Discussion » Feedback & Suggestions » WLIB Facelift

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:
    <p>We've done a facelift on WLIB's header and footer, as well as reorganizing the navigation.</p> <p>Let us know what you think :-) <br /><br /></p>
  • kö
    wrote:

i like this one ...looking fashion more then old one   eveythings more easy find.... good work  twins..lol

• kö
    wrote:

Custom Background  humm。。。。good suggest and i can put what i like ...lol

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

Custom backgrounds is a good idea. I actually suggested it a bit earlier today to the other guys at the office here... :-)

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

yes, this one is nicer. But I suggest you try to have not so many changes anymore. Most internet user prefer things to be stable...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I thought the "welcome page" screen dump is only before login? never mind ... I use a DELL and a 10-inch no-brand, and the new header is taking up too much space on the screen ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

It looks okay comparing to the previous one, it's much more attractive.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

It's looking better rather than worse for once. I'd agree with people that it's a bit too large, but it's got a lot of punch

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

Yes , better than before and when i opened it ,wowo big WLINBJ ,hehe as people said ,should change it a little bit ,could make it  more visual balance.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Last time we changed, we got a lot of negative complaints so we went back to the drawing board and ended up with this - which we got a lot of good feedback on from people we showed it to.But yes, I know and agree that too many changes are not optimal for users.

The reason that the header is bigger now, is simple - we need space for a banner in the header. Some people might dislike that, but that's how people earn money on the web. That or taking paid for the service, which we don't want to do.

When it comes to custom backgrouns, we still have that under Your Name > Settings > Themes.

And we wont optimize the site for 10 inch screens, sorry. Maybe we'll optimize it for tables/iPad format later in the future =)

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

i have to say overall it feels fresh,exciting,good job.

but i feel there's a roof oppressing me,maybe the area up ther is too big also isn't weliveinbeijing.com too big 2?  and why not the menu list on the left and wlib on the right.ha i do complain!maybe i'm also used to old one on terms of using the site.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Here you can see the plan for the header. We'd like to put a banner space here.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Oh, and yes we will move the "Username - Notifications" navigations more to the right. We came to the same conclusion 02:00 last night, but I postponed it til today.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Scott: Tested it out - not bad :-) But the banner needs to be activated first. I'll bring it up with the other guys.

• Colin Friedman

Far better than the previous version.  Easier to navigate. I assume that the huge header is so that you can iclude paid advertisiements / top banners. Monetize okay but if too big will distract and make it once again user unfriendly. 

• Saint - Spartacus

this version is better

• Saint - Spartacus

this version is better

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I like change.

That said, what is this "WLIB 2.0" shit? That implies that there was a WLIB 1.0 before it, which would mean you sods had a finished product and not a public beta test.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Pete McBrosten: heard about Foursquare? Check In (Places) are relatively new though, so we're still working on making it more user friendly as well as making it more clear what it is.

Dando Z: Nobody ever said 2.0 :-) And we've been testing this internally for about a week. We always push new features out on WLIB before anywhere else (e.g. WeLiveInDalian).

• Joakim Lund Rangel

" I don't understand the check in feature"

Pete Mcbrostein: In your profile on the right col, click on the save your user position option. Once that is done I think you will get what that is :)

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Godfather: People and Places is what we've decided to focus on. I think forum is ok to have to the far right.

No, that's just a general user search, but we named it "Find friends" as it's more suggestive than "Find people"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"http://www.weliveinbeijing.com/activity/bubbles.rails?cni=WLIB%20v2.0"

So it's just a term you guys are tossing around the office? :D

BTW, did you guys axe the magazine frontpage? I'd be upset that the secret press release I wrote last weekend for Erik won't be used, but it's not like I worked too hard on it.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Right on. You guys looking for a new content editor yet? I'll could do a half-assed job of it and you'd only have to pay me with drink coupons.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

Nice.........

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Godfather: These are random faces of Beijing :-) Feel free to suggest other people that we may feature. Preferably people that will give a positive first impression (e.g. triggering curiousity or an "A-ha!" experience) on first-time visitors, as the main goal with this page is to get new people to sign up.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... no no no ... recalling the major "booboo" in the other thread yesterday, where Scott was accused of picking up (and fighting with) girls on this site, but turned out to be all but a beautiful mistake, I am sure GF would not want to be accused of the same "crime" ... heehee ... just me!!

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

WLIB is not a ART design website

you need think more about UE things

like leave the biggest space to users i think

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... nah ... I know it was not applicable to this thread itself, but I read what Ole said to Godfather, then I remember what High said to you, and thought it might be quite funny to bring it up ... wasn't it?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... back to the drawing board :)

... got a valid question ... what happened to my groups?

• Joakim Lund Rangel

Did something happen with your groups?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I just noticed that they are not on my profile? I have probably gone blind ... heehee ... care to point that out?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... never mind ... I found it ... thanks ...

