Discussion » Current Events » Meeting the challenges of China’s growing ci

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:
    <p><span>China&rsquo;s dramatic economic growth</span> is intensifying the challenges of urban policy. Mass migration to the cities is leading to urban sprawl, the loss of arable land, and spiraling demand for energy and natural resources, as well as contributing to the challenge of providing social services. It&rsquo;s time for policy makers to rethink their approach to these problems and to the direction that urbanization has taken so far.</p> <p>About 600 million Chinese now live in cities, yet that represents only 45 percent of the population, compared with more than 80 percent in the United States, so China&rsquo;s cities are likely to grow considerably. New research by the McKinsey Global Institute projects that by 2025 China&rsquo;s cities will add 325 million more people, including about 230 million migrants. Following the current trend, the country&rsquo;s urban population will reach 926 million by 2025 and top 1 billion by 2030 (The full report, <em>Preparing for China&rsquo;s urban billion</em>, is available <a href="http://www.mckinsey.com/mgi/publications/china_urban_summary_of_findings.asp">online</a>).</p> <p>Rapid urbanization will contribute to GDP growth but also carries serious challenges. By our estimates, demand for energy in urban areas will more than double, and demand for water will increase by 70 to 100 percent. Providing health care and education...</p>
  • 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Pete, Nobody likes you and your mother dresses you funny.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Pete, What's true? I'm afraid that I'm not able to keep up with your lightning-fast deductions about Astaroth's abnormality, as I seem to have lapsed on my medication today.

@OP, "About 600 million Chinese now live in cities, yet that represents only 45 percent of the population, compared with more than 80 percent in the United States"

You should realize that Chinese and American definitions of "urban" are vastly different. The US Bureau of Census includes urbanized areas (50,000+ people) and urban clusters (2,500-49,999 people) in that 80 percent, but I've met people in China who say they come from villages of over a million people.

Just like GDP is a shitty indicator of wealth, population statistics are piss-poor indicators of development and sustainability.

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

People can make a life out of any city, depends on how we decide to live. 

• Joligne
    Joligne wrote:

@ Dando,  can u show the reference of your data which are the numbers you used in what u've said please !~ thanks

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.