Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Staying in Beijing without knowing any Chinese

• Deck Mark
    Deck Mark wrote:

Hello everyone!!! I Just joined this forum and found it very interesting, so I am a newiee. I am staying in Beijing from last one month and still planning to stay here for 6 more months. I don't know anything in chinese language but still spent 3 months here, its unbelievable! I don't know many ppl here and don't have many friends here too, but I am still enjoying here. I see Chinese ppl everyday everywhere around me and see them all talking something with I never know :P

I am vegetarian and there are its always my department people help me to order food for me from last 3 month. 

What ppl here think about my life in here? It will be so nice if I can make some friends out here  ;)

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

You will find people who've lived here for 5 years and still can't even speak "survival" Chinese. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

• Jenny&King
    Jenny&King wrote:

hehe KULO is right.   haha money no need speak a word

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... one particular morning two years ago, my dark side woke up and spent 10 min on the phone with a local bank in English (I think it was CCB), and it did not get anywhere ... but it was fun :)

... and I know a lot of people in Australia who had lived quite well for more than 20 years without knowing how to speak English ...

... so, you will live merrily, provided you dont venture too much outside the "expected zone" such as tourist spots, Sanlitun, Foreign Language University, Sanlitun, McDonalds, Sanlitun ... just to name a few :)

By the way ... Astaroth ... have you got it all planned tomorrow?

• Saint - Spartacus

listen to the radio, watch tv etc. i've learn another language only with 6 month,  4h per week , but maybe coz i like talk with myself everyday ... ~ ~... . talk and ask  is the point

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ... story time ...

Once I met a Chinese girl in Sydney, who told me that she wanted to be fluent in English in three months, and oh, also, get married in three months ... I said good luck with both, and then I asked whether her friends are local or otherwise ... no prize for guessing the right answer ...

I myself also went through similar path, when I went from HK to Australia, I was luckier, because I was stuck in a school, and had no choice but to mix with the locals, which helped ...

... you know what you need to do, but you just need a bit more guts and thicker skin ... have fun :)

• Simen Wangberg

"I know that the best way is just to speak with chinese people (yayi, shifu, fuyuan), but i don't think i can hold more than 5 min conversation and don't feel comfortable with that at the moment."

Yeah. You need to force yourself to speak it and listen to it, every day. A lot. I'm not good at this at all, but I do it sometimes. Moving in with my girlfriend helped a lot. Although obviously you shouldn't be running around trying to find a girlfriend just so you can learn Chinese - I mean, I don't know, maybe you should.

Also: watch Chinese TV shows, even if you don't know what they're talking about. You'll pick up pronunciation. Try to learn some characters so you can check out the subtitles and see how they're pronouncing common words.

Along those lines, if you learn enough of the basic characters, watching foreign TV shows with Chinese subtitles can learn you a pile of grammatical stuff. I've learned a ton of grammar the last couple weeks from watching Breaking Bad with Chinese subtitles. It is awesome.

If you're gonna do flashcards, don't bother doing words - do whole sentences, it's way more effective and helpful. There is a computer program called Anki, you can search for "decks" of flashcards, and there are piles of Chinese ones. So you could check that out.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It is very easy to survive without knowing much Chinese at all, and you will find that whether you study or not, you will learn some, if only due to people's polite habits of stating the obvious. Chinese folks are extremely friendly and will gladly teach you a few words here and there if you just indicate that you are willing to learn; usually a simple "knee-how" will suffice.

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

it's 'Duo Shao Qian',don't get it wrong

• Yanni
    Yanni wrote:

i don't suggest you speaking bad chinese here,would easily get in trouble if the people don't know you,some simple chinese are helpful,good luck!

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.