Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » Chinese valentines day is this week

• Lao Lee
    Lao Lee wrote:
    <p>As I am bored and all... I have decided to be informative.</p> <p>For all of the guys with Chinese girlfriends... (or just out on saterday night and wondering why the girl you picked up wont leave you alone):</p> <p>Chinese Valentine's Day is on the 7th day of the 7th lunar month in the Chinese calendar.</p> <p>In China time zone, <br />Year 2010 is on August 16, 2010<br />Year 2011 is on August 6, 2011<br />Year 2012 is on August 23, 2012<br />Year 2013 is on August 13, 2013<br />Year 2014 is on August 2, 2014</p>
  • Erik Røger
    Erik Røger wrote:

I didnt realise this!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... bored? Go watch a movie or something ... I am off to watch Transformers 3 this afternoon, apparently, the 3D edition 。。。

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

It's the Summer Triangle story....

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

@Jorrit

The day yes is a traditional 节日 (sorry, don't think Holiday and Festival could describe this 节日 precisely) of a long history, but it's not for lovers despite the legend is so.

It's called 女儿节,乞巧节or 少女节 in Chinese, it's a 节日 for young maids.

Don't remember since when people started to called it 中国情人节, obvisouly the merchants played a great role in this for seeing how much they can make from western V-day.

Never met a person who claimed he/she celebrated this "festival" before it turned into a 情人节,neither did their parents.

• Simen Wangberg

"Never met a person who claimed he/she celebrated this "festival" before it turned into a 情人节,neither did their parents."

Whoa whoa whoa, back on up there for a minute. So you guys NEVER celebrated it until someone decided to describe it as "Chinese Valentine's Day"?

WHAT HATH CAPITALISM WROUGHT. A lot worse shit than that, of course, but...jeez. That is kind of lame. Actually, weren't the greeting card companies behind the creation of Western Valentine's Day, or is that just a myth?

• Simen Wangberg

Hoop doop. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Churches and large corporations blow equally in my book.

• Shaney
    Shaney wrote:

Will have a day off on that day?

• Saint - Spartacus

so what will happen ?

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

@ Michael

Techinically based on what I said your conclusion is correct but I implied as far as its being a lover's festval is conerned cuz the topic is about that, right?

There's a tradtional way to celebrate it, I don't bother to translate what I can find about it since I never saw it in person, 

It's too ritualistic for modern people to do. Hence before some people started to celebrate in lovers' way, it's "celebrated" as a memorial day of the Cowboy and the Knitting girl. It says sitting below the grape trellis you can hear what this couple says on this day.

@ Astaroth

Every Chinese is aware of that, but speaking of Summer Triangle...

• V. Bilrost
    V. Bilrost wrote:

Turdusmerula gathers...

• GG
    GG wrote:

That's why I'm looking for a fuck tonite :)

• Shaney
    Shaney wrote:

oh well, good for this year, or its gonna be just another ordinary working day...

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

That's why my...Oh, nevermind.

• GG
    GG wrote:

@Astaroth - I know that already. Today is Chinese Valentine's day so, I'm looking for a special fuck. and how did you know that I'm rich. creepy dude!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.