Discussion » Dating & Romance » Dynamic China and inter-racial dating.

• JimmyBond
    JimmyBond wrote:
    <p>I saw some interesting discussions on Chinese and foreigners recently.</p> <p>A friend of mine, who got a Ph.D from U of Michigan, wrote a serious research paper on Chinese girls dating foreign guys. Her conclusion is that in China will probably be like Hong Kong in 10 to 15 years,</p> <p>1) most of "blind worshipping" towards foreigners will decrease, or they will get smarter;</p> <p>2) Chinese guys and girls will get better and more skillful dating and better protecting themselves;</p> <p>3) China will be more confident in real sense.&nbsp;</p> <p>I am a Chinese guy who grew up&nbsp;in the West and I prefer dating a foreign girl just for the sake of my own guilty feelings. Most of Chinese girls appear to seriously lack securities and really want to get married, even the relationship doesn't work (or they are hurt).</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Again, Chinese ladies, no offense intended.</p>
  • Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

"I am a Chinese guy who grew up in the West"

You are not Chinese, please be accurate. You are foreign citizen.

And Hongkong is just a small part of China, no matter where you come, please respect other people.

• №❶ Passioη

1.) "Blind-worshiping". When you say "foreigners", remember it includes vietnamese, Mongolians, and others chinese people don't happen to be completely ignorant about...

2.) "Chinese girls" so far are already doing quite a "smarter" job in using foreign men... your serious researcher is just a bit far behind the scene to see that part.

3.) China is already over-confident in 2011... it's most obvious in Beijing... So in 10 - 15 years I can only wonder what the confidence level would be - in the real sense.

However, my question here would rather be: What makes it sound so derogative to chinese moral standards that their women date, mate, fock and/or even marry foreigners? Is it so far off the natural context of humanity as provided in the "5000 year old" Sino-culture scripts? or is it simply because Mao said so?

A chinese male would do better than a mere Sinologist to answer this one correctly

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... after talking to DuDu yesterday, before he disappeared to supermarket (or church or breast feed the baby), I am still very confused about my DNA at the moment ... like one of Jackie Chan's movie titles "who am I" ... hahahaha ...

I dont know about you guys and gals, but I found it ironic to the point of being ignorant or extremely absurd when people says "no offense intended", because he/she was of course very concious that someone would be offended ...

Ami asked ...

Are you an economist or sociologist? Do you have enough data to support your result? A trustful survey needs at least 1000 random participants.  How many Chinese girls do you know?

... heehee ... unless proven otherwise, I think we can safely say: no, no and not really that many ...

Ami ... if I were you (and you should be glad that I am not, heehee, but anyway), I would just ignore this thread for the moment ... my guess is that Jimmy is jealous of all the attention DuDu and MagicClit has been getting, so he thought he should try to say something controversial so that people wont forget him ...

... and Jimmy, buddy, no offense intended, ok?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Kyle ... since you are relatively new ... Jimmy WAS a to-be-PUA, not sure what he has been doing since then ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@OP, What your friend proved is that she existed within a hopelessly insular ghetto cloister that is the Chinese population of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and she will return to the motherland having learned nothing of value from her time abroad.

You both bring great dishonor to your ancestors.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Lee ... we all know that Jimmy would not get offended ... so, I think you can skip that :)

Monkey ... go find your Master ... he must be highing somewhere ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... nah, i's alright mate ... us blokes know how blokes talk ... Jimmy is no bloke ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

This is an interesting thread , though everyone is crucifying Jimmy for his agreement to the thesis. I too would like to be crucified as I do agree with some of the statements on this foundings.

1) most of "blind worshipping" towards foreigners will decrease, or they will get smarter;

As much as I believe that pure love can attract chinese girls to non chinese guys, there a high percent of my fellow Chinese girls who fall in love with laowei just because they come from a certain country or he is from a certain ethnicity.

