Discussion » Beijing Life » Fun Friday Night at Sanlitun

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:

Last night I meet some friends at Sanlitun. My lame guy friends leave early, so I end up in a car with 3 girls, driving to another bar. The girl driving I met only one other time, and while trying to get out of SLT, there is a tight squeeze to get past a car coming the other way.

After we pass them, this other girl comes running back to our car screaming that we had hit and damaged her car. Her boyfriend quickly comes as well, and they're screaming, going nuts demanding immediate payment of 1000rmb. This girl driving the car I'm in is so timid and shy, and I immediately instruct her to drive away, but she won't, fearing it will somehow cause further trouble for her.

I get out of the car and ask to see the damage. When the guy sees that I'm a foreigner, he goes absolutely NUTS. He throws his umbrella in my face and charges at me, and his 2 friends are pulling him back. I said nothing to him, just asked to take pictures of the damage, and he goes even more crazy, trying to hit and kick me.

As he acts crazier and crazier, I continue holding up my phone like I'm videotaping him, which makes him more pissed. I eventually do inspect his car, and there's nothing to see. His friend is feeling around with his hand, trying to find the "scratch," because there's absolutely nothing visible. Of course when I'm rolling my eyes, pointing out that there's nothing, he goes nuts again.

My driver called the police at some point, and just when this guy is starting to actually punch me in the face and kick me, I notice the police stopped at the end of the street, just sitting in the car. As this guy is actually assaulting me (keep in mind I never said anything ever to him, my Chinese is bad), I raise my hands in the air, continue backpedaling towards the police car, and start yelling "Pengyou! Bang wo!" (Help!). As he continues swinging his fists at me, I actually circle the police car, looking into the window for some help, and watch as the officer switches seats, but never gets out of the car!! (LA police are always dying to beat the shit out of people -- they will do it if you look at them wrong. I thought for sure the police would jump out of the car and start beating the shit out of that guy when they saw this!)

At this point, the situation attracts some attention from some other foreigners walking by. A group of black guys starts watching wide-eyed, and I look to them for some sort of support -- if anyone in this city can empathize with crazies and police bullshit, I'll bet it's them. Then a group of white guys starts watching as well, and I explain the situation to both groups. The crazy guy goes nuts when I'm talking, but his friends start pulling him back harder when they realize that there's now 7 sympathetic foreigners standing around.

One of the bystanders suggests just driving away, which I told the girl to do an hour earlier. I don't know what she was expecting to happen sitting there all night and refusing to pay. The police were there, clearly not interested in being involved whatsoever (which they shouldn't in civil disputes), and even when it escalated to assault, they did nothing.

Finally, she starts driving, and she can't even get the car around the tight corner, and I'm thinking "I did all that to defend this girl's driving?!?! It's horrible." She's still too rattled to properly operate the car,

• Fabian Kollen
    Fabian Kollen wrote:

ohhhh, what a hellll..........

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

uh,what a drama,i heard about it later didn't realize the craziness,and u guys did it in the rain! 

were they drunk,if u have knocked him out,u wouln't have come back home,not a good idea.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

@Scott, seems that you got a bad hand in that situation....if You would have punched him, I´m pretty sure, the police would have done something... but against you, and then the night could have got worse... something more than the bitter current feeling of defenselessness...

• Kevin Brekke
    Kevin Brekke wrote:

big fail... you should have kicked those suckers ass

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

Seen this kind of stuff several times before, and no the police won't do anything if they see blood.

You did the right thing by not reacting...

• kö
    wrote:

dont always go sanlitun..not safe....

• Simen Wangberg

Do you think the guy started going nuts because he saw that you were foreign, or because he saw that you were male? Not discounting your account of the incident, I've certainly seen and heard of plenty of Chinese-on-foreigner violence, especially in SLT.

But I feel like maybe he just started wigging out cos he saw that you were a dude and realized that he could get away with hitting you. Then again, I've also seen plenty of Chinese dudes beating on women in public, so...okay, nevermind. :-/

• Amalie Sæverud

we could be totally screwed that night! Because the girl drank a cocktail!

And that why they blackmail us! Never ever drink and drive!

We were actually lucky!

• Pavoir Sponse
    Pavoir Sponse wrote:

I only had to pay 2,000 when I beat up a police officer...

