Discussion » Nonsense » Apple CEO Steve Jobs dead

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

Apple CEO Steve Jobs has died, Apple announced. ABC Newsand other news organizations reported the death earlier this evening. Jobs was 56 years old and had been fighting pancreatic cancer.

------------

feel so sad about this news :(

he is a great guy 

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

May he soul Rest In Peace.

High Priest

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Steve Jobs was an asshole. Like Gates, he was more of an entrepreneur than an innovator, and he constantly took credit for the ideas of his underlings. There is a special place for him in hell.

• Checkered
    Checkered wrote:

As always, the bells of worship and hatred are knelling at the same time.

This man dedicated his life to jobs.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

He is a great marketer, product manager, and entrepreneur, that's all.

Without Jobs, Apple cannot be like what it is like today; but without Jobs, believe me or not, people would be using similar products with no essential differences with Apple's, and most importantly, at a much lower price. 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Open source wizards and other true hackers who have done truly epic shit will die in obscurity and all that will be left of them will be the code they wrote, which we will still be using without even knowing it. Technology is not a product of individual vision. Business plans are. Technology is a product of collectives.

Weep for the understated ergonomic simplexity of your flaccid little iCocks, and rest assured that all Steve Jobs did to produce the device was sign a few checks and yell at people.

What a fucking hero.

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

Priscilla Regina: Smart people usually take inspiration from innovators who achieves great things. Hate isn't gonna take you anywhere.

• Simen Wangberg

"I like Apple stuff, but I'm one of their gruppies. But to say that he is just a business man and he just stole ideas from other people it is just BS... Continue to masturbate, as this is your only contribution to the world..."

Most of the folks who bashed him here preceded their comments with "he was a great entrepreneur/marketer, BUT" - they recognized the contributions he made, if that's what you want to call them.

Have you recognized the contributions that his small army of engineers and programmers have made, and will continue to make, even years after his death?

Not to mention Jobs' history of hijacking the ideas of others is well-documented - it is hardly "BS". That doesn't mean it isn't a good business practice - it certainly makes for great business. But that doesn't change the fact that doing so is a total asshole move.

Oh well. You already admitted that you're an Apple fanboy, so I guess there's no point in posting a rebuttal, as it will probably just look like "HERPDERP I HATE APPLE WAUGHBAUGH" to you.

And I WILL continue to masturbate, although I did not require your encouragement to do so previously. Thanks anyway.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Oh noes! I mades the "guppy" buttmad 'cuz I says mean things about his religion!

I recognize the work he did on the Apple ][ on which I played Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. When I hold my iPod, I recognize the work of Foxconn employees, among many, many others. Problem?

• Simen Wangberg

Are there seriously people gathering to mourn at the Apple store? I might've just thrown up a little bit in my mouth. Jesus flaming Christ on a pogostick. I hate everything today.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Good luck they launched iCloud so he could go iDead to iHeaven :-)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"I guess that's why Apple employees BLAH BLAH UNVERIFIED PR HORSESHIT"

Of course Apple employees have nothing to complain about. Foxconn employees, on the other hand...

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Yay let's flame about fact checking!

What @Me In Beijing, are you serious? Jobs got rated as a better CEO than ... a dude who is not even CEO. Ok, I guess you got your facts right this time. You know, Michael Phelps also swims faster than people who don't swim. Guess it's important to say.

• Nicole Webber
    Nicole Webber wrote:

Kent Løset  Are you a male chauvinist?  I am sure the female community would be enthralled to hear your views on hate?  

Your reference to Priscilla Regina:   of her post as being ‘Hate posting?  ‘ Hate isn't gonna take you anywhere’

• However you ignore Astaroth Rust in Pieces motherfucker.
    •  Dando Z 随便叫  Steve Jobs was an asshole. AND Weep for the understated ergonomic simplexity of your flaccid little iCocks, and rest assured that all Steve Jobs did to produce the device was sign a few checks and yell at people.What a fucking hero

• Simen Wangberg

Oooh. That don't look good.

In further defense of "Priscilla Regina" (where do you come up with these names?), she writes cranky stuff like that all the time. Cos she's a crankypants. Most of us are, though.

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

苹果的利润要降低很多了, 之前就是靠steve jobs的个人声誉, 他们省了很多广告费。

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Just watching the reporting of his death on Chinese TV. The manufactured outpouring of grief is bizarre to say the least, really baffling, and frankly unnerving.

@Me In Beijing Gandhi's contribution to the world was fairly significant... more than just a 'few speeches' 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

The gap between financial success and social value is precisely what justifies us in mocking him.

He made a lot of money from other people's ideas. That doesn't make him an innovator. That makes him a manager at best, and a useless technocratic gatekeeper at worst, like Thomas Edison. I am inclined to believe the latter because iOS is antithetical to open-source standards, which are the unsung technological breakthroughs that permitted the development of the virtual economy in the first place.

