Discussion » Health & Fitness » Leprosy spreading in India

• The War
    The War wrote:
    <p id="yui_3_3_0_1_131286507500925">Six years after <span id="lw_1312631426_0">leprosy</span> was declared officially eliminated in India, officials and doctors are warning that the disfiguring disease is spreading in poverty-stricken pockets of the country.</p> <p id="yui_3_3_0_1_1312865075009262">The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) in India, Nata Menabde, told AFP in an interview that nearly a third of India's districts needed urgent attention to address the spread of new infections.</p> <p id="yui_3_3_0_1_1312865075009269">"There are about 209 out of 640 districts where the number of new cases exceeds the WHO target of less than 10 new cases per 100,000," she said.</p> <p id="yui_3_3_0_1_1312865075009272">"India is the biggest contributor to the global burden with 120,000 new cases per year," she added.</p> <p id="yui_3_3_0_1_1312865075009275">Leprosy, an ancient disease which causes lesions on the skin and attacks nerves in the hands and feet, resulting in disability, was declared officially eliminated in India in 2005 according to WHO guidelines on prevalence rates.</p> <p>And more about it here:</p> <p>http://news.yahoo.com/warns-leprosy-spreading-india-114309560.html</p>
  • Simen Wangberg

I can't say I'm shocked. I haven't been there, but from what I've heard from a couple of tourists + some horrible pictures they posted on ChinaSmack awhile back, that place is even dirtier than China. Yiiiiikes.

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

India is a beautiful country with profound culture, which has contributed a great deal to human civilizations. Some communual dieases are still outrageous there due to the limited economic conditions and, more importantly, geography and climate conditions. 

Leprosy is a horrible disease, although curable, and yes, it had been a terror in India about Leprosy. We will only have more fancy new diseases in the future, from invention and evolution, so grasp a sensible attitude towards them, this is not Resident Evil.  

• №❶ Passioη

"We Live In Beijing" Dot Com

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

“, that place is even dirtier than China”

How can a democratic country be dirtier than a dictatorship country?

India is human being's hope and future with democracy, freedom and better-off life.

But we Chinese should thank 马海德 (http://www.hudong.com/wiki/%E9%A9%AC%E6%B5%B7%E5%BE%B7) who contributed his whole life to his country and people to eliminate venereal disease and leprosy. 

But I met lots of Indian in western countries, few of them think India is poor or dirty or backward, they all can find excuses for that incredible country, especially, democracy is their biggest weapon to defeat and doubts, haha

• №❶ Passioη

Here we go again... Battle Cry :d take your positions Scott, Dando, DD, etc

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

People in India are free. People in china are unfortunately not. Too much control is not good for the soul. Judging and projecting your shit onto your fellow man is not going to help anything. We are all in it together. Smarten up!!!!

You betta check yo self beef you reck yo self!"

Is this kind of western normal? I am sure he is retarded and he is representative of western people, haha

Free? haha

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

When I talked with some Indians, all they believe their incredible country is just second to US, haha, and they are confident that India is much better that any African countries, and I am impatient to correct them that as far as I know, there are at least 10 African countries are better than China in terms of GDP per capita or other aspects. Maybe because they think they can speak good English and they learnt lots of dirty political tricks from British so they should be a powerful country, actually, India should be decomposed in the interest of normal people living in that sub-continent and the world peace.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Master ...you called? Nah ... just kidding ...

DuDu wrote: But I met lots of Indian in western countries, few of them think India is poor or dirty or backward, they all can find excuses for that incredible country, especially, democracy is their biggest weapon to defeat and doubts, haha

... right on ... and I believe many Chinese feel a similar way about China ... the only difference is perhaps that they cannot say "democracy is their biggest weapon" ...

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

You are totally wrong, the people who most hated China are those Chinese, I never met any Chinese like me who can be proud to defend their country, on the contrary, those dirty Indian can defend their dirty country very justifiably.

When those Chinese meet western retarded people, most of them don't know how to defend their country.

By the way, you are not Chinese, you are Aussie, please make it be clear.

Chinese never find excuses for their country like Indians, that's one reason China can run so fast no matter it is good or not, that's only a fact.

• №❶ Passioη

RingRing DuDu Your Thing! I think we've come down this road before...

Just remember no one is taking your China away from you :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... you have not met enough people ... there used to be a Canadian Chinese here who said very loudly and proudly that he would trade his Canadian citizenship for a Chinese citizenship ... I think you two could be great friends, but we have not heard from him for a long time ...

Bingo! You are correct, again! By the way, I had never said that I am "Chinese", perhaps only by blood, but most locals would tell me that HK is (now) part of China, so even though I am Australian, they said that I am Chinese, only if more Chinese are as intelligent and reasonable as you are ...

• Tedd Aspen Stensløkken

Even by blood you are not Chinese.

because most Chinese are really stupid and ignorant, that's why I am glad to see more and more stupid Chinese go abroad and to know the world.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... and now I am totally confused ... I am fairly sure you said that I am some category of Chinese before ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I think DuDu has left the building ... it's Sunday morning for him, so either church or supermarket?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.