Discussion » Current Events » QQ calls new Apple CEO "sufferer of homosexuality"

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:

Tencent, the Chinese Internet giant that is known for its instant messaging software QQ, has apologised for describing Apple's new CEO Tim Cook as a "sufferer of homosexuality" ("同性恋患者") in a recent article on its content portal.

The use of the term, once widespread but abolished since homosexuality was struck off the official list of psychological disorders in 2001, sparked anger among China's gay and lesbian community.

Leading activists have lambasted the company, saying this was not the first instance Tencent has been accused of spreading homophobia. Just recently, in the wake of the Lü Liping saga, Tencent published an article that appeared to justify the award-winning actress's homophobic sentiments. Netizens subsequently discovered that the writer of the article was himself a Christian fundamentalist and criticised the company for giving the writer a platform to air his religiously-informed homophobia.

Steve Jobs and Tim Cook

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"I'm sorry I got caught being a bigot."

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

No need to make a fuss about it.

China is a country of taoism, marxism, racism, sexism,nihilism, cannibalism, local protectionism and homosexual-phobia-ism, get used to it. 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Ah. This isn't homophobia. This is heteronormativity with Chinese characteristics.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Jorrit wrote: Why even bother to apologize?

... it's common in China ... but there is also a large population that could not give a damn about apology too ..

Interestingly, Chinese literature often endorsed or hinted about homosexual behaviour (need to dig the source, but I am fairly sure there are) ... so, what's the fuzz again?

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Scott, I am able to elucidate but would rather not. 

Freedom is slavery, ignorance is bliss. :)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.