Give credit where credit is due. He was rich. Good for him. He's still an asshole. But so were Gandhi and Mother Theresa.

• Father Of Boring

I think jobs gets credit for driving Apple away from hardware.  Sure, the hardware is nice, but there's much, much more to that company.  Consider this: 

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n19/daniel-soar/it-knows

They were really the only hardware company to develop into a media distribution platform as well.  I'm repeating from a forum I read discussing that article, but they're like Nintendo in that they sell hardware as entry points to their own software and media environments.  Jobs was the key driver behind that change, and his true legacy, whether he deserves blame or credit for it, will be that he got Apple into the media business, and the business of knowing everything about its customers.

• Father Of Boring

Oh right, and, Pixar!!!!  

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:

It just shows that being rich and succesful is much less appriciated than beeing poor. Sorry, but i don't really know what contribution Ganhdi made to the world except givng few speaches...Same with all the rest.

Fucking idiot.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

someone fought a lone battle, welcome to the club~~~~~~~

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

I've been told that the girl he liked long time ago , her family had an apple farm, that's why he named his company Apple.

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

@ scott: r u saying that what i've heard was bullshit?  i'd rather believe shit. why do u have to argue with a dead person. why can't u just let him die with some romantic dreams?

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

• Silje Linnerud

LOL, but sorry, dead people don't dream. 

• Checkered
    Checkered wrote:

"... all the dead people smile as they watch us getting lost in a dream..."

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Kyle ... being bitten by the lazy bugs in Sydney, who actually said "mobile lives amazing"?

This sounds so 70's or 80's, when Sony brought us all these Walk-something, and people became further apart, and yet closer together ...

The phrase "mobile lives" is of course very much related to the internet, which was meant to bring people closer together, but it would seem that, at the same time, we are all living further apart from each other ... imagine one day, we might be sitting in Starbucks or Bar Blue, and instead of talking to each other orally, we use bluetooth to pick up random strangers, we use mobile chat (or similar) to talk ... that would be a very cold world ...

[and 10 min later] ...never mind, . Kyle, I was bored, so I actually read through most of the discussion ... 

Biz wise, if the product is not a phone, or a tablet, would it have been such a craze? I cannot say whether he did change the world, but his products (or rather, Apple's products) had, and similarly, Ford had changed the world too, and so (again) had Sony, perhaps beyond your particular age group? 

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

I could listen again to Jacko, afters he died.

But I still would never buy an apple product.

Apple is evil. Only Linux contributed to a better world.

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Talking about "making mobile life amazing": Nothing is more annoying when people think you are available 24 / 7 on mobile phone. Thats maybe the only good thing on the iPhone: The battery sucks.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee .. as a matter of fact, when I do go out, I dont often pay attention to what others do in cafe or restaurant ... by the way, are you in town? I got a missed call a few nights ago, not sure if it was you or Val (I removed the number) ... 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"But think how many trees iPad saves"

"how many people you think Ghandi raised from poverty and how many people you think people like Jobs raised from poverty"

None, none, and none! Institutions raise people from poverty, not individuals, and the notion that the iPad made paper obsolete is absolutely ridiculous. But keep dreaming!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

You wouldn't know intelligence if it crawled up your asshole and gave your prostate a handshake.

Steve Jobs did not invent .pdf technology. There were plenty of devices that performed these tasks before the iPad. Just because they made these tasks marginally more convenient doesn't mean Steve Jobs saved a fucking rainforest.

Steve Jobs also did not personally employ all of those people. He just happened to be at the top of the organizational pyramid. He's an entrepreneur, not an innovator. Pry open a dictionary and apprise yourself of the distinction.

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

Dear Steve,
    Thank you for setting a fine example for the future innovators of the world, may they continue to make the world a better place, one breakthrough at a time. RIPDear Steve,
    Thank you for setting a fine example for the future innovators of the world, may they continue to make the world a better place, one breakthrough at a time. RIP.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

kevin bro, why did u bother to let these bunches of so called smartassholes who think them the best in he world to know what u think about jobs? plenty of better places to share real feelings~~~~~~~~~this forum especially this section is where we poooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

man who fights alone aka me in beijing~~~~~~~~~~~they r not idiots, idiots dont wanna share others' contributions to the world~~~~~~~~~~idiots have their own fun other than spendling life time here trying to make a fame

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

ohhhhhhhhhhhyyyaaaaaaaaa thats why i thought they just deserve to see my feet

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

Phil Jackson make me missing of JORDAN 

he is great man too 

i still have the movie MAX JORDAN 

watch it some time.

