Discussion » Nonsense » What's good Beijing?

• Valery
    Valery wrote:
    <p>Hello everyone! I'm here with my girls for 2 weeks. We'll be doing the tourist thing, the Great Wall, Sanlitun, Forbidden City etc..</p> <p>But where are good shopping areas, bars, and maybe a place where we can get a nice spa treatment.&nbsp;</p> <p>All suggestions are welcome!&nbsp;</p> <p>Val</p>
  • Simen Wangberg

"friendly people here??"

Where? On MY WLIBJ? It's far less likely than you thought.

Just avoid Silk Street and...well, anywhere else where there's a ton of white people. At least then you can avoid getting ripped off. Just kidding, you'll probably still get ripped off at some point. Drink some tea at the Great Wall or something?

• Simen Wangberg

"I may actually brave the subways and venture around!"

If you're not familiar with the city, the subway is definitely the best way to get around. You'll be stuck between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m. (6?) when they close, but at that point, you're probably only going to be going to restaurant/bar areas, and those are easy enough to get to via taxi.

• Kevin Chen
    Kevin Chen wrote:

1,shopping , best is ZOO market!!!!

2,bars : SANLITUN has more than 10 nice bars, and wednesday to JUICY SPOT, weekend can go VICS CLUB , LATIE CLUB.

3,spa: the best place should be BATH CENTER, like HAN NA SHAN.

• Simen Wangberg

Definitely not. Unless you've never hung out with a bunch of creepy middle-aged dudes and drunk college kids before, in which case, you should definitely try it.

• Simen Wangberg

Yes. Yes, you will.

If you absolutely must go to a nightclub, there are a few in the SLT area that aren't total shitholes. The only uniquely "Chinese" thing about Beijing's nightlife scene is the Gongti strip of nightclubs - expensive, packed with snobby locals, fantasically horrible Chinese pop music. But you can see how the nouveau-riche like to party, if that's your deal.

The rest of the nightclubs, lounges, dive bars and live music venues are pretty much just like you'd find back home, so I don't know if you'd even want to bother checking them out.

• Simen Wangberg

Seriously, if you want a true-blue Beijing nightlife experience, just chill in any poorly-lit alley with a lukewarm bottle of Yanjing and some barbecued lamb on a stick. Nightclubs and all of their patrons can collectively blow me.

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

haha good advice.  Although for an attractive single woman (Chinese, foreign, or ABC) the gonti strip may be a great place to hang out for a dose of the Beijing nightlife.  CN club "my personal favorite should I feel the need to party" is not bad, Mix has been getting worse over the last few years, COCO Banana is ok, but actually they are all pretty much the same style and mix around Gongti, however I have found the new club CN near Tun bar has really great music and good performances.  Fresh interior, but it is rather expensive. 

I would check out some hutongs, hit up houhai, 798 art district, tiananmen is a must, summer palace, xiangshan, Beijing Zoo, there is a new water park called "Shui Mo Fang"  in Fengtai on the West fourth ring road and it is pretty good, ZIzhuyuan park is pretty, Yuyuantan is pretty, Birds nest in olympic park is cool to see, the seafood buffet at GuoMao's Guojidafandian is a freakin must, Xiaojiangnan "Southern Beauty"  Is a great example of luxury dining in Beijing, I have too many places to list.....  If you can't speak Chinese and need a friend to show you around call me 15110148366 myself or one of my roommates will be happy to help.  If you feel wierd around a guy you never met before then I can try to hook you up with a female freind of mine to help you ladies. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.