Discussion » Beijing Life » spitting: anywhere, anytime...unexpected

• Tempora
    Tempora wrote:
    <p>been for quite sometime in BJ and I cant still understand why the locals just spit anytime, anywhere and totally unexpected</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... one of the local old guys in the office made that noise a few times everyday, and I wonder where he spits ...

Anyway, I just saw this below on Sina Weibo, but too lazy to translate ... hopefully, the next gen (Chinese or otherwise), or the gen after that, will have a chance to grow up like this ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It's illegal to spit on the street in my hometown. That means that this isn't even a distinctly Chinese phenomenon, because it had to be annoying enough to motivate legislative action.

I get the urge to clear my throat and "hork a loogie" every time I walk out of a restaurant; I produce a lot of phlegm when I'm eating, even more if I'm eating dairy.

But because I remember that Beijingers made such a fuss about ending this practice in time for the Olympics, I do try to avoid it. But when I have to, I spit in places where people are less likely to see, step in, or sit in it--sewer drains, dirt, plants, or at the very least, a curb or gutter. It's a crude conscientiousness, and I make no apologies for it.

Spitting indoors on floors, or blowing the nose by plugging one nostril and exhaling sharply--these are the truly disgusting and unhygenic habits we should be complaining about.

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

"I'm loving local food not the sound of that local in the other table gargling and ready to release and find some pleasure in it after"

You don't want to visit places the "local food" is prepared...

• Elise Johannessen

@Pete, what u said is really what u want??

what if someone spit on u accidentlly when u pass by??

or even pee on u..

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

ha ,anywhere,anytime,unexcepted,sounds like :SUPRISE!!!

• Simen Wangberg

"I want the freedom to jack-off wherever I please."

"but jerking off? Anyone would be interested to make it a trend or a lifestyle maybe..."

There was a gay rights activist at a Hawaiian university who went into empty classrooms and jerked off onto the desks as a form of protest against gay discrimination.

Or something like that. My friend described him as the "Rosa Parks of jerking off," which isn't really accurate, but is still pretty funny. And gross.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It worked in a Chuck Palahniuk novel.

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

no no no !!!

they are not the locals 

80% people in beijing from countryside  

farmer do this kind bad behavior on theirs farm

then when they come to city they still keep the habit

but the chinese people who grow up in big city usually don`t do this.

---------------------------------------

now you can distinguish 

• Simen Wangberg

"80% people in beijing from countryside"

I genuinely believe that this is the root of most of the complaints that foreigners have about China - even though none of the bad habits that the 外地人 have (spitting, squatting, cutting in line) are intrinsically "Chinese".

Think about it this way, foreign whiners - is the dude bagging your groceries at Wal-Mart going to have the same kind of social propriety as the dude who grew up hanging out at yacht clubs and tennis courts?

Nooooo, he isn't. He's going to be rude, uncouth and coarse - just like the 外地人. Has nothing to do with culture and EVERYTHING to do with upbringing and environment.

• Rick (史大龙)

hate to admit it but I agree with 毛爷爷.... 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.