This is my own point of view, and my own experience. I've seen Chinese young girl too much exited to tell her u r from America Like Dando, and from Australia like Dildo.

Once they hear that, most, I mean most but all,hand u all the door keys.

Here is are some living experience.

1. One friend of mine, rejected her chinese bf when an australian guy ask her out. I might not have good eyes, but comparing these two guys, If I were a Chinese girl, I would go for the Chinese guy coz he was healthy and young. The Aussie guy was a sick guy who couldn't  live without taking pills to survive. This guy had to go bk to Oz after getting married and leaving his wife as he couldn't get a visa for his wife. Everytime I talk to my friend, she cries for her mistake. The other Chinese guy is married and leading a great life. I hope she's learnt her lesson

2. One girl, on this site, I hope she is reading me ( And it ws even mentioned in on thread). Fell in love with an Americunt. She was so crazy about this fellow of ours. She has never got pregnant in her life, she is now 32, she noticed she was pregnant, she told the guy, he even didn't reply, she called the guy, he even didn't bother to answer t call and know what went on. He later texted her to go and see the doctor and abort.

This girl went through hel, spent money to do all the process alone. She says, she won't fall for a laowai any longer... :)

While I was talking to this sister from this wlib, I was mesmerized that she even didn't know where this boy was living! This boy used to come to her place even once he never took her to his home! So, apart from the phone number, this lady didn't have any other way to track this rubish.

I hope she gets smart for the rest of her life. That's why I hate jigolo!

So, OP, I'm partially with u, though we can't generalize, I believe Chinese girls would be wise enough in dating foreigners. I hate to see them being hurt, but it's hard to avoid as bears roaming around.

High Priest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahaha ... I wonder how BIG do I have to be ... my Cape York has a really sharp end, and little dingly called Tasmania can be used to excite the clit ...

... bad joke ... heehee ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Well, doctorate we leave them for u Dr Scott, Dr, Dando, Dr Dildo,

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) .... those sounded like names of Star Trek charaters ... so, you should be a Hi-g-hon ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... no, Scott ... those probably were daughters of Mah Jong playmates of old Mama Bond ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Lao leo, would you got bk to do the translation work? Doctorate; I leave them to u, but have any one read something consistant from u? I even not sure which language u are able to state ur concept. While u got no a BA, I wonder how u could got for a PhD

• Albulena Imeri

Interesting discussions.

1) The first part of my original post is academic.BTW, she's a sociologist.

2) The second part, it's my personal observation and some stories heard, which should be trustful. Again, nothing personal and no offense intended. I have tremendous respect to some of the best traits from women and Chinese women.

4) Relax, people. And go Wolverines!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Was this "serious research paper" published?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Who ever has writen a thesis amond those arguing here? Some of ur critics are too volatile. Can someone do a reasearch on this topic? Yes! Can it be published? Why not?

Though we might not know how the defender conducted her research, and which population and sample she used to get responses, it's normal to arrive to the conclusions she stated.

People might agree or disagree with it, during her defence and in her paper she might have conviced her audience that she did her job the way it should have get he PhD.

I see more scholars here, yet, even a BA case study they never done it.

Once more, there are more points I'd agree with the writer.

High Priest

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'll repeat my question before it gets lost in the noise:

Was the "serious research paper" published?

If so, I'd be very interested in knowing a bit about the methodology.

People like High Priest will be convinced by anything that confirms their "normal" preconceptions, but this sociologist doubts everything he hears.

Especially when the hypothesis seems patently untestable. "Chinese girls dating foreigners" has never been a statistically significant phenomenon--it's only anecdotally significant because people sensationalize it in forums like this one.

After all, CHINA SO BIG SO MANY PEOPLE. Over 99% of Chinese girls date Chinese guys exclusively because foreigners are such a tiny, tiny sliver of the overall population.

