Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » Guestbook removal

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

On WLIB we have many ways to communicate - guestbook, private messages and now also wall (recent activity). When we created the wall, we realized that the guestbook is no longer needed. One private and one public communication channel is what's needed.

So we decided to remove the guestbook from the profile navigation, but you can still access it via this link, and if you have any unread guestbook messages, you'll be able to access them by clicking Notification > Guestbook from the top menu

http://www.weliveinbeijing.com/guestbook/Guestbook3.rails

If anyone have any concerns about this, let's hear it here. Hopefully most of you share the opinion for the removal.

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

ahhhh :(

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I didn't even notice it's gone. I don't think it'll be missed.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Alright, just so everyone understand how it works (in case you didn't already know):

Here's a screenshot of 梦中的婚礼's wall:

A: When visiting someone elses profile, the status updater say "Post a message to [UserName]". It basically works as a "post guestbook", except it's not hidden within a tab, but on the profile page itself.

B: When clicking Post, the "Recent Activity" refreshes, and the message you wrote to the profile you visit appears on top.

So you will still have a public communication channel.

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

The only disadvantage now is that these entries disappear relatively fast. What you maybe could add is a way to sort the different kinds of things on the wall. Lets say: Photo comments, forum comments. postings on the wall....

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Olaf Van Der Golaf:
    That's a good idea, we'll take that into consideration. At least it's possible to click "show more" for now.

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

i don't actually need guestbook,don't really want anyone could see my private talk,now my friends can message me,it's better... :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahaha ... this time I did think about it ... and one thing I dont like about the "wall" is that there is no notification ... any thought how to work around this? The "wall" is easy to use, but at least I would get notified when someone wrote in the GB ...

... also, even there is now a "load more", and while it is still working, I do prefer using "view conversation" to list the last 20 or so exchanges with one person, whereas, similar feature is unlikely to be found with "load more" ...

• Joakim Lund Rangel

yepp, thought about it. Haven`t come up with any conclusive ideas yet. 

but the view conversations within the wall triggered a spark to a new idea. *Back to coding*
    :-)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) .. then until there is notification and a "view conversation" on the wall, LEAVE the guestbook alone ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... correction ... give me back my guestbook, until you have "view conversation" ... preferably, fully tested!!

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

@ Ole-Marius

Thanks. If you would add this item on the wall you could also inclued that it shows the status updates of my friends on the wall.

Or on this activity page you could programm maybe a filter which only shows the status updates from my friends and not from everyone. Even its fun to see what everyone does (and a great time to kill time in the office when you got nothing to do) but I am still lighly more interested in the activities of my friends.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

@Olavio:

Yea you basically mean better control over what's shown in the feed placed in your profile right? That is planned features but was too much to start with

• Joakim Lund Rangel

Olavio: on the activity page you can click on the link "My friends" (On the left top side) to filter the feed to show only your friends activities.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... two reasons not to take out Guestbook ...

1. at the moment, is there any security or privacy on "wall"?

If my guess is correct, there is not ... so if person A was previously blocked by person B, then he/she cannot view the profile or write in guestbook of person B, but can still comment on anything appearing in the bubble related to person B ... that is not good, right?

2. this next one is perhaps a 50-50 ... here's the scenario ...

Person A replies person B via comment, and then immediately delete this wall entry without notifying person B, who then replies as normal, this reply would have gone nowhere ... with guestbook, this will never happen ...

Comment?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Sean ... bear man? me? hahaha ... this is perhaps the best compliment I have ever received since coming "here" ... even if you were trying to be sarcastic ... but no, they dont want me as CEO, so I am just doing voluntary work, hence the last name here is 义工  ;)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... then I owe you a beer ... nice "meeting" you here too :)

oh ... the reason I cannot be CEO, is probably because I dont drink, but I scream a lot when I find a bug, just someone find gold :)

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DD:
    I'm getting close to clearing off my to-do list covering a lot of bugfixes that will be deployed tomorrow. Feel free to PM me with frontend related bugs or issues you may be aware of, except the ones you find in the user/group galleries as I'm gonna rewrite a lot there that will fix the current issues.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahaha ... did you just try to make me feel like a real CEO, without offering me a job? or perhaps some master (or small time) criminal drug traders out there have put a contract on the real WLIB CEO, so this is a smoke screen to confuse them? damn ...

