Discussion » Beijing Life » Karaoke Bars in Beijing

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:
    <p>Are there any bars in Beijing that run a regular karaoke night? I don't mean KTV-style private-rooms but rather the places where you get to subject dozens of strangers to horrific wailing and expect them to love you for it.&nbsp;</p>
  • Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

It's about time, I'm sure this topic recurs every so often and it's surprising that none of the expat bars around Sanlitun have picked it up yet. Importing a karaoke system isn't that expensive, is it? 

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Is it really that hard to sell the idea to bar owners considering it's popularity in a lot of other countries and the vast expat clientele it would target? I'm not disputing it, it just seems pretty surprising that it would get stuck on the marketing front. 

• Rick (史大龙)

It's bad enough to hear the shitty singing coming out of the room next door or from down the hall, but to walk into an open bar and hear it would be unbearable. 

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Well, in my limited experience of karaoke nights in London, they are basically done in a normal bar on a Sunday-Thursday so as not to interrupt the bar's peak periods and are filled with people who are all there to embarass themselves in public with more than just alcohol abuse. And there is a certain camaraderie involved because you're all there to embarass yourself in public displays of self-delusion. 

I kind of figured being an expat bar in Sanlitun would help filter out the majority of the horrible Chinese participants in KTVs across Beijing...and, to be fair, a lot of the KTV clientele probably wouldn't want to do the stuff they do in KTV in public anyway! 

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

plenty of i suppose. sorry been away from bj for too long to know how it goes now but u can always check the websits. western style karaok.............well doesnt it need a new name?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.