Discussion » Nonsense » Civil Society!, " Who said that?"

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:
    <p>Look at the global prison statistics!!!!&nbsp; The United States has more people locked up in prison than any other country!&nbsp; Free country?&nbsp; The reason I looked this up is because some person actually told me its impossible that the USA has more people in prison than China.&nbsp; You would think so right?</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2494/does-the-united-states-lead-the-world-in-prison-population</p> <p><cite>www.apcca.org/<strong>stats</strong>/4th%20Edition%20(2003).pdf</cite></p>
  • №❶ Passioη

I heard Arnold Schwarzenegger's biggest project as governor of Callifornia was "Building State Prisons"... That's why no money was left to spend on quenching or preventing bush fires (Citation needed).

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

The US has a prison population bigger than that of some small nations.

• Rick (史大龙)

The US does have more locked up in prison then China, because the US have a legal system that is bogged down with appeals and China will just take the guilty out and kill them, which is a better system I ask? My answer is China's. 

@ Scott, Obama promised to close Gitmo within the first year, here we are in his 3rd year and it's still open. They will not close that anytime in the near future. Campaign speeches and reality are two different things....

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It doesn't astonish me at all.  The US is the most violent, notorious and corrupted nation in the human history. Common citizen get locked up and tax payers provide them food and board.

The rich and highly corrupted can still be moving around to proclaim to the world about a free society. Anyone seems to have forgotten that a small group of  most influencial white rich are the one who have caused financial tsunami that have brought pains and death to the working family over the world? The same rich guys were bailed out and rewarded with billions of $ and still moving freely and that free and civil society.

High Priest

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

A tremendous number of people incarcerated in the American correctional system are there for non-violent drug offenses. Considering violent American prison culture, those people will leave prison more dangerous than they were when they entered.

If anyone is wondering how America can afford to keep so many of its people in prison, I should point out that in America, corrections is a multi-billion dollar business, just like war. While a majority of prisons are state institutions, correctional facilities rely on private corporations for nearly everything from food to toiletries, and are in fact subsidized by the government to produce extremely cheap products at dramatically inflated prices.

Like defense spending, these are the LAST types of spending cuts to be considered when austerity measures are being discussed.

Moreover, prisons are a source of cheap labor.

@Scott, I'm of the opinion that if there isn't enough evidence to prosecute them, they ought to be released, no matter how dangerous they want us to believe they are. Due process, fair trial, etc.

Obama disappoints me because he's too reasonable to act like the "muslim terrorist/atheist communist" the right-wingers think he is.

@Rick,

"The US does have more locked up in prison then China, because the US have a legal system that is bogged down with appeals and China will just take the guilty out and kill them, which is a better system I ask? My answer is China's. "

You do realize that the entire purpose of the lengthy appeals process is to verify that a person is indeed guilty, right?

I'll never understand why American conservatives with so little faith in the federal government contrarily have so much faith in the criminal justice system to determine guilt the first time around.

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Well they sure need to stop locking people up for Marijuana and using drugs and instead help the people who need help get rehabilitated.  True rehabilitation can be achieved through several means.

I recently saw a special on a prison in the phillipenes that used to be one of the most violent prisons in the world. Then a new warden took over and made the prison into a sort of village with all the same amenities as civil society.  Its like he made prison into a second chance for these guys to prove themselves.  They have stores, barber shops, massage parlors, gyms, sports teams, libraries, workshops, clothing manufacturing, trades, etc..... So when these guys get out of prison they are already adjusted to living a regular lifestyle, furthermore they make it easy to stay clean and live a regular healthy lifestyle. 

American prison makes it hard because they lock guys up like animals.  Furthermore Americans are overly aggressive to begin with because of our militarized society and highly competitive attitudes.  In Max security prison in America you must defend yourself if threatened or be fucked every day by some gangs or bosses.  Thats not rehabilitation, for actually it can cause a person to spiral further out of control.  Once one enters teh system it is very difficult to get out. 

That actually works to the advantage for several manufacturers who benefit from America's prison industiral complex.  Nike, Adidas, lazy boy, rebok, and many more, who secure contracts to emply prison labor at a rate of roughly 6 cents an hour to manufacture goods.  These manufacturers also pay the prisons large kickbacks.  Interesting right?  MODERN AMERICAN SLAVE LABOR!  Why else would guys up for parol get denied?  What incentive is there to let people out of prison? 

Also the disproportionate lockup of people of color is a problem in America.  Blacks and other people of color are imprisioned at higher rates than whites in the USA, however their population is much smaller than that of whites.  Why do we choose to imprision our brothers rather than being able to spend less money while combating inequality within the system in order to rahabilitate the USA's prison, crime, and racist system? 

It really is too bad we lock so many up instead of working to make America live up to its claim to fame.....

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

Well they sure need to stop locking people up for Marijuana and using drugs and instead help the people who need help get rehabilitated.  True rehabilitation can be achieved through several means.

I recently saw a special on a prison in the phillipenes that used to be one of the most violent prisons in the world. Then a new warden took over and made the prison into a sort of village with all the same amenities as civil society.  Its like he made prison into a second chance for these guys to prove themselves.  They have stores, barber shops, massage parlors, gyms, sports teams, libraries, workshops, clothing manufacturing, trades, etc..... So when these guys get out of prison they are already adjusted to living a regular lifestyle, furthermore they make it easy to stay clean and live a regular healthy lifestyle. 

American prison makes it hard because they lock guys up like animals.  Furthermore Americans are overly aggressive to begin with because of our militarized society and highly competitive attitudes.  In Max security prison in America you must defend yourself if threatened or be fucked every day by some gangs or bosses.  Thats not rehabilitation, for actually it can cause a person to spiral further out of control.  Once one enters teh system it is very difficult to get out. 

That actually works to the advantage for several manufacturers who benefit from America's prison industiral complex.  Nike, Adidas, lazy boy, rebok, and many more, who secure contracts to emply prison labor at a rate of roughly 6 cents an hour to manufacture goods.  These manufacturers also pay the prisons large kickbacks.  Interesting right?  MODERN AMERICAN SLAVE LABOR!  Why else would guys up for parol get denied?  What incentive is there to let people out of prison? 

Also the disproportionate lockup of people of color is a problem in America.  Blacks and other people of color are imprisioned at higher rates than whites in the USA, however their population is much smaller than that of whites.  Why do we choose to imprision our brothers rather than being able to spend less money while combating inequality within the system in order to rahabilitate the USA's prison, crime, and racist system? 

It really is too bad we lock so many up instead of working to make America live up to its claim to fame.....

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.