-----------

@ata 

easy easy 

let them have fun from the narrow selffish arrogant mind 

we will still keeping love those thing peoples who make the world better

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

kevin bro i fucking know, hahahaahhhhh im just too happy today~~~~~~~

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@You,

>implying people printed their eBooks before iPad, instead of (gasp) not showing off your elite gadget on the subway
    >implying I give a shit about Ban Ki-Moon
    >implying you can't read .pdfs on first generation netbooks

The fact that you get so emotional and call people idiots and masturbators because they don't give a shit about the death of the guy who ran the company that made your fashionable electronics devices makes you seem like a fucking genius.

Enjoy your celebrity hero worship.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

We can come with different analogies to show how Jobs wasn't great and he didn't achieve anything by himself..., but the world would still recognize him as one of the men who brought more innovations in our time.

As for Ipad saving trees: Do u know the majority of the people around the world who still can't afford buying a Desktop? Laptop is still a luxury for them. How much more an Ipad, Iphone...? People; I'd urge to travel around the world and see how miserable people are, some still even can't afford a single meal for a day. Do they even know what is Pu**y, oops sorry PC.

Anyone questioning Ghandhi's Or mother theresa's achievement needs a rendez-vous with a psyshologist. I'm serious.

The only things I can criticize apple of , is that Apple made all of Apple worshipers supporters of rape and mass killing in the areas where they extract coltan that is being used in the manufacturing of chips...http://congojustice.org/

I hate Appel as other stated above>>>FOXCOM.

High Priest

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

In China the gouvernment tolerates that Foxconn does not respect labour rights.

But this is not the point. Lets put it this way: Who is wrong if someone is killed in a shooting sprea? The gun man, the police who did not arrest him on time or even the people who happened to walk by?

What I dont understand is why people like MIB can have such an emotional connection with their electronic.  Even if the iPad were better than any other Mp3-Player (which is proven to be not the case. My Cowon has a better sound, longer lasting batteries and a higher userfriendlyness as Cowon does not use any dirty tricks to cheat the consumers) it is still only an eletronic device.

A world without apple would be a better world.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Your domestic character sets lack 屄. U JELLY?

屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄 I AM VAGINAL ULTRAMAN 屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄 I'M BLASTING THIS THREAD WITH PINK LASERS 屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄屄

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Nope. What's the matter, can't recognize a B when you see one or 28 of them?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

How timely and relevant.

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Don't think his death is worth days of news reporting and all the worship, but he was a pretty interesting fellow.  Like the Thomas Edison of today I guess.

To bad he had to go so painfully though.  Cancer is not such a pleasant way to go.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Thomas Edison was widely known to have stolen the ideas of his employees and exploit patents as well. There is no contradiction, Rockstar. Open a history book.

Ayiela, you need to disappear. How your mind leapt from mocking the dead to killing Afghans is anyone's guess. You ought to be ashamed for being a failtroll.

Talking shit about dead people is in poor taste, but there is no better opportunity to make the point that invention and innovation are not the fruits of individual labor, but of many people working together. Anyone who gives Steve Jobs credit for anything other than shrewd business sense seriously misunderstands technology.

Except for a few novel interface concepts (the scroll wheel on early-gen iPods and elements of the touch screen interface on later devices), Apple products are built using technology that is not at all new. They just figured out how to turn a profit, and they've got the supply chain to keep it (relatively) affordable.

It's not genius.

It's not technological wizardry.

Just shrewd business sense.

And there are many of us who choose not to celebrate that. Deal with it.

• №❶ Passioη

babbling jerks... @ Dando Z (and all other species of the same psyco config) - You should give credit only to the dying farmers who're responsible for food on your table but I bet you know none of them...

Apple / Foxconn employees don't get a one way ticket into the shit, and they're paid for their good deeds in the shadows (or at least they have gainful /  personal reasons to stay on)..

Read a bit about Steve Job's past as an adobted child, a common computer assembler in the 70s, and so on... This guy was a visionary and a smart one using people to actualize his vision, everyone does so - western capitalists, entrepreneurs, politicians, monarchs, religious leaders, etc.. then they take the glory. So fucken what?

It's already an unfair world, someone's gotta be the lo-oser, and someone's gotta be the hero. So give Caesar what belongs to Caesar and give Kyle, Dando, Scott, Astharoth what fucken belongs to them - Top Trolls of All time.. you should start a fat Hater Blog against anyone who's positively famous.. then when you eventually become famous (and die), we say shit about you too :P

However, after all said I'm still proud I've never been an Apple fan (for personal reasons)...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Passion, 'scuse me? You're like a child walking into the middle of a movie. Let me apprise you of the plot thus far:

I said, previously, I recognized Jobs as an entrepreneur, and for his early work in Apple. But as CEO and a mere representative of shareholder interests who stands around in black turtlenecks, his impact on the world is vastly inflated.

