Discussion » Current Events » The end of "the West" as we know it

• a
  • Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

That's weird, that same REM song popped into my head instantly too.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Fail troll is fail.

Buy U.S. Treasury bonds.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

We made this world rich, and we'll damn well make it poor again if we feel like it!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Every repost is a repost, but pretend-cracker 大鼻子 is choadally correctomundo. We should let those mysterious Orientals have their turn at accidentally the whole world. This White Man's Burden is too fucking hard to carry while doing bong-hits and sexing local girls. Time to let someone else carry it. It's time to pass the torch. No, really. Pass the torch. You're still holding it, dude, you are SO high.

BTW, buy U.S. Treasury bonds.

• Saint - Spartacus

i don't think they would like to pass the torch , instead , they'd rather Put out the fire

.BTW, i agree that some of them should be a little humble

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

And those arrogant foreign barbarians should learn how to be humble from sophisticated scholarly civil-servants who know how to bend over and take it in the ass from bureaucrats, and like it, as long as they're getting a red envelope afterward, because thousands of years of culture and history teaches us that Eastern imperialist hegemony is kinder and gentler than Western imperialist hegemony.

I think that torch just passed so far over your head that you're not going to get any say in whether or not it gets extinguished.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Am on board with Dabizi. U made good points there

• 随便叫兽
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha .. from downunder ... good to see everyone still alive too :)

Dabizi ... still a bit confused about your stand point and personal agenda on this ... I think I can just as easily write a dozen threads about Chinese behaving badly in foreign countries (mainly Australia) and it wont make the slightest of difference ... nice try though ...

• Father Of Boring

You went from nice a trollpost on how the entire West ought to be kowtow to the rest of the world, to 'some people could be nicer if they tried a bit more'.

Amen.  There's this little thing called "nuance", it makes so many arguments that much more interesting.  

I declare a thread reboot.

What frightens me about the financial crisis in the West, in terms of global zeitgeist, is that it's an opportunity for believers in totalitarian systems to buy credibility at the expense of the hard-fought notion that fairness, democracy, and liberalism are values worth striving for.  Regardless of your flavor of liberalism, be it Western or otherwise, the dominant political ideal (note I did not say "practice") of this era has been that people don't need and shouldn't have to put up with state abuses, and should structure their own government in such a way that they have the power to fight those abuses, independent of interference by other governments.  

No matter which culture or religion or ethnicity or tradition comes to dominate global politics and trade, I'd like to see that zeitgeist continue to inform modern political debate.  But the rising powers kinda suck at that.  Brazil would be a cool global overlord, but as a country they're too cool to have ambitions like that, I think.

• №❶ Passioη

I strongly agree with Father of Boring on all points upstairs

Additionally, Brazil has an outstanding underpopulation problem which hits our economy invisibly... Anyway, let's see what happens in the next 3 years. 

You all have enough time to learn portuguese :)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Hear, hear.

Just like the Han people throughout their thousands of years of history, I don't really give even one iota of a fuck about the ethnocultural identity of the people who govern the part of the Earth I'm presently standing on, but it helps if they're learning my language.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

in ur dreams op

• Simen Wangberg

BUY 'EM

what is this?

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

I wonder if anyone will try to use this political unrest to gain support for a real revolution. 

What is going on the the USA is not a revolution in the true sense of the word becuase they are merely asking for a change and not asking for the US gov. to step down. 

I do not think this unrest will end with any real changes to the world system.  They will probably just find some clever way of calming people down and prolonging the problems like they always do.  Surely someone is clever enough to figure a way out.

Big oil and big business will definitely take a hit, but they also have the means to monopolize renewables market without even missing a stride, so the same people will still have the real power.  Same people, same problems.......... 

• Aurélien
    Aurélien wrote:
    a summary:
    we colonized half of the world and took oil, minerals, food etc
    we decimated several indegenous cultures, eg indians, aboriginals, maori, and reorganized parts of the world to our benefit, eg africa, middle east and SE asia
    we then upgraded our living standard and outsourced labor to other countries
    we increased our living standard by getting everything produced cheaply elsewhere
    we created a virtual financial economy to make more profit
    we almost got the world bankrupt in 2008
    we waste more energy and resources per person than anybody else in the world
    our societies now survive by lending money from other countries such as China
    we still blame others that they are the reason for what now goes wrong in the west
    Aren't we fucking badass?
  • Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Thats pretty sick...........not proud of any of the above

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.