• Petter Meisfjordskar

And the country is fighting to get to the G8. The only richness a country can ever have are the brains of its people.

• Petter Meisfjordskar

The first place i was taken to when i came to Beijing was SLT. I hated it right away. Many of the Chinese guys there scheme at the slightest chance to extract money from a foreigner or beat him up. I am sure its the worst place to happen.

• Father Of Boring

Right, so, everyone hates SLT, but where else is open at 3 in the morning that isn't Gongti?  If the hutong bars would try and maybe be open late for once, I'd abandon SLT in a minute. 

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Any 老北京人 will tell you that Sinlitun is an empty husk of what it was before it was "civilized" in preparation for the Olympics. 老外 and 外地人 ought to shut the fuck up and stop talking like it's the wrong side of the tracks. There's a goddamned shopping mall next door. How bourgeois.

The only reason people keep getting into fights there is because of this phantasmal reputation that still haunts the place even though nowadays it's become totally upscale uptown and up its own ass.

@sametroll, That's a shitty metaphor that someone would only utter if they were trying to imagine what nightlife was like outside of the Wudaokou bubble. In Sanlitun, everything is expensive and everybody is too high and tweaked out to be hungry.

@Nicholas, Hutong bars should stay open late? Yeah. Nah. Don't be such a goddamned asshole. Think about that for a minute. Have you ever actually been in a hutong other than Wudaoying or Nanluoguxiang during daylight hours? Those neighborhoods exist for reasons other than boutiques and bars. They're primarily residential areas. Old people live there for fuck's sake. Noisy TMD洋鬼子 should stay in Sanlitun.

• Simen Wangberg

Welcome back, COOL! Have I ever told you how cool you are? No, it's funny, cos I actually never thought your posts were that interesting before, but this place has become so utterly overrun with morons that I can actually appreciate your calm and level-headed approach. Have a Guinness. You...you earned it.

• Simen Wangberg

At least he ended up with girls in his car, Borscht. Remember when you asked that dude out to dinner last week? No? Let me remind you:

borjitasm to Camaron: we live really close we can met some day ill invite u dinner

• N-Die 北京的法国人

:s Don't get in the car of an unknow person :p even a pretty charming gal ;)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... as the infamous icon of stupidity, I have to ask one utterly stupid and retarded question ...

Q: why is anyone still going back to the Tun, for dinner or movies or drinks, as well as other legal and illegal activities, when everyone says that it is such a crap and dangerous place?

I personally dont mind it that much, other than the walk to line 10 (yes, I am fat and lazy), as I mostly went there for dinners (lunch too) and movies, and an occassional drink with the crowd on an average of every half year, but I had never experienced or even witnessed what was described above, or other similar events ... though, I did get a suggestive proposal from a old woman once :)

... furthermore, the Chinese in me uphold the Chinese 阴谋论, and sometimes I wonder why did this happen?

If anyone is out there, here is my advice ... go to a library ... heehee :)

... yes, and us blokes believe that sheilas cant drive ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"Gather 'round, younguns and let me tell you a story about Sanlitun," they whisper, squinting as they light another Zhongnanhai, as if to say I've seen some shit.

• Simen Wangberg

"Why, ONE time, I even saw a Korean hooker...a DEAF-MUTE Korean hooker!"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think she was cousin to NYC's hipster grifter. Is she still around?

• Simen Wangberg

I haven't seen her in awhile, but there have been sporadic reports of sightings. No I have no idea actually.

"Why, in MY day, you could just walk up to the nearest Nigerian and buy inferior hash! How things have changed...*sigh*"

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"Why, in MY day, you could just sit down at Pure Girl and the Nigerians would just come to you! Back then, they were cutting it with cat food and stale Oreos."

• Stevie Wonder
    Stevie Wonder wrote:

well i have been in china for 3years now and SLT is the first and so far the only place that i dislike in bj.am not afraid of the place and sometimes go there to get somethings done but i dislike the area alot and avoid it as much as i can.

• WeLiveInBeijingRess

i would beat the shit out of the guy if i were ur girl, sorry for being so aggressive

• Simen Wangberg

"Law & Order: Beijing"

"Hey, check out that guy selling fruit on the street."

"Let's beat him to death and take his fruit cart."

"...h'okay."

*end scene*

• Reply from Ajantha Manohar is flagged as not relevant.

• Patrick Coleman

sue the asshole!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.