stomach sea cucumber and baijiu seems to be the prime qualification for this sort of "work."

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

...or carrying a chihuahua in a designer handbag.

• Father Of Boring

I have been in this city for years, and nothing makes me angrier than the fact that all these fucking Chinese people and all these fucking foreigners treat me like a reclusive, immature jerk.  I am sick of all the SHIT I get from Chinese people and foreigners.  I wish all these Chinese people and foreigners would learn some respect!  

• Simen Wangberg

I didn't include job opportunities in my personal definition of "special treatment," although I suppose they qualify.

The only real special treatment I've received outside of the working world has been when I do something stupid and Chinese people forgive me for it, although I know in their mind, they are saying "damn, another retarded laowai." But that's alright. I just try to be respectful.

• Father Of Boring

I mean, this one time I was peeing on a bush, right?  And this was right outside the gates of Gongti, and then this group of Chinese chicks walked by, and they were like "GROSS!  God I hate all these drunk people!"  Bitches!  

Then, these Brazilian models walked by, and they were all like, "The toilet's over there, you asshole!"  Bitches!

And then there was this one time, I was renting an apartment, and this Chinese roommate was like, "Don't smoke in the house, ok?"  Dick.  So I moved right the fuck out of there and moved in with this Russian guy, who was all, "If you gotta smoke in the house, can you go in the kitchen and turn the fan on?"  Fucking DICKS.  

I am so sick of foreigners and Chinese people!

• №❶ Passioη

@ Father of Boring - You got my brain cracking for a while wondering where I saw that face

hehe, now I remember it was you attacked by a chinese gang in SanLiTun for peeing on flowers (not "a bush") by the road a few meters away from the toilet...

I could have helped out but at first I didn't know the reason. Sorry buddy

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Hmph. I guess all piss-drunk white dudes look the same to you.

• Father Of Boring

The area I live in is pretty cheap - Taiyanggong/Zuojiazhuang/Xibahe.  The apartments are old, but they're deceptively close to everything - I'm two stops away from Dongzhimen, and right inside the third ring road, 2br 75-80 square meters 3500/month total.  On a bike, it's 20 minutes from Sanlitun, 30 to Gulou, and even less by taxi.  The only drawback is, it's an older apartment, and it has...quirks.  It's kind of a sweet spot on the price map.  I'm going to say the same thing about Shuiduizi, Hongmiao, and the areas south of Chaoyang Park.

Shuangjing/Jinsong are where all the OL's you see in Guomao live.  Prices for older apartments are very reasonable.  

Hepingli is where all the people too cool for you live, so if you live there, you can be one of them.  Also older area, cheap.  

Stay far away from Qingnianlu, Dougezhuang, Chaoyang Park, and Tuanjiehu.  The price inflation along that road is insane.  Wangjing is...eh.  Expensive for what you get.  Lido/Jiuxianqiao is nothing but peasants and old, weird expats looking for a bargain on the peasant prostitutes.  

Chunxiulu, Dongsishitiao, South Sanlitun, Sanlitun proper, and that whole region around Gongti is not worth it, at all, in terms of the apartment you get.  

Gulou/Guijie/Jiaodaokou et al are "inner Beijing" and most of what you'll find in your price range (hey, if you're on this site and asking for advice on cheap places to live, you ain't about to spend 6k on an apartment) will be modified courtyards.  Charming-ish, but, fuck it, I like heat and plumbing that doesn't clog.  Plus, all it takes to break into your apartment there is a bolt cutter.  Most apartments you wouldn't get immediate sticker shock from just have padlocks on the doors.  

Wudaokou, no.  No.

Anything on the west/south/north side, no.  

Anything outside of the east fourth ring, including Shunyi, is too far.  

• Simen Wangberg

FOB is pretty much right on the money. Eheheh acronyms are funny. Although my friends and I recently found a dead-cheap place in Dongsishitiao, but it's the exception to the rule.

I didn't realize you could find cheap places up by Taiyanggong, although one of the guys I've been jamming with lately lives up there and he said it isn't bad at all.

• Sasha 莎莎 Wang

Slighty creepy.

• Simen Wangberg

"Slighty creepy."

Maybe even more than slightly - but not as bad as the girl whose heart was taken away, can anyone help her out, etc etc.

• Father Of Boring

@毛爷爷 - Oh, very much they have cheap places in Taiyanggong.  I'm a cheap, cheap bastard, and told this agent I wanted something around 3k, and I was shown quite a few.  

EVERY apartment I saw would require some work, moving things around, swapping some furniture & maybe buying more, but that's part of the fun of moving, fixing up your new place.  My living room looked like a crack den when I moved in, but plants, an 80 kuai shelf from the 2nd-hand market, a cheap LCD TV, and a few posters on the wall make it look like a nicer crack den.  I also had the agent call their people in to do some work on the pipes, closet doors (add hinges & handles), and toilet.  

I think, if the OP lived in BJ in 2000 vs. today, that's one of the biggest things about living here that's changed.  In 2000, if you rented an apartment, there were 2 types - puke green & tile & exposed pipes, and "international" apartments with wood-framed everything.  In the intervening years, the city has learned something about interior decoration, and now agents and landlords expect that you'll want to modify the furnishings.  And in older apartments, you'll walk in, and you'll see all the furniture looking like something out of a trash heap.  That's because it is, especially if agents manage it.  Be very, very aware of the prices of secondhand appliances and furniture, because those prices are trivial, and you can and should make requests.  That massive ancient TV they won't let you throw away is 50 kuai, those crappy folding chairs are 5 per, the coffee table is 100 if it's not chipped or scratched, the couch is 200-400, random wooden stands and tables are 100-200, and even an extra air conditioner is only 8-900.  An upright washing machine is 4-700.  Personally I've got a lot of mileage in the past by accepting the rent they quote and then asking for furniture/repairs/extra appliances/cleaning/repainting.  

There are 2ndhand furniture markets, there is freecycle, and there are moving sales all over thebeijinger.  Oh, and the local hardware store guy knows how to fix everything in your house.  At least in old Beijing neighborhoods, renting is an exercise in creativity, but it's fun.  So OP, if you've been living down south/out west, be ready for that change.  In Beijing, if you want to move in to a nice, new, managed place where everything works, you will pay almost double the price of an older apartment for the privilege.  With the rise in rents in the last 5 years, it's just not worth it anymore.

• Father Of Boring

@Dabizi - Dude, take it to couchsurfing.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.