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

SCOTT 

not because i an target user

my company do website too

we ever did some very big projrct

recently 2 of our biggest project will publish on SEPT.

try to think about BADOO FACEBOOK 

THE VERY BIG HEAD , USUALLY USELESS FOR NORMAL USER 

IF YOU CHANGE YOUR RESOLUTION TO 1280*800

ALMOST 1/3 SCREEN ARE THE HEAD AND EMPTY SPACE

MORE ADVICES? LET TALK ON FEEL GOOD PARTY

--------------------------

another very important thing is WHAT WLIB wanna to be?

you need design your UI UE follow your goal.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

@Kevin Chen: I agree that UX (User eXperience) is important, but it's not everything when running a business. Top banners are the highest priced, and most websites has one (often bigger than ours).

Of course, from a user perspective it's best not to have ANY ads. But there's always the business on the other side of the table that has to make money in order to even have a website where UX can exist.

• Micky
    Micky wrote:

Plz return the cartoon page..

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

Micky: The government blocked their site before so we couldnt pull out the cartoon strips from their feed, but I just checked again now and now they're unblocked! Gonna add the strips again shortly! ;-)

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

my advice change the logo to half height also the banner.

banner ads more value base on user click and need it.

keep your chicken strong you can get more eggs.

for WLIB , i think more content ADS better.

because WLIB is not a high flow website compare to other chinese website.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... before I leave office ...

I assume that the ugly bright digit is updated by one of the JS on the page? In that case, it would also be nice if the JS could actually update RA on both Bubble and Profile ...

... it is just not healthy for users to have to click refresh or hit F5 all the time ...

Right?

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

Kevin Chen:
    Size the banner from 90 px to 45 px? Ever seen a 728x45px ad? :P

By the term "high flow website", do you mean it's not a lot of traffic? hehe

DD:
    Not sure what you mean here. When you enter the last activity page, or the profile page, the activity is loaded by an async ajax call (lazyloading). We wont update it while idling, as it'll clear eventual user interactions.

Maybe what you mean is to have a js that checks if there's any new updates, then append a "X new activities" in top of the activity feed that the user can click on to reload it. In that case, maybe later =)

• Kent Løset
    Kent Løset wrote:

The banner size is a "leaderboard" web standard. We're not gonna change it to anything that is not web standard, cause this will require advertisers to pay their design agency to make custom banners just to fit into our custom sizes.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:
    I've fixed an issue where menu items in header that did not have sub-menu items didn't get the white arrow. Now all items will get the arrow, sub-menu items or not.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

@Godfather:

I think this is something that is cool for existing members, but new members won't care much unless the look of the person is appealing for them to become a member. I like the suggestion as a widget on the Magazine though.

New users => Splash/Slideshow Front Page
    This page is intended for new members that don't have a clue what WLIB is, or what you can do here. The data flow on this page is done by script so it'll look more alive - even 03:00 am :-)

Existing users => Magazine
    We're gonna set up this page again soon. But I'm currently positive for having a "featured members" widget like you described. It's more relevant for active users though, so let's add it to the Magazine page. Also, as the Magazine will be a bit more hidden now, we can look into how to tie it up with the activity page, e.g. a lates news feed.

Just throwing ball here tho, I can't conclude here and now on what we will spend time on developing/setting up :-)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... yes, Ole, that's the idea ... as usual, I cannot wait to see it happen, but before that, I can wait until you fix the bugs, heehee ...

... GF, they did have a "star member" or something like that before, dont know what happened ...

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DEVELOPMENT UPDATE:
    Moved the "[Username] - Notifications" menu in the top bar to the right. However, it will still float to the left in IE6 because of a IE bug, and the hack (setting a static width of the menu's parent element) is not a solution that will look good or be flexible. I'll rather spend time on a "Your browser is out of date" splash screen than trying to fix this.

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DD:
    If you have any bugs related to the changes mentioned in this thread (new header, footer and top navigation), do let me know.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... no worries ... probably do some random checks tomorrow ...

... if you have a testing check list (which, well, I seriously doubt), get Jo to email it to me ...

By the way, you guys might want to think about and then quickly implement the feature to allow sending PM to more than one person at the same time (and of course the "reply all" too) ... then I can scream at both you and Jo at the same time, without the need to copy and paste ...

• Ole-Marius
    Ole-Marius wrote:

DD:

I don't think our checklists are relevant to you, as they're for deployments. Testing after deployment is pretty straight-forward though; just test all possible scenarios in all major browsers for each new feature or functionality, or things that has been changed.

And I don't think we're gonna add support for multiple recipients any time soon. I don't really see the scenario where a normal user would need that. Groups - fine. But users? That would just contribute to more spam.You screaming at me and Joe at the same time is not a good example of a scenario as this should normally go trough our support system so me and Joe could do our work undisturbed ;-)

We're working on making the report/block functionality in messages more visible though.

• kö
    wrote:

好好工作

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.