Discussion » Gaming » Why I'm reining back my social media

• Checkered
    Checkered wrote:
    <p>http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/sep/21/social-media-content-sharing</p>
  • Father Of Boring

For the TL;DR crowd, the takeaway: "I've stopped sharing as much, full stop. I used to post things like "having a bad day" on Twitter. I don't any more."

I fully agree.  As spammy and annoying as I am on my networks, I try to share things that others will see as valuable, or ask questions, or just generally stuff that has a communal value.  

On the other side of it, I do post some things so there will be a written record for people who want to look back and get to know me.  There are pertinent details about me that I'd rather not explain agian and again, but which don't really have a place in a "personal introduction".  Nobody needs to know how pissed off I get at hotpot (I go to a restaurant to pay them to cook for me, not wait and cook shit myself!), but a well-placed status update now and again gets that across without being too pushy.  

• Checkered
    Checkered wrote:

I have alot samilar feelings with what the article says, nevertheless, social media still is some awesome invention.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I never jumped onboard with microblogging and I stopped blogging at regular intervals at the end of university. I prefer the low-brow collective populism of semi-anonymous comment trolling as an outlet of self-expression.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Ha-ha, lads, good crack.

Is it bad form to write status updates regarding one's onanistic habits? Gotta be a bit of 'communal value' there...

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

thanks for these social stuff, u can always investigate if your bf/husband cheating on u, the guy u have a crush on if an asshole~~~~~~~also thanks for these social stuff, lonely men n women can always hook up without being noticed~~~~~~~~~~~

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I just read the article at the top of this thread; the best part is watching the writer get whaled on by hundreds of people in the comments after. Bet he feels a bit silly for writing it now...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.