Discussion » Chinese Language & Culture » Family Allowance!家用!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)
    叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹) wrote:

。。。

Hahahaha ... I cannot think of  better term for this in English at the moment, so if anyone knows of the appropriate term, please let me know ...

I was just wondering ... does anyone of you support (or subsidise) your parents?

When I first started work, if I remember correctly, 30% of my pay went to my mother, and then when I changed job and got paid more, the amount increased slightly or maybe not, though, heehee, the percentage dropped a little, but the "payment" did not stop much even till now, except for those periods of time when I was unemployed, and those couple of years I was living alone in Sydney ...

So, would you consider "subsidising" your parents, even if they might not need it, or might not have asked you to do so? ... just as a token of your love for them, or otherwise ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Subsidising, or allocating a certain funds to parents isn't wrong. It depends on how you would want to help them. Some parents don't want to bother their kids as they know the wold in which their kids are living got a bad economy, these parents understand.

Helping them once in a while, isn't bad either.

What I can say here is, no matter how much financial help to our parents can be, it cannot equate more sacrifices they have made for us to be where we are at this point.

High Priest

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

It might be hard to find the right translation since it's a cultural thing. I'll just go with pocket-money, or red-envelope in my case: I only give money to my parents during Spring Festival. 我总是说:老太太,给你压岁钱。lol

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea to use money as a token of love, especially for parents who can support themselves. Your visit or you daily call is more meaningful for them; For parents who have financial difficulty, you should support them, and money is not the only way to support them. So I don't like "subsiding parents", it feels like repaying a debt.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Priest ... did you even read what I said? Who said anything that it is wrong?

And, no, it is NOT about "helping once in a while", I mean it as a long term thing ... read again and then edit what you said ... if you cannot do that, delete what you said ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Mengmeng ... heehee .. being that I am MANY MANY MANY kilometers away from my mother, the only few things I can do, is to call her once a week, and to pay her a little "pocket money" every month ... and I can assure you that my mother does not have any financial difficulty, or need this money, due to a very generous Australian government welfare system :)

... Ayiela ... nothing to do with law either ...

• Rick (史大龙)

haha, wow! Now I've finally heard the term for it "subsidizing my parents". To answer you, no.

I have tried for years to give money to my parents and they refuse to take it, telling me that it is my money that I've earned and that they don't want it. I guess I am lucky for now. Besides in the US most parents give money to their kids not the other way around... 

I find ways around it by buying them things they need such as a car or household items, but even then they put up a fight!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Although we don't do it so much anymore in the West, subsidizing parents certainly isn't unique to Chinese culture. I'd just like to point that out, just to deflate the pretensions of mainlanders who might think that filial piety is some peculiar trait of the Confucian ideal and therefore one of the shining exemplary beacons of Han cultural supremacy meant to guide us into a new tomorrow.

It was widespread during the early 20th century before pensions and social welfare programs were established.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Rick ... long time :)

Dando ... noted :)

Archie ... I cant comment on mainland's welfare system, but I know as a fact that my wife pays a certain amount to her parents every month ... I myself am more to do with the western welfare system :)

... and if you are in China, or are in touch with what's happening in China, the latest "trend" is that many parents in China are "supporting" their kids who are already adults and perhaps even working ...

Ayiela ... but it would be interesting when such law is written and enforced ... and if I remember correctly, Singapore is doing something like that already?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... the "pay back" part is based on the assumption that the kids would do better, and well enough to afford it ... and in some cases, it could be very unrealistic esp with the common family structure of 4-2-1 which means that most effort will be focused on the youngest one in the family ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.