• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:
    <p>I noticed that more and more people here have high privacy settings which makes it impossible to talk to them or browse their profile. While I of course understand the desire of privacy, I feel that the big advantage of WLIB is that there is not as much privacy issues as in Facebook. Here you can contact people, make friends while in FB you can only manage the friends from your real life.</p> <p>So I suggest: If people want to use privacy they should disappear totally. People who dont want to talk to others dont need to be shown in the list of people who have browsed my profile or in the "who is online" page. Because I when i am bored at work i like to just browse the profiles and leave here and there comments. Whenever i am excluded from a profile, this does not give me a very comfortable feeling.</p>
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... I have to be honest that when I was screaming at the admins to get "blocking" (and "privacy") to work properly, this thought had never crossed my mind ...

Being that a large population of this site is Chinese (even if not majority), one way to look at this is how Chinese use QQ or Kaixin00 ...

On those Chinese SNS, the way they "play" it is that you can often only see the basic info and a mug shot ... sadly, you might not even see a mug shot if it is QQ ...

... and they often only made friends with known friends, or by referral ... I have "met‘ a few kids on QQ who were referred by their friends to contact me for help in English ...

Yes, I know, this is NOT QQ, which is more an IM like MSN, but most IM are developing into SNS at the moment, and I think if we look at it this way, then it should be OK?

I thought of one suggestion ... lower the "privacy" a little bit to allow basic info to be shown, however, with a lot of people using false info on their profile anyway, it defeats the purpose ...

So, yes, I agree that it feels "rejected" (or something like that) to see a blank wall, but, being that you dont know whether the person behind the wall is real or not, why do you care?

Does that make sense?

• Joakim Lund Rangel

Unlike uncle haha here, this did cross my mind. But we got tired of the screaming. Anyways, we are thinking about changing the privacy setting so that there is a setting on each profile "widget" instead of one overall for the whole profile. We can see how that goes when that is introduces.

Another thing, and probably the reason some of the people turn on their privacy to the maximum is that there is a certain amount of users in here that are way to agressive on friending and messaging the new members that joins us. To solve this we are going to introduce a user quarantine feature that limits the agressive types on this site from contacting the newest members.

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

Joakim: Yes, you are right. Its better to work on the problem than on the symptoms. But when I read your idea, i was wondering if this kind of quarantine feature really would help? I guess the most of those agressive people are already old members.

Maybe you would better introduce something like a "spamfilter" and "member rating". Firstly, I guess the agressive type of users you are talking about, send a prepared message to everyone to praise a commercial product or to praise certain parts of his body. I guess that individual message are generally not such a big concern.

So you can either check automaticly the content of the first message and see if one person always write an identical content. But I think this would be a bit problematic in terms of privacy.Or you can add something like a complain buttom which gives him a certain "annoyance leve" which is not visible for the public. If one person got too many complains he would be restricted to contact only a certain number of new friends per day.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... how about viewing photos?

There had been random cases where strangers took someone else's photos and created fake profiles, which brought us back to the original point ...

I did see some web sites that disabled things like right-mouse click, or even certain image related functions, but my guess is that it would be browser dependent, as well, it does not take much to find the JPG from local temp folder ... thoughts?

• Olaf G.
    Olaf G. wrote:

You cannot stop it if other people use fake profiles unless you use real names here and everyone of us have to go to the WLIB-Headoffice with the passport to verfify our identy. I am sure no one would want that. So the risk that someone hijack our pics is a risk we have to live with. It has also happened to me before that a chinese travel agency used some of the photos which i have posted somewhere else. Just be careful what you post...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahaha ... guess we cannot win them all :)

... next thing we know, some of the girls might want to have a password for their photo gallery ...Jo ... do-able?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Kyle ... you have been stalked? showoff :)

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Privacy is an important thing in one's life. Tips I often give to those willing to keep much privacy especially online, check what u are posting__Photo and Information.

Or just stay away from social networking site. When u don't like an request from someone, u reject it or bloque him or her like on msn, once u reject someone, u get even the choice to block the person.

High Priest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... I was just kidding ... I know what you mean, and I agree that it is really creepy, just that I dont know how to call it, and "stalking" was the first word that I thought of ...

... as for "friends", I can only see two purposes of it, one is for tagging, and the other is the "privacy" thing, which includes things like viewing profile, sending PM etc ... there might be others?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.