Discussion » Nonsense » dreams

• Jimi
    Jimi wrote:
    <p>been having some real funky ones lately.....</p> <p>should probably adhere to what they are telling me.</p>
  • Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

i had a dream last , it seems like bring all the things that happend before together. like a movie,  inception, dreaming ,ddreaming , what is real.

• Ms. Stephanie
    Ms. Stephanie wrote:

春梦无垠~

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I used to always experience lucid dreaming (awareness that one is in a dream, sometimes with the ability to alter events within the dream), probably as an adaptation to the recurring nightmares I had when I was a wee tot. But I think I got bored of flying everywhere and fucking everything, such that I stopped recalling my dreams somewhat fortunately far before I started hitting the hallucinogens.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

There is a real good book about dreams, Forgotten language; an introduction to the understanding of dreams, fairy tales, and myths by Erich Fromm. Unfortunately, I couldn´t find a link to download it and paste it here :/

1) Is not a book about the meanings of symbols, becuase the symbols are different in each person. Each person has a different symbolic language. The dreamer is in the best position to interpret his own dreams.
    2) There are two kind of dreams: if you go to the bed starved, you will dream about food, not big deal... but there are other bizarre dreams, these have relation with the experience lived during the daytime: fears, suspicions, uncertainty, anxiety... that we reject to see them, but they come to us in a symbolic way when our conscience turns off during the sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

From this book, Chapter III

[...]  A dream which expresses moral judgment is that of a writer who had been offered a job in which he would earn a great deal more money than in his present position, but where he would also be forced to write things he did not believe in and to violate his personal integrity. Nevertheless, the offer was so tempting as far as money and prestige were concerned that he was not sure that he could reject it. He went through all the typical rationalizations that the most people in such a situation go through. He reasoned that, after all, he might see the situation too black and that the concessions he would have to make were of a minor nature. Futhermore, even if he could not write as he pleased, this condition would last only for a few years and then he would give up the job, and have so much money that he would be entirely independent and free to do the work that was meaninful to him. He thought of his friends and family relations and what he could do for them. In fact, he sometimes presented the problem to himself in such way that to accept the job seemed his moral obligation, while to refuse it would be an expression of a self-indulgent, egotistical attitude. Nevertheless, none of these rationalizations really satisfied him; he continued doubting and was not able to make up his mind until one night he had the following dream: 

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

[continued]

I was sitting in a car at the foot of a high mountain where a narrow and exceedingly steep road began which led to the top of the mountain. I was doubtful wheter I should drive up, since the road seemed very dangerous. But a man who stood near my car told me to drive up and not to be afraid. I listened to him and decided to follow his advice. I drove up, and the road got more and more dangerous. I could not stop, though, because there was no possibility of turning around. When I was near the top the motor stalled, the brakes would not work, the car rolled back and fell over a precipice! I woke up in terror.

One association must be reported for the full understanding of the dream. The dreamer said that the man who had encouraged him to drive up the mountain road was a former friend, a painter, who had ¨sold out¨, become a fashionable portrait painter, and made a lot of money, but who ar the same time had ceased to be creative. He knew that in spite of his success this friend was unhappy and suffered from the fact that he had betrayed himself. To understand the whole dream is not difficult. The steep mountain this man was to drive up is a symbolic expression of the successful career about whcih he has to make his choice. In his dream he knows that this path is dangerous. He is aware of the fact that if he accepts the offer he will do exactly the smae thing his friend has done, something for which he had despised his friend and because of which he had broken off their friendship. In the dream he is aware that this decision can only lead to his destruction. In the dream pciture the destruction is that of his physical self, symbolizing his intellectual and spiritual self that is in danger of being destroyed.

The dreamer in his sleep saw the ethical problem clearly and recognized that he had to choose between ´´ success´´ , on the one hand, and integrity and happiness, on the other. He recognized what his fate would be if he made the wrong decision. In his waking state he could not see the alternative clearly. He was so impressed by the ´´noise´´ that says that it is stupid not accpet the chance to have more money, power and prestige. He was so influenced by the voices that say it is childish and impractical to be ´´ idealistic´´ that he was caught in the many rationalizations one uses to drown out the voice of one´s conscience. This particular dreamer, being aware of the fact that we often know more in our dreams than in our waking state, was sufficiently starled by this dream that the fog in his mind lifted, he was able to see the alternative clearly and made the decision for his integrity and against the self destructive temptation. 

A dream which is not understood is like a letter which is not opened.

-Talmud-

• Simen Wangberg

“But I think I got bored of flying everywhere and fucking everything“

I don't...I don't understand. This is all I want to do every waking minute of every day.

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Do all dreams have meanings? When I was little, I always dreamt about UFO and some fairy things.

Now I rarely dream, and if I do, I always have the same dream many times, and it has nothing to do with my real life. I consider it's a signal of fading imagination:-(.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.