Discussion » Current Events » Kid Killed by Beijing Zoo Subway Station Escalator

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:

I heard about this yesterday from a Chinese friend, and it looks like The Guardian was among the first foreign media to pick it up:

A teenage boy has been killed and dozens of people were injured when they were thrown off an escalator that suddenly changed direction in a busy Beijing subway station.

Witnesses described a strange grinding noise from the shifting gears and then a tumult in which riders at the top of the escalator fell to the bottom in less than two seconds.

The boy and the other riders were thrown down the metal stairs and into a heap at the bottom. Twenty-eight people were taken to hospital, including the dead boy's father and sister. Two were described as being in a serious condition.

Commuters were horrified at the safety failure. "This is unbelievable. This is the most basic thing and they can't even do it well. I am very disappointed by Beijing's public transportation system," said Olivia Li, a student at Renmin University who often takes Line 4.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/05/teenager-killed-escalator-accident

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Helen ... you meant the box-typed "elevator" not the long-stairs elevator, right?

Jorrit ... with the recent revelations of sub-standard food quality, such as additives, milk, etc ... it is possible that the requirement of elevator maintenance in China, of for subway line 4, is below standard ...

... but then, as Scott said, such news is never heard for the old line 2 (or 1 or 13), so, it is perhaps specific to line 4 ..

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Escalators cause enough eggache as it is. On top of an irrational fear of getting stuck between the teeth and skinned alive, now we gotta worry that the motherfuckers are just cold kicking into reverse? What the fuck is this shit?

At Beijing's escalators aren't as big as the ones in Hong Kong. That would have been messy.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... being the only one in the household with a brain, my wife mentioned that there actually had been a few incidents with line 4 ... if this, or similar, had happened even only once in any major city in USA, or HK or Tokyo, someone would have been made responsible, perhaps even resign if this is indeed Japan ...

... but the cold-blooded saying is that "life is cheap" in China ...

... OTIS should be made responsible, so is the subway company ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think you're a little confused about the difference between an apologist and someone who is apologetic in the context of an anti-war argument, @Cap'n. As for the rest of what you have to say, I'm afraid my mental detector can't quite parse the irony from the earnest stupidity.

Also, how come when sandy twats solicit my opinion with reference to shit I have done in the past or said in other threads, it's always completely out of context, without a hyperlink, and utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand? I don't know a fucking thing about Chinese civil law, but I do know you can't hire an American lawyer to sue an American company for something that happened outside of America.

I'm not seeing the China Threat angle here, boys. Spell it out for me, please. I'm a little slow today.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... no, Dando, apparently, you can ... previously, there was a sue (in USA) against GE for engine failure of the plane disaster (which happened in China), initiated by families (in China) of the victims ... I do not know about the details, but I think it was settled out of court ...

Scott ... that spokesperson said something, but the truth of it could be questionable ... and it is always easier to blame someone else, or put the pressure on someone else ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Perhaps so, but there you're talking about a Chinese family with enough wealth for plane travel. Here, we're talking about people who use Beijing public transit. How would the plaintiffs present evidence?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... that, plus the fact that, based on China's standard, like I said above, "life is cheap" in China, so whether they know their rights or not, or whether they go ahead with the legal, it is likely to be settled out of court with an amount less than the cost of the escalator ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

When I said "you're talking about a Chinese family with enough wealth for plane travel" I wasn't talking about the plaintiff's ability to physically attend a court hearing in the US, I was referring to the fact that DD's example involved a plane crash. The plaintiffs were probably comparatively wealthy. Here we're talking about subway commuters.

America has a civil law system. So does China. Many civil cases here are settled out of court as well. I still don't see what your specific point is in comparing legal systems, or why you would solicit my opinion on the matter.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... perhaps off topic, but, Dando, you could have made it a bit clearer sometimes, as I notice you often have to repeat many times, saying things like "no, I was not talking to you, cant you read" ... many people are very sensitive :)

It should really not be a huge surprise to anyone that the general public in China dont know their rights, or never thought they would have rights, and this is NOT about China, but about Chinese ...

... decades ago, HK folks were REALLY afraid of law suit against large corps, or even a visit at the local police station due to theft or other little matters ... the Chinese saying is: 生,不入官门,死,不入地狱!

... and it is not about whether they have the money ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Evan 爱文 ... according to this piece of news from BTV, the escalator suddenly changed direction, and changed again ... by the way, this female anchor of BTV is really sexy :)

... this one below, was not seen on TV or news, seemed to be done by mobile?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... it is still questionable whether these people know that they can, and then how much time and money can they afford ...

• N-Die 北京的法国人

Poor little boy...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.