You can't quantify "vision". It's a mystical, immaterial elitist pretension.

I also gave credit to the designers and engineers whose ideas he stole and to workers from companies like Foxconn. That I don't know their names is a tragic consequence of Jobs' unwarranted celebrity. Oh, and I don't really care for names, because I recognize that innovation is not an individual process--it comes from many people working together.

• №❶ Passioη

@ Dando - Gathering from a few of your harsh lines against the dead...

"Steve Jobs was an asshole, There is a special place for him in hell, all Steve Jobs did to produce the device was sign a few checks and yell at people. The gap between financial success and social value is precisely what justifies us in mocking him. He made a lot of money from other people's ideas. That doesn't make him an innovator. Give credit where credit is due. He was rich. Good for him. He's still an asshole"

You may be right that in the later half of his life, he was more an business man than a technological inventor but it takes management skills to achieve collective innovation. That's why all apple products have the "Apple" brand written on them, rather than "Steve Jobs"... 

In Foxconn's case, steve does not make policies for them. They simply (and gladly) take the contract to produce stuff already designed by Apple... so if anything goes wrong in Foxconn, it starts and ends with the management of Foxconn. You'd rather be right to put up the Samsung Apple intellectual property theft wars as an example.... cases like these and google vs china never end...

So, what you should ask yourself is: If you were in Steve Jobs' shoes 30 years ago with a chance to go his tech biz path and become one of the most significant modern "IT innovator"s (with all the fame and money that came with it), wouldn't you take it? If NO, you're INSANE, if YES, then you're equally an "asshole"? :P

• Malin Aaker
    Malin Aaker wrote:

Proof? He said it himself. I guess the quote goes something like "We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Several other people upstairs noted that Jobs is widely known for stealing the ideas of his employees. Jobs himself was particularly fond of a quote he stole from Pablo Picasso: "Good artists copy, great artists steal."--not something I necessarily disagree with, but still enough reason to dismiss his personal contributions.

And, gee, I'm really wracking my brain here, really fucking wondering why someone wouldn't be able to win a lawsuit against the head of a massive computing empire over unpatented intellectual property. Why? Why oh why?

Of course his employees chose him as the world's greatest CEO. That's like having a coffee mug that says world's greatest dad.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

He said it back in 1996, @Miss Taken. It was one of his favorite catchphrases.

You're an incredibly dumb, boring cunt. Henceforth I am supplementing posts with cheap lulz.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

He was shameless about taking other people's ideas. You're really grasping at straws to defend his originality, when even he didn't care for the concept.

I agree that most art is in fact derivative, but if we're going to give credit where credit is due, the most anyone should be saying was that he was a business genius (and an asshole).

You mean that giving someone credit for something as mystical and unquantifiable (in real terms) as "creative vision" and "entrepreneurial innovation" isn't total BS?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ad hominems for the fail. Debate? Nah. Never was. I knew that some people with profound emotional attachments to their electronic devices would get butthurt if I said anything critical of their mythological figure of choice. Thanks for playing along, kiddo!

But who taught you that a business degree is anything other than the fast food version of a liberal arts degree?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Let's never discuss the value of an MBA, not here, not anywhere, because it's exclusively the province of the vampiric management class. That is, people who believe that they deserve to earn more than the people who they're ordering around, because of their creative vision.

+100 Internets to anyone who even begins to understand that one.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

“10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Hope Job, and Johnny Cash.Now we have no JOb, No hope and no Cash."

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I went to a Stanford MBA recruitment gig at Tsinghua 2 weeks ago.

Things kicked-off with a 10-minute cheesy, corporate video, where the words, ‘Change the World,’ were uttered no less than 17 times. That’s nearly twice a minute, impressive stuff indeed; various successful entrepreneurs who I’d never heard of (and Steve Jobs) told us how doing this particular MBA would actually help you change lives and change the world. 

We were then shown a further video, of a frail and turtle-necked Steve Jobs telling us that every day when he wakes up he thinks about death. The audience were majorly moved, and thoroughly perked-up at this. They cooed at Jobs’ profound revelations and seemed genuinely gob-smacked at his Carpe Diem shtick. It occurred to me that the audience didn’t know that Jobs has suffered from Cancer. I’m only guessing here, but if you have Cancer you probably think about death a lot more than your average Joe, perhaps, as in Job’s case, every day. It was tragic stuff, but not hugely impressive per se, and I couldn’t quite work out what it had to do with the MBA program (a course Jobs had obviously attended). The messages was something along the lines of, ‘Do this MBA today, because in the future you might be dying of Cancer and regret not chasing you dreams.’ I suppose that is one way of advertising an MBA course, but it struck me as strange and, frankly, a little scary. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.