Kidding ... anyway, it is good to know ... but due to previous and recent incidents, could you just be a bit careful on not killing any existing "features", and make sure that it will work on native IE8, but not IE9 running in IE8 ..

Rule of thumb: Microsoft used to, and still, only support current version and minus two, you guys might want to think about that ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... by the way, while you are at it, bring back Guestbook on the top ...

The stuff you said above means that we can view our own guestbook, and also reply, but because you have taken it out from the screen, we cannot write in guestbook of others who had never written on our own ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... probably no one home?

Anyway, before privacy can work on wall (which is a huge question mark), please bring back guestbook ... some dick just wrote into a conversation which he could not have, if we have got guestbook working ...

Enjoy the party :)

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Guestbook is deprecated, and will not be put back. Feel free to suggest improvements on other communication related functionality/modules such as private message and the "wall".

I'm continuing fixing bugs, even down to IE6 which only 8% of WLIB's users are using now (or actually even fewer of the active users, as the bounce rate on IE6 users are higher than others by obvious reasons)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... when will privacy (and selective blocking) be put on "wall"? when will "wall" have some kind of notification?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Ole ... again, I urge you NOT to take out GB just yet ...

Although GB does not have the same "social" effect as "wall" since it only involves two persons, it does allow or support "privacy", and also notification, none of which is happening with "wall" ...

Also, unlike FB, that "wall" is shared between friends (and friend of friends), the "wall" here is 100% open and has the potential to get very "ugly" (refer to last night's cat fight between Alexandra and the others with long names) ...

Not from an IT perspective, but common sense in marketing of a site, though "wall" is a more "social" means for people to get to know each other, like how they interact in public, e.g. a bar, the (extreme) reverse can also be true ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... yeah, I thought about that ... my preference for GB is its openness ... yeah, I heard you, "wall" is even more open ... and the cat fight saga continues ...go Alexandra ... go Telephone ... go whoever ...

(sometimes) When person A asked me about person B, whom I happened to have chatted a little with via GB (nothing private or top secret of course, just basic stuff, no one is that silly), then after a briefing, I dont have to go into too much details, but just refer person A to read it from GB ...

Of course, if there is anything private in GB, like phone numbers or MSN, or relationship issue etc. I would often remove them ...

Another reason I like GB more than PM, so that any interested parties can openly see what I said ... I consider PM is more for secret matters :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... I consider myself "king of sensitivity" and my "justification" is that if I am not, I would otherwise not have detected (or guessed) that people might be bothered or troubled by their issues, and hence prevented me from helping (or at least listening) ...

However, due to recent incidents on this forum, and on this site, it would seem that a lot of people is trying to steal my "crown" ... *wink wink chukkle* ...

As far as the cat fight is concerned, I am just selling tickets ...

[supp] one more reason against "wall" ... the "wrapping" is still unfnished on "bubble", e.g. if certain people use a particular font or color in the forum for example, it is likely to spread to all the "bubbles" underneath ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... one other (stupid) reason to keep GB ...

This site, for whatever reason there might be, allows people to change “screen name" as often as desired, and it can get very difficult to keep up ...

The "wall" is new, and if anyone has tried it, it is actually exhaustive to repeatedly click "load more" to find out what was said before, if any ... and unless I have mistaken, I cannot "search" it for the moment ...

On the other hand, as most people knows, I keep previous conversations in GB, and for someone with a painfully bad memory, the "search" function in GB (when it works) is the best way for me to find out the previous conversation ...

OK ... "search" and "conversation" ... that was one and a half reason, if not two ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... creepy me here ...

1. when will notification be available for "wall"? also, what's the proposal for "wall" that's been pushed out of the screen?

2. when will "privacy" be available for "wall"?

3. can we also get "carriage return" into "wall" too? GB used to have it ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... creepy me here, always ... anyway ...

Referring to the point of someone might have removed the "wall" (or conversation) on his/her side, so it would be a total waste of time for the other party (or parties) to address anything to this person ...

Q: Is it possible to add something like "XXX has exited from this conversation" like the way it works in MSN?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I know, I know, I actually dont have a problem when people "exited" from the conversation, but it would be nice to have a notification, then I know I was not talking to a "wall" ... got it? talking to a wall? hahaha ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

2011-09-26 ... noticed another "feature" on the wall ...

Q: what's wrong with this image? (from the bubble page a few min ago) ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.