• Saint - Spartacus

PHD , eh,  low standards ~ ~ !

i'm not againste the marriage coz it's sth beautiful

but this thread is bull shit

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Ha ha, it should be pretty much easier to ask the OP to either give a link of the whole work then people can read and see how the author approach  her research. Once a thesis is defended, it means it is published bro! Have u defended any thesis?

But it's nice to have more scholars in this site who got PhD but never published even a single article.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Fang Zhouzi,

That's right! Doctoral theses must be published in academic journals! That is a minimum requirement for earning a PhD anywhere.

What I'm asking is whether this "serious research paper" was the topic of the OP's friend's doctoral thesis, or was it just something she wrote as an undergraduate.

• Saint - Spartacus

@ Chenglongsy

do you mean  tri-lingual or quadrilingual chinese girls are not suit for a chinese guy coz it's hard to understand each other ? 

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(续)。。。哈哈哈哈,聚啊,聚啊!

Chenglongsy ... little Jimmy had made a few statements without giving much else, and therefore can be interpreted in a few ways ... and when Dando jumped in to make a sarcastic comment, everyone started getting into the action, possibly thinking that if Dando can criticize this, then I should do it too, and it pretty much went from there ...

... let's just say that Jimmy is mild compared to the likes of Dudu and MagicClit ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

let's just say that Jimmy is mild compared to the likes of Dudu and MagicClit ...

And what are u then? Phuck, thirsty, let me drink some coconut juice

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(续)。。。哈哈哈哈,这样说,比较贴切!

Hahahaha ... High ... playing tag again? you are tallking too much like "Guinness", but he is way nicer that you are ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I suppose it doesn't really matter, since the OP isn't going to elucidate and tell us anything specific, but eh, what the hell?

"the reason we have this argument, i believe its that some people( chinese and foreigners) are sensitive when they see a chinese gilr with a foreigner."

The reason we're having this discussion is because people are over-sensitive to miscegenation. One sighting of a foreigner holding hands with a Chinese girl creates five rumors.

In terms of the actual population of even an international city like Beijing, we're talking about fractions of a percentage point. It's not even worth researching, as it's an utterly marginal phenomenon.

This is why I could only bear to write two entries of that dreadful Chinese Chick & White Guy column for the WLIB frontpage back when DeMola was still editing; this "foreign fever" phenomenon is as nauseatingly artificial as Brother Sharp and Sister Feng, and many times more pernicious.

"and when Dando jumped in to make a sarcastic comment, everyone started getting into the action, possibly thinking that if Dando can criticize this, then I should do it too, and it pretty much went from there ..."

I wish I was first to snark this thread, but I wasn't. Ami and Kyle left me very little to add.

By the razor-sharp talons of Raptor Christ, don't feed these trolls any more shit for their "Dando Clique" conspiracy theories.

• Albulena Imeri

I just come back to this thread and I only read some replies.

1) I was referring to irrational thoughts and behaviors from SOME Chinese (or some people from developing countries in general) towards the West and Westerners in general. I.E. Da Vinci Furniture or paying a white guy just to sit in the office to show the company's International presense. That's wrong.

2) I think inter-racial relationships is a beautiful thing, too and I myself took part of it. Again I was referring to a few stories similiar to the ones HP mentioned. Sex is over-rated.

3) The paper: It wasn't a Ph.D thesis and it was probably a paper for some first-semester course. And I got my information by talking to her.

4) My thoughts: I think some people are way too sensitive on this rants.

5) @DD: How was the 200RMB hooker?

6) @Scott: Feel free to apply and earn ur Ph.D.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Jimmy ... heehee ... as far as "sensitivity" goes, I think I can say that I topped the chart among people I know, and though I dont have a big issue about this discussion, your "no offense intended" was rather inspirational ... at least a few people picked up on it ... you were not offened, were you?

... ans: no, when I knew that she was your sister (but she looked more like your mother), I left ..

