Discussion » Current Events » Audi driver refuses to pay parking fee, kills mete

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:
    <p>A 40-year-old man has been apprehended by police after crushing a meter maid to death with his car over a disputed parking fee. The scene unfolded this morning at 10:30am in Shanghai.</p> <p><a href="http://shanghai.xinmin.cn/tfbd/2011/09/15/12068797.html">Witnesses</a> (Chinese link) described seeing the man and the meter maid arguing by the side of the road. The man was parked in a fee zone and was attempting to drive away without paying when the meter maid stepped in front of the car in an attempt to force him to stop. The man continued forward regardless, knocking the attendant over and dragging her under the wheels of the car.</p> <p>Passersby quickly moved to rescue the meter maid by lifting the vehicle off of her, whereupon she was rushed to the hospital, but she died shortly after.</p> <p>After the incident, the Audi driver got out of the car looking extremely scared, took out his cellphone and walked to the street corner where he was eventually apprehended by police.</p> <p>In that area of Shanghai, the cost of parking is a paltry 15RMB per hour.</p> <p>(<a href="http://shanghaiist.com/2011/09/15/crazy_audi_driver_in_xuhui_refuses.php">Shanghaiist Story</a>)</p>
  • №❶ Passioη

...to please their bosses

• №❶ Passioη

only QQ cherry can be stopped in that way,, Everyone knows... even catwoman only stops German cars from above. The sad thing is: How much was she paid for that job anyway? how much will her family be paid as compensation? Perhaps a new parking law will be enacted as an aftermath of this?

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Sorry for the victim.

Despite the description of news report, it could be an accident (not saying that the suspect will not be convincted). Most drivers will understand, as the suspect drove off his car, if the meter maid suddenly popped out in front of his car, it is highly possible that the moving car would kill her by accident, which doesn't constitute a first class murder. Of course, details need to be proven through cross-examination. 

Although media has the freedom to report and comment on ongoing cases in China, some personally concern that publicity may disturb impartial judgement and thus distract the order of justice, as full legal grounds and evidences can only be assessed comprehensively at court.

To discuss cases like this purely from the aspect of criminal prosecution is not longer sufficient to assess the craziness of our society.

Imagine that they were both rational and responsible people, especially the driver,  there would be no loss of life, no media fuss, and what's more, no criminal punishment and the end of a normal and decent life. 

Have we ever encountered one of the following scenarios: 

1, Couple fighting like "swordman" in public;

2, Loud and peaking quarrels over tiny disputes like restaurant services;

3, Grumpy people calling on the phone over and over again to complain; 

4, Nervous colleagues who whinge and make the whole office unconformtable.

And there are just many more.... 

I have come to believe that our society is full of latent restless lunatics or anti-social psychopath. Sadly, I am not longer shocked by the intolerable cruelty of ordinary walks of life. A world with no compassion is hell. 

Let's just be cautious that if anyone runs into such K-RA-ZY persons, get away as far as you can and as fast as you can. 

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Anyone know how this story turned out?  Oh wait, I forgot that the media is banned from doing follow-up reporting in China, so negative stories just vanish into history and no one ever knows what ends up happening.  Most likely the guy used his guanxi and some well placed bribes, and he's back at work already, probably driving the same car.

• Father Of Boring

I've often been moved to key Audis and nice cars when they're parked all over the sidewalk, blocking pedestrian traffic. I urge you to do your part to remind these drivers that there are actually other people in the world, and vandalize their car by drawing a line across the door with a key when they park like a total unconsiderate prick.

Four this week.

• Father Of Boring

Where does your dad park?

• Rick (史大龙)
  • Rick (史大龙)

Scott, I agree with you, but my plastic credit card like house key won't scratch the paint very well.....

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:
  • Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

@scott: i'm far less than middle class.  stop joking with me !

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Joligne is in a class of her own.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.