Discussion » Employment Opportunities » Architectural Design Salary?

• Jeromy
    Jeromy wrote:
    <p>I currently live in Houston and have been aplying to work in various cities. One higher end architectural firm, located between Dongcheng and Chaoyang in Beijing, is interested in me and is requesting that I state my salary requirements. I would fill a full time, 40 hour/week, long term position for architectural concept designing and technical architectural drawings.</p> <p>I have never been to Beijing and I am not sure what a good salary is there. If I had stayed here in the United States, I would have hoped to start off around 50,000 USD per year. I would be able to take care of my wife and soon to be child and get by with no problems. I wouldn't be rich, but we would be very comfortable and have a nice place with entertainment and shopping on the side for fun. But Houston and Beijing are very different... what would someone doing that kind of work in Beijing make? What is a salary to take care of myself, my wife, and our child on the way where she doesn't have to work? Is healthcare taken out of taxes, etc? I have to consider schooling for my child when it gets to be older as well.</p> <p>Sorry to repeat. This is just to clarify. Basically I guess it's two questions that merge into one. One is what should an architectural designer make there. The second question is what should someone make (minimum) in Beijing to take care of himself, and wife and kid, and still be able to save money for travel and entertainment/shopping. </p>
  • Shane
    Shane wrote:

I would think between 25,000 RMB/month, higher end around 35,000 but I'm not sure.

My advice is make sure they include lots of "extras" in your contract. I think Chinese companies like to pay less but give lots fo "bonuses" like renting you a nice apt up in LiDu or a good international apartment complex, travel bonus for going home, maybe gym membership or other things like that which will ultimately make your life in Beijing more enjoyable.

Good luck!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... you are surely not greedy enough ...

To answer the basic question, what standard do you want to use? Local Chinese one, or the foreigner one? And do you plan to go back to States in the future?

The local Chinese standard and requirement is far lower then general foreigner requirement ... my in-law, family of three, is supposedly living on around 20k per month, or USD 3k, with a mortgage, their girl is 5 yo ...

If you should find this useful, I can continue later :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... to answer that, you need to decide whether you might want to get a home loan or pay rent ... FYI, and as most people know ... it is nearly impossible for foreigner to get a local credit card, and I dont know how difficult, even if possible, for foreigner to get a home loan ...

I myself dont own or drive a car in Beijing, because I am not a very brave man, and that public transport is much cheaper (even taxi), so if you want to drive, I cannot tell you how much it would cost ...

As far as medical bill or insurance is concerned, as a foreigner, you get NONE (or little) of it, so you will have to get private insurance (last checked, about RMB 15k per person per year, and it gets more expensive as you grow old) ...

And as far as leisure such as dining out and traveling, it depends on the "standard" you want, like I had always said, you can live cheap orextravagant, it is your choice ... 

* going home now, more later, sorry *

• Simen Wangberg

If the architectural firm you're talking about is truly "high-end", as you say it is, then they should be able to offer you a "high-end" salary, no? Don't take any less than you would be able to receive in your home country - I think that goes without saying. Otherwise, why even bother moving?

Public schools in China...yeaaahhh. No. Don't. You're gonna want to get your kid into an international private school, most (if not all) of which are pricey. But again, if you're working for a high-end, international company, they should include your kid's tuition fees in the package they offer you.

Standard-issue expat package is a nice apartment/condo in Lidu/Shunyi, schooling for your kids, a generous health insurance package and a salary equal to, if not higher, than what you would normally get in your home country. Take no less than that and ask for more, more, more.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... finished dinner ...

With education, the top public schools are not easy to get in, even for locals, more so if you are a foreigner, as for the private ones, they often use foreign education system and hence encourage kids to go overseas for colleges instead of local, which might not be what you want for yours kids ... however, I might be incorrect about this, since I dont have kids ...

More about living cost ... for the two of us, we spend about 5k per month on average, or USD900, and that includes phone bills, clothes, grocery, dining out, transport and utility, rent is extra, and so is travel ... we are not the socialable type and we dont meet friends every weekend, so that cuts down our cost ... we dont even go to movies very often as we buy cheap DVD or download ...

Oh, as for "package", my wife is a "true" expat, she got her offer before she came to (or came back to, as her family lives here) Beijing, including an once-off relocation allowance, yearly ticket back to Australia, insurance (non local insurance companies), and a fairly fat pay check ... on the other hand, I myself is not a true expat, I came here with nothing, and it was difficult for me to find a job, for a very, very long time ...

... this is all off head, if you want more specific details, feel free to ask ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.