• Albulena Imeri

@DD: Play the insult game? And how old r u again? Sorry I didn't mean to pick  on you, but just saw what you wrote incidentally. And gotta admit I didn't go through the thread and didn't even read a lot of the other "insensitivies" bocoz of time constraint. Value or rage.

@Scott:Research: probly she did some research as source. I am not in Social Science, but am an amateur.

@Everyone else: Thank you for participating and please excuse my arrogance. For more insights and intelligence on China's Social Colononism issue, I would suggest Dr. Li Yinhe's research.

Gotta go back to work now. And have a good day!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahaha ... Jimmy ... sorry, but it was just too much temptation ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@OP, "probly she did some research as source. I am not in Social Science, but am an amateur."

You called it a "serious research paper" in your first post and now all you can say about her methodology is that she "probably did some research"? You can't be more specific than that?

To call yourself an amateur might be a little too generous.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

hahahaa research? if OP's friend want to go into a better school of America ,he should do a reacher about china's "计划生育工作"   “Birth control” &Family planning"in 1970--1980  see how it works and after you do a real research it may surprise the master of Amercan's unversity and even American govenment. About this boys&girls part , i hard to believe it can pass the assess..

But i think it is too  late  for you friend to do it now ...

no affence taken  to girls or boys , where dose you friend come from?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Jenny&King, There aren't many American schools better than the University of Michigan. Hence the disappointment from several posters upstairs.

• Albulena Imeri

@DD: Don't mention my mother, my sister or my GF again. I wouldn't do that to the female members of your family.

@DZ: I don't see any inconsistency here. And the amateur title doesn't matter.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

Dando  i forgot you from there ,here we go:

Top 10 universities in America 

No.1 Harvard University in Boston

No.2 Princeton University, princeton, new Jersey

No.3 Yale University, in connelticut new private University founded in 1701 years ,beginning name is "Collegiate School"

No.4 Massachusetts Institue of Techology 

No.5 Colofomia Institute of Technology founded in 1891.

No.6 Durham,North Carolina

No.7 Stanford University is the best private University in West bank

No.8 The university of Pennsyvania build in 1740 years.

No.9 Dartmouth colleage 

No.10 Columbia University ..

Still i believe what you said .................................still there is a better one ..........

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... sorry ... wont do it to you again :)

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

And One of my school mate who listend to our superviser to do a research about china's old days "birth control " really got a high mark and went in to the top ten, i was few years ago when American accused china have no "人权“human rights and this kind of topics are sensitive at that time so draged them so much attentions 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@JimmyBond, Did I accuse you of inconsistency?

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

No guess, what i want to say is , a better post , a better research , a better Universith .........................................................

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@JimmyBond, I believe I accused you of fallacy.

One meaning of "amateur" is to be passionate about something but not professionally devoted to it as a source of income. You're not even passionate enough about social sciences to tell us anything other than, My friend wrote a paper. She is smart. I agree with it.

I'm an amateur social scientist. I've only got an undergraduate degree in sociology and a passionate disdain for people who abuse social science to confirm their own preconceptions.

As I've pointed out numerous times, interracial dating in China has never been anything more than an extremely marginal phenomenon. Chinese girls overwhelmingly prefer Chinese guys ALREADY. What the actual fuck are you suggesting is going to change in the future to make China more like Hong Kong?

You seem to be laboring under an assumption that presently, Chinese women prefer foreigners, an assumption that is based on scattered anecdotal evidence rather than any statistical realities.

@Pete, I'm not really concerned with the pissing contest that is US college rankings. I was responding to, "if OP's friend want to go into a better school of America," because I couldn't figure out why anyone would want the trouble of going to a better one. It's already got a reputation as a "public ivy," not equal to the private research universities, but certainly comparable.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... honestly, I dont remember last time I specifically spotted any inter-racial couples in HK, unless they have a really cute baby :)

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

A woman, despite where she comes from, who has never tried foreign cuisine is a boring woman with no taste in life and fashion. All the rest are self-explanatory. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.