Discussion » Beijing Life » On the recent violence

• Jose
    Jose wrote:
    <p>Maybe this is beating a dead horse, but this is still a very important issue because it concerns our safety. I am referring to the recent violence that has come to characterize the city's most popular entertainment and drinking area. So many people have talked about being harassed, threatened, and even assaulted by Chinese in and around the Sanlitun area. It's easy to say that it's just a bunch of random thugs who are "jealous" or otherwise displeased with foreigners, but it is more than just random thugs and the causes are not necessarily all about some sort of Asian inferiority complex.&nbsp;</p> <p>Some friends and I were recently given a thorough beating by the bouncers of one of the clubs along the west side of the worker's stadium. None of us like to fight. It was caused by a scuffle inside the club that was initiated by a Chinese guy for no apparent reason. Sure, the bouncers are not going to sit down and politely ask everyone to calm down, but using excessive force to injure people who aren't really fighting back because they know they are going to lose shows that the aggression goes past a few drunk dudes in the ass crack of sanlitun. These bouncers were letting off steam, and I'm sure it wasn't because they were getting picked on or disapproved of interracial relationships (since none were involved).</p> <p>Fast forward a few weeks. Just this past weekend, a good friend and a peaceful man (of Asian descent) was beaten quite badly in the sanlitun area (in a very public place) by two white men for no good reason. Mix two angry white men, a sense of immunity, a belief in some unjust racial imbalance, and a whole lot of machismo, and you get one terribly senseless act of violence. It's those last two ingredients that are common to all of these incidents and what is making the city's entertainment district and increasingly undesirable place to visit.&nbsp;</p> <p>I expect that many of you who read this will want to argue the validity and reasoning for what I've described. This is a fake profile, so say what you want. Some will ridicule, others will simply antagonize for the sake of antagonizing, and that is what is causing these problems.&nbsp;</p>
  • Saint - Spartacus

the chinese history x is women are beated by local men and suffur such huge violence ... ...   two optional drama in real  1 : the woman go to fight / kill her husband . 2 : the woman keep silent and the child revenge in the future 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... actually, I think AX is referring to the Chinese history in the late 1800 and early 1900, during the last few decades of Qing Dynasty ...

• Sasha 莎莎 Wang

This is stupid, shit like this happens everywhere, not just in China. I've lived in Beijing for a long-ass time, and to be honest, if you're going party in the shithole that is Sanlitun, what you've described isn't something that should suprise you.

Go somewhere else if you can't handle the regular shit that goes down every single night in Sanlitun.

Actually no, grow some balls.

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

So what do you theorise Jose?

Is the spectacle not merely thousands of litres of questionable booze, confined in a relatively small space, lashings of sexual tension, and a particular, indeed peculiar, socio-cultural mix of people?

All this is contributes to the street theatricality of Sanlitun, and is why I love the place. Not that I like getting beaten-up, of course (not for free anyway)..

• Reply from 随便叫兽 is flagged as not relevant.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

it did happend sometimes in sanlitun but OP make it sounds like more violence and more serious of an foreigner's security issue......in china........such things is not a big deal like you worry about.........   

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Scott, you are taking the piss right?

You think the moronic drunken violence that manifests itself as a fistfight is an excellent argument for the legalisation of firearms?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Not firearms. Swords. Bring back swords. Any intimidation factor inherent to packing heat is dwarfed by the imposing presence of a few pounds of cold steel. I know I'm only saying this because I play too many vidyagaems, but f'real yo: It'd be far safer. No stray bullets. No innocent bystanders caught in the crossfire.

Maybe even duels with witty reparte.

Swords.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahahaha ... similar to what Carlos said, to allow (legal) firearms around town, it's not going to fix this, but onlu make it worse ... imagine these people might be carrying guns around SLT, and some of you wont even be sitting at your computer now ...

If, it is indeed a certain group (or groups) of people always causing trouble, it is more about getting together, get some evidence, and perhaps lock them up or something ...

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Nah man, that's way too dangerous; disputes should be settled over fearsome games of Conkers.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Civil matters should be settled by playing King of Fighters '98, emulated, on a single computer keyboard. This will preserve the home turf advantage for the locals.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... heehee ... I am guilty ... of violently tickling my wife, both at home and outside ... a few people of this site can be witness ...

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

SHIT!

• J.Kronic
    J.Kronic wrote:

violence is everywhere in this world... not only in the streets or at home.

