Discussion » Beijing Life » people don't know how to step aside on the street

• Tookie
    Tookie wrote:

I understand it's really crowded in big cities like Beijing, but when we ususally walk, when someone's coming, people should move aside/make a room for each other, and that's pretty normal in most of countries I've been.

However, too many local people here (esp. middle age) don't know how to step aside for each other. and it seems that bumping each other's shoulder is too common that they are all used to it , and even they are immune about it. so when there is even not crowded situation, people don't move aside.

my american professor who was in china for many years since he was young (20 years ago?) told me that when he came to china and experienced crowds of bicycles, local people told him if he wanna pass the road when the bunch of bikes are passing, just look straight and don't look at bikes, walk straight and the bikes would move aside for him.

I'm not really talking about bike but i think its similar here, when local people are walking, they just don't pay attention on the front, looking at somewhere else or they suddenly stop, and exc. and it can drive foreigners nuts.

• Linn Nesse
    Linn Nesse wrote:

hey, that's not bad. did your professor not tell you that he'd become dodgeful and artful when walking or cycling? what a shame!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... and he is everywhere ... 继续发功,好臭,好臭!

Actually, I sometimes do the same as what Scott does ... one thing that is perhaps less offensive, if I am walking behind a couple of "blockers", I would make bigger step, to try to step on the heels of one of them, so their shoes might come off and have to give way ...

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

it was not the big problem for me when i was in Beijing this situation,i am thinner enough to get the space passing by them,hee hee...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... TC ... yes ...

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

haha...you are right,recently i lost some weight again,trying to fly now,haha...

• Linn Nesse
    Linn Nesse wrote:

let's go over a little history of beijing city.it probably date back to 200 years ago, ppl living in old beijing city kept this custom that they wouldn't give a way for you until the one behind them makes initialtive to ask them with a warm word "please step aside for me?"- "借过儿了您哪" in chinese, which was considered not asking them, but greeting with each other.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... TC ... but it's a really bad idea if you wear heels, or Crocs, better if you are wearing sports shoes ...

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

usually i gave the words

"please excuse me" to the foreigners

“对不起,借过一下” to chinese

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... and TC ...if any one day, you should bump shoulder with a big Asian who talks to you in English or very bad Chinese, make sure you say hello ... ok? heehee ...

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

I find the British-style solution to such a problem very pragmatic:

Firstly approach them by a pure university accent of "Excuse Me" or "Sorry", nicely and firmly, English style;

Secondly, bounce into the crowd like a rugby player, English style;

Thirdly, give them a nasty "two fingers" and an evil laugh, English style, when you get passed (only after you walk away for quite a distance) 

• Linn Nesse
    Linn Nesse wrote:

over? curious to know how gentle they can be?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm a fast walker but I usually give everyone else the right of way when I'm moving, if only because I might otherwise do some damage as I clumsily stomp around in old army boots.

But once I'm on that subway car, I am a fucking wrench in the gears. I pick a place where I'm comfortable standing and I stay there. And if someone shoves (or pretends to fall into me to make room for themselves), I will lean back into them in such a way as to make the rest of their commute as awkward as possible.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... heehee ... and the next thing you would tell people is that you are 190 cm, 120 kg ...

• №❶ Passioη

This is not a big problem though... It's caused by absent mindedness. I realise the guys often make way because they look straight... but some lone walking girls look down so they never know what's ahead till they crash into it. I often have to make a big way before they come about 8 meters close...

This also happens when a group of loud talking chinese girls approach. They don't care if there's any space left in the alley, they'll never move... So I'm used to the bumping and I don't look back when I knock one or two of them down... I know they complain bitterly on the impact, then they laugh about it shortly after... I don't care, I don't look back...

I think every offender deserves to be treated this way... When it happens to them frequently, they'll start being conscious of other pedestrians and road users.

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

碧海青天夜夜心

maybe they just want you to look at them more from the back side,not the face...haha...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.