Discussion » Beijing Life » question from a chinese guy !!!

• Sonic_zf
    Sonic_zf wrote:

everybody want to do the favourate thing,but we have to earn money for familly ,for child,for parents,and so on .

i feel the conditions(i mean the psychology) of asian life is more hard than most western.they  have more worry. they can't help but to think too much ,too far.

maybe the social security is on reason . i want to know  whether  western friends really can own the real freedom . they can choice to  work or don't work  enven if they just have some money for a year living .  the main income is come from the husband in a western famil? if  a husband want to stay at home (his wife can afford the family),other people or himself will feel it's abnormal?

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... that reminds me of an old Cantonese song ... anyway ...

Sonic ... I think, in a way, it comes down to what is considered acceptable by the society ... and whether the couple in question can deal with the "pressure", in the case when the wife makes more than the husband, or perhaps the husband does not work and stays at home, whether it be by choice or otherwise ...

** leaving office now, more later, sorry **

• Fabian Kollen
    Fabian Kollen wrote:

主要因为是两个原因:1. 人口数量。2. 经济发展阶段和水平。

另:他们并不像你想象的那样,他们有他们的问题和麻烦。

• Simen Wangberg

Chinese dudes face a lot of pressure. From family, from colleagues/bosses, from their girlfriends/wives/familes of their girlfriends and/or wives, from society at large. American dudes do, too - just in different ways.

Not even gonna get into it though. Ya know why? Cos there's a simple credo - a slogan - a way of looking at life that will get you through all of that superficial bullshit. Don't even matter where you're from.

What is it, you ask?

"Do whatever, man."

And that's real.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

They're the same pressures. They just manifest differently.

I reject the individualist West vs. collectivist Orient dichotomy. I think it's a foolish assumption that leads to many false conclusions. While there is some truth to the observation that Westerners are more likely to complain when they feel their rights have been violated, such observations are quite limited. In actual social practice, it means that Westerners are expected to pay more attention to one another's rights and boundaries. There is are expectations of conscientiousness that must be maintained in Western culture which simply would not be practical in most of Asia because of population density issues.

Foucalt's panopticon comes to mind.

What's more is that even those Westerners who are free to do whatever, man are not entirely rejecting the concept of 面子. Actually, playing facelessness is just a kind of mask. They're actually pretending not to care what other people think in order to enhance their status, prestige, and reputation in other ways, or with different audiences. It's not just an individualist attitude; courage, honesty, straightforwardness are valued highly in any culture.

On one hand, Westerners must be very careful not to trespass on other people's rights, but then they're also expected to act like they're doing this in a naturally cool manner without actually thinking about it.

And don't even get me started on the additional pressures imposed by religion.

• Simen Wangberg

"population density issues."

China so many people! :-/

"I reject the individualist West vs. collectivist Orient dichotomy."

Yeah this is basically what I meant to say. Rock whatever, do.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.