• 外交猫
    外交猫 wrote:

Lets not pretend that all cities and social scenes experience the kind of beat-down violence seen every weekend in SLT.  I saw way more people get punched in the face in 2 years in Beijing than I saw in 7 years in New York.  Shit is not the same.

Some of it does have to do with Scott's satirical point about guns -- the right wing nutjobs in the US aren't completely wrong about that.  Motherfuckers have guns here, and if you and your boys try to jump somebody for some stupid ass reason, you might get your ass shot.  That has an impact, and less shit gets started.  10 dudes can't just assume they'll win in a fight against 2 dudes.  Because those 2 dudes might have a coupld Glock 9's and plenty of bullets hidden in their jackets.

But like people mentioned, it's not worth the trade off.  In the US, people get shot.  In China, only the government shoots people.  So fewer fights in US nightlife, but more serious repercussions when fights break out.  I'd rather the Chinese way. 

Plus, it does add a certain spice to your night, right?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I need my fix of 鸡尾包 (more or less like a cream bun, but the filling is coconut), and 皇后餐厅 at SLT is the only place in Beijing that I can buy them ... yes, I am an idiot of sweetness :)

• J.Kronic
    J.Kronic wrote:

Come on, Beijing is simply the safest place on earth that I know !

I can't feel any threaten risk when I'm hanging out in these streets alone...

But I can't say the same when I'm hanging out by myself or even whith a bucnh of friends in the streets of Paris suburb for example...

stop demonizing Sanlitun...

• Elias Edvardsen

I wouldn't fight locals.  It's always 20 on 1.   I've been in a few scuffles and seen many many more where people have no problem beating you half dead for the most minor stupid reasons ever.  Just don't fight, it's almost never worth it. 

• Da Fan
    Da Fan wrote:

What can you expect from alcohol? easy sex, or dumb fight, that's all. You cannot expect drunk dudes to control themselves from raising their fists or dicks (ofcoz, if these dudes are fxxking drunk, they r able to do neither~ ). It's cops' role to keep an eye on them. In places cops never care such trivals, take the risk to have fun, or avoid risk staying at home. 

I have to say, amendment No.2 helps alot in reducing fist fighting, but i'd rather fist fighting with 10 guys and being beat ugly, instead of having the muzzle on my face.

Firearms should be completely banned, 虽然, “我就是喜欢打枪” -- "Yuri Orlov"

• Father Of Boring

Crossing my fingers here, but, I've been a loyal bargoer at the worst Sanlitun has to offer for years now, and never been in a fight.  Neve really even a shouting match.  I've pulled some fights apart and picked up people off the sidewalk, but when you're out, keep your head down.  No drunk fight is a fight worth having.  

But there IS a certain subset of the 富二代 and Triad wannabes who frequent that area, and they are some angry, angry people.  Respect and concilliatory attitude goes a long way toward placating them.  I've met them and drunk with them, and they're some of the finest specimens of idiocy any mix of the human genome has produced.  You can spot them a mile away by their bored, dolled up high school girlfriends, bad tattoos, and comments on the foreigners who walk by.  But basically, if you keep your head screwed on, even if one or two try to get fighty, their friends usually pull them off.  

Bouncers, on the other hand, are dangerous.  Those are the guys you really have to worry about, because especially around Gongti, they're tight bros who get shit wages, spend all their time together, sleep in company dormitories, and often work with organized criminals.  Piss one off, and you're asking for trouble from all of them.  

I've never really spent too much time investigating this, but get to know the cigarette ladies, especially the one at the intersection behind 3.3 leading back to The Tree.  She's been there for years, and she likes me for some reason, and over the years has told me not to point at, laugh at, or pester certain individuals (when I get trashed, I have a talent for saying inappropriate things to strangers).  They know who will kick your ass and how quickly.  

Oh, and the beggars stash their stolen goods in plastic trash bags in front of Jingkelong after it closes, or at least they did two years ago.  I don't know about now.  It would be interesting to find out where they take all that stuff, exactly.  Has anyone ever followed the beggars home in the morning?  Now that I'm thinking about it, I might be up for some detective work if anyone else is interested in coming with...

• Simen Wangberg

Aww. The lady behind 3.3 is sweet. I don't frequent her place of business that often, but sometimes you just wanna street beer. Plenty of places to get them, but she's always been nice.

A lot of the vendors down there seem to have a chip on their shoulder - not that I blame them, since they're dealing with drunk assholes pretty much every night of the week - but sometimes it puts me off when they try to upcharge me on cigarettes and shit.

Also, I am interested in early-morning guerrilla surveillance in regards to the beggars in front of Jingkelong.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.