Discussion » Nonsense » Who are your idols?

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I’m a little uncomfortable with idolatry; hero-worship can be a terrible thing and we should all be weary of making gods of men.

But every now and then there are little flashes of genius, kindness, beauty etc. that I can’t help but feel a little flushed.

A few names that spring to mind (for me) are George Orwell, Eric Cantona, Samuel Johnson, Lin Yutang, Jim Morrison, Hunter. S. Thompson, Gandhi, Frank Zappa, Beavis & Butthead, John Updike and perhaps the Dude.

Who are your heroes?

• Simen Wangberg

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Nah, they don't...

I forgot Freddie Mercury

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Myths and legends die hard in America. We love them for the extra dimension they provide, the illusion of near-infinite possibility to erase the narrow confines of most men's reality. Weird heroes and mould-breaking champions exist as living proof to those who need it that the tyranny of 'the rat race' is not yet final.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Hunter S. Thompson, The Dude, Chuck Palahniuk, and Motoko Kusanagi are the first that come to mind.

• Simen Wangberg

"Dr. Lecter"

Oooh. Good one. Would also go with Chuck and The Dude.

And, of course, Halo. I heard eh's a pretty cool guy.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

eh kills aleins and doesnt afraid of anything

• Person
    Person wrote:

Demetri Martin

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Plated silver over gold.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Bruce Chan and Jackie lee.

I loved the movies in which honor was centered upon respect thus influenced by tradition and the negations remained relevant at least.

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Teachers used to be my idols: they seemed to know everything and they could decide what was right or wrong. It's both good and bad to find out that's an illusion.

Is idol necessary for us? If so, I'd ask Thoreau to be my idol. But he would despise me for that.

• Simen Wangberg

What do Michael Jackson and Anna Nicole Smith have in common?

They were both total junkies + died from drug overdoses!

I don't buy that he was "troubled" either. Lots of people have had way more fucked-up childhoods (and subsequently fucked-up adult lives) than him. No pity for celebrities.

• Saint - Spartacus

the scientist

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

i love my mom,but sometimes i don't really understand her

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... I keep reading "idiots" instead of "idols" ... it's just me ...I am sure ...

• Simen Wangberg

"Why not believe Michael Jackson had a troubled life?  Just because other people had a more fucked up childhood and subsequently a more fucked up adult life does not take away the fact that his whole life was fucked up.  The level of gravity does not dictate its existence."

I'll rephrase that - I don't believe that his fucked-up childhood should be used as an excuse for his later behavior, as plenty of people have had worse experiences and still emerged as normal, healthy adults. It's weaksauce.

Plus I just like to shock Chinese people who aren't aware of his illicit behavior. "But he is super star, good person!"

Nooooo. Junkie. Suspected pedophile. GOOD PERSON.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Pity is a scarce resource that should be saved for people from similar circumstances who aren't goddamned celebrities. As long as we're elevating them to the status of idol, shouldn't we commensurately raise the standards we judge them by?

Popular culture is supposedly justified by the illusion that talented people are rewarded with money and fame. Maybe, just maybe, if Michael Jackson wasn't groomed for stardom from an early age by overbearing parents or elevated to sacred cow status by the likes of you and Nancy, maybe he would still be alive. And black.

Shame on you.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

The "weaksauce" is you, preaching your 'normal, healthy adult' gospel, which is just more rank "moralfaggotry," as the cool nerds say.

Don't blame Michael Jackson just because he would not have molested you.

@Laura Luo,

Jared Leto? He was in a few cool movies, but he then turned "musician" and proceeded to a achieve a level of SUCK, beyond even Creed or Nickelback, in the /f/art of producing files of data material that computer audio programs express as music-ish but that is actually a virus of ugly tumors.

Imagine if some blunt tool like 'Pete Mcbrostein' wrote a bunch of songs about himself and then had them professionally produced and polished in Hollywood and then made videos of staged 'high energy' arena performances intercut with circling crane-cam footage of fake fans reaching out to him as he struck a series of messianic poses with his eyes closed and fists clenched while bathed in spritual red spotlighting. It's like that. Only worse.

• Simen Wangberg

"I highly doubt troubled individuals consciously use their troubled childhood as a license to do bad things later on in life."

