Discussion » Beijing Life » Searching for a buddhist temple (僧院 )

• Carmen
    Carmen wrote:
    <p>I arrived in Beijing last wednesday &nbsp;and even i went here a several times I still don't know where i can find a buddhist temple (never searched one before) - having some meditation and inspiration (or at least SILENCE!) - since I'm staying here for quite a long time i would like to deepen my knowledge about buddhism. i just learned some contents of the religion or rather philsophy and it's been a tough way to get to this religion - anyway, if someone knows a good temple which is good to reach by train or other public transport feel free to contact me :)</p> <p>Carmen &nbsp;</p>
  • Morten Eriksen

Tanzhe Temple, the biggest temple in beijing.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

If you are looking for meditation, inspiration and silence, The Temple of heaven -天坛- is a good place

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

I don't think any of the commentators above has offered a proper solution, understandable, since Beijing is such a crazy place that people couldn't grasp the essence of buddhist meditation anymore.

I tried and it is impossible to find a temple within the city where you can have in-house meditation, despite that buddhism temples are full of tourists paying respect. In Huairou District though, there is a Hong Luo Temple, comparatively less commercial, I am not sure if they accept in-house meditators but there are reasonable accommodations available close to the temple.

If I were a buddhism enthusiast, I would certainly go to Tibet or India.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Silent cloisters are for neophytes. If you need peace and quiet in order to meditate, you're fucking doing it wrong. You might as well just take an old TV set with dial controls, turn the volume all the way up, and wedge the dial between two different channels to produce that snowy static hiss to drown out all the background noise. After only a few minutes you will fully grasp the non-duality of noise and silence.

Or you will get annoyed and fail. If that happens, call me, and I will come to your house and beat you with a fly whisk until you understand. Then I will hit you with a fly whisk again. Because that's fucking enlightening shit right there.

Meditation shouldn't be about turning inward and examining your thoughts. That's metacognition, not meditation. It's entirely contrary to the concept of No-Self.

You wanna be hardcore Buddhist? Meditate on the fucking subway without getting in anyone's way.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

schss ! Dando, you dont have the proper slanted eyes to grasp the essence of buddhist meditation...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I get all squinty-eyed when I'm really, really baked. I'm also good at maths. Am I properly Asiatic enough to have a Buddha-nature, or when I die, will I end up having to plea my case to white St. Peter, who'll be all like "Aw hell naw nyukka, you jus' a heathen cracker," before sending me to the part of hell where new agers and hippies go, which is actually a rather pleasant environment because people accept established climate science, but all the new agers and hippies are there, so it sucks like hell.

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Hongluo Temple, Shengquan Temple, both in Huairou, a bit far though.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.