Discussion » Current Events » What do you think about the Norway tragedy?

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:

I realize it's insensitive to comment on the politics of it so early, but when the bombing first happened, all conservative western media immediately blamed Muslims. Then, when it was found to be done by a white Christian Norwegian, the news turned to "perplexing." The guy is a right-wing fundamentalist Christian racist extremist. I was lucky enough to see the video he posted on YouTube (don't know if it's still there). He's convinced that Muslims are taking over Europe and that liberal Europeans (Norway's Labor Party, which he attacked, are slightly to the left) are allowing it.

His "manifesto" said liberalism and multiculturalism are destroying European Christian civilization and calls for a Christian war against the threat of Muslim domination.

Religious extremists of all kinds are evil and dangerous. When was the last time an act of terror was carried out by a moderate atheist?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

There were fuckwits in the Free Republic forums who were still talking about killin' muzzies even after it was revealed that the shooter was a Christian. Now it's a "false flag" operation meant to slander the "counterjihad".

I feel bad for European social democrats. They're caught in the crossfire between neoliberal cryptofascists, Islamofascists, and regular old racist fascists. There's a really long German word for the feeling I get when people talk about kicking the Muslims out of Europe not because they're destroying the Christian way of life, but because they're a threat to secular liberal democracy.

But I'm not so convinced that Breivik a fundamentalist, though. His expressed opinions are actually quite mainstream (by twisted American standards). At least, I don't think we are going to consider banning Kafka and Orwell and freemasonry and John Stewart Mill for inspiring this man's psychopathy.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Scott's words sound somewhat less frighteningly like appeasement, which wasn't at all successful in containing Hitler or Lord Voldemort.

Aaaand... I'm invoking Godwin's Law against myself.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

According to J.K. Rowling, the character of Cornelius Fudge was based on Neville Chamberlain: "My model of the world after Voldemort's return was, directly, the government of Neville Chamberlain in Great Britain during the Second World War, when he tried to minimize the menace of the Nazi regime for political convenience."

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

The Aesir were better gods than that Crucified Jew...  Europe should bury the cross and go back to her healthy paganism...

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Christian soft rock ?!?! .....

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"That's what you're arguing with me over..."

That... that was an argument? Is that what it felt like? Did you win?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Harry Potter? Dorky? Nah. 'Fraid not. Utterly mainstream.

Usenet slang is far dorkier. According to some interpretations of the Rules of the Internet, a comparison to Hitler or the Nazis would signal the end of the "argument".

On the other hand, I really do quite earnestly feel a bit tired of knee-jerk leftist pacifism, but this thread isn't the place to discuss my plans to start a left-wing survivalist militia if I ever go back to Michigan. To put the commune back into communism, so to speak.

Speaking of the Michigan Militia, in the other Norway thread from the weekend, someone made a really insightful observation that this is less like Norway's 9/11 and more like Norway's Oklahoma City bombing.

Thoughts?

• Kodi
    Kodi wrote:

that guy sucks

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.