Discussion » Nonsense » Myths of the near past: Kuomintang

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:
    <p>What would China be like if the Kuomingtang prevailed, any thoughts?</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
  • Bryan (賴宏杰)

haha as for the question of the KMT had not lost the mainland?  I've wondered that myself and I think people probably look at me strangely for that. 

• Bryan (賴宏杰)

also, there would have been increased literacy just as in the mainland now, though there would still be Traditional Chinese and Wade-Giles romanizations.  I would have enjoyed that. 

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Strange,a lot of people have suggested  increased literacy and an improved education syestem to me.

It's all conjecture of course, but I imagine the relationships between Han Chinese and Minority Chinese might be greatly improved, and have an inkling there would have been no Cultural Revolution.

Still, it seems Jieshi was a pretty corrupt dude by the time he left...

• Bryan (賴宏杰)

well, it's not so strange if you realize that Taiwan and Hong Kong have long enjoyed some of the highest literacy rates in the world, yet they still use Traditional Chinese.  So the idea that simplified chinese led to increased literacy is somewhat misleading. 

Corruption may have been there, but let us consider modern Taiwan.  There seems to be a happy marriage of Traditional Chinese culture along with modern and western culture.  To me, Taiwan is what China should have become at the end of the dynastic era.  That is not to say anything bad about mainland people of course, merely to suggest that the CCP is more like a modern day dynasty which isn't really all that different.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.