I'm phrasin' my phrases wrong! Lemme clarify my clarification - the fact that observers use his family history as a justification for his drug use/abuse/pedophilia (maybe? I will actually give him the benefit of the doubt as to whether he ever actually had sexual contact with any children) is the weakness.

Like people who make the argument that it's tough living your life in the spotlight or whatever - famous people make that choice, I feel like? Like no one forces them to sing & dance in front of a million people. It's something they can walk away from - not easily, but they can, if it's really so hard being famoussss.

And while I don't have any numbers or statements or anything to back this up, I think there certainly are people who use crappy childhoods as an excuse for crappy behavior in their adult lives. I know it's definitely been trotted out by defense lawyers more than a few times.

"The "weaksauce" is you, preaching your 'normal, healthy adult' gospel, which is just more rank "moralfaggotry," as the cool nerds say."

Calm down, dawg. It's not his drug use I have a problem with - some drugs aren't so bad, mkay? It's the fact that he ended up becoming a junkie + succumbing to his addiction. Plus, ya know, the pedophilia allegations. But like I said, I'm more or less willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one, although he's still creepy as fuck.

Jared Leto, on the other hand, is a toolbag deluxe. More like 30 Seconds From M.A.R.S. (Mediocre Arena-Rock Shittiness).

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"Besides, do you honestly think you can get me to think all the adoration and flattery from his fans caused his insecurities and fucked up image of himself?"

Yes. This, absolutely this. I couldn't have said it better myself. And I say so while fully cognizant of the sarcastic "Internet celebrity" wisecracks I've earned for myself for being among the motherfuckingest of WLIB troll-stars.

Also, you killed Jesus.

Really, I was taking the piss, but there is some kernel of truth to the idea that celebrity status is itself a mental illness imposed by the adoration of fanatics. I think Lady Gaga's manufactured identity represents an exposition on this theme, albeit a light-hearted one. Her fans are her 'little monsters' and are in some small way responsible for her ongoing metamorphosis.

The difference is that Lady Gaga can take a joke. When people were gossiping that she had a penis, she rolled with the punches and assimilated it into her transhumanist freak-identity. MJ is inauthentic by comparison.

"His fucking parents did that and the lack of guidance."

Lack of guidance? Heh. Yeah, right. His mother was a Jehovah's Witness and his father beat and ridiculed him. He was forced into showbiz. If anything, he suffered from an excess of guidance and discipline.

Maybe if people didn't buy his records and he didn't become a megastar, he would have had time for therapy for body image dysmorphia as an adult, and he wouldn't have developed that nasty Peter Pan complex either. But he got rich and diddled boys instead.

tl;dr MJ is indeed worthy of pity, but he's not above criticism. No one is.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"It's the fact that he ended up becoming a junkie + succumbing to his addiction."

That's right. Unintentionally over-dosing is the weakest of sauces, like cold au jus. It demonstrates a callous disregard for drug culture and a brazen disrespect for the drugs themselves. What a waste. Think of how many people could have gotten high if the addicts didn't get greedy and OD. It's enough to make me sick. Nauseous! And y'know what I do when I'm feeling nauseous? Bong-hits.

On a side note, there is a long German word for the feel I got when I heard the rumors that Amy Winehouse died from a seizure brought about from acute alcohol withdrawals. I've known for some time that alcohol is one of the rare drugs that can kill you if you attempt to quit 'cold turkey'. Abruptly quitting alcohol has a considerably higher chance of lethality than quitting heroin. I just didn't think that Amy Winehouse would be the promethean martyr to enlighten the masses with this arcane psychopharmacological wisdom.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

It's wishful thinking to assume Gaga doesn't take herself as seriously if not more seriously than Jackson ever did. She is very deluded about her 'fans,' talking about being 'married' to them and 'living' for them, etc. She thinks she's their God. She bragged about writing her piece of shit song "Born this Way" in ten minutes, calling it an 'Immaculate Conception.' She's long gone.

• Ekki
    Ekki wrote:

+1 MOTOKO!!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

• Simen Wangberg

I believe it.

I don't know what I believe anymore.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Habeeb it.

• Mari Vidste
    Mari Vidste wrote:

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

What's wrong with Dando's Chinese? He picked the most popular saying at the moment.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Not everyone will find my copypasta agreeable, @Star.

• Simen Wangberg

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.