Discussion » Nonsense » what's going on in Iceland?

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

In these two years, the Icelandic citizen pressure has achieved not only overthrow their corrupted government, if not to draft a new constitution and put in jail the bankers responsible for the crisis in the country.

Now Iceland is carrying out a pioneering experiment in direct democracy :)

Mass media have not paid too much attention to this process during these years.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Nobody will know unless Bjork sings about it.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Go Iceland. Switzerland already have direct democracy too though, but it has some weird spin off effects. Mainly the weirdest, most polarised laws. Basically because the apathetic never vote about things they don't care about, leaving only those who foam at the mouth over something going to the ballot box.

Still, Switzerland is the one place I'd most like to emmigrate to.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

One way to deal with this 'foaming at the mouth' problem is Compulsory Voting. Dozens of countries worldwide employ this (enforcing it to various degrees), even parts of Switzerland.

Certain civil libertarains have issues with this, but it should be noted that nobody is forced to vote for any particular party. Abstention is still legitimate, but you do have to turn up at the polling booth.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Jorrit: Your Chinese friend says, "there will be tons of people that are too dumb to take care of themselves deciding what I would have to do."

I wonder how this compares with a system where, say, 'there are a few people who only take care of themselves deciding what I have to do.'

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

America has the opposite of compulsory voting. They don't even get the day off.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.