Discussion » Health & Fitness » Depression in Women

• A.w
    A.w wrote:

Depression is a serious condition that can impact every area of your life.  Depression in women is very common. In fact, women are twice as likely to develop clinical depression as men.  Women are more likely than men to attempt suicide as a result of depression, however men are more successful in their suicidal attempts than women. Seventy percent of suicide attempts by women are by overdose or similar methods, while men more often choose a more violent method, such as a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

If you’re feeling sad, guilty, tired, and just generally “down in the dumps,” you may be suffering from major depression.

Symptoms of depression in women include:

• Depressed mood, persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” mood
    • Restlessness, irritability, or excessive crying
    • Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy
    • Feelings of guilt, hopelessness and worthlessness
    • Suicidal thoughts or recurrent thoughts of death
    • Sleep disturbance (sleeping more or sleeping less)
    • Appetite and weight changes
    • Difficulty concentrating
    • Lack of energy and fatigue

Lifestyle changes that can treat depression:

• Exercise. Regular exercise is a powerful depression fighter.
    • Nutrition. Eating well is important for both your physical and mental health.
    • Sleep. Sleep has a strong effect on mood. When you don’t get enough sleep, your depression symptoms will be worse.
    • Social Support. Strong social networks reduce isolation, a key risk factor for depression.
    • Stress Reduction. Make changes in your life to help manage and reduce stress.
    • Avoid drinking alcohol or using any illicit substances.

If you suspect that you may be depressed, and lifestyle changes haven’t worked, make an appointment to see a doctor for a thorough checkup. If your depression is the result of medical causes(such as birth control, hormone replacement therapy and thyroid disease. ), therapy and antidepressants will do little to help.

Depression treatment tips:

• Learn as much as you can about your depression.
    • It takes time to find the right treatment.
    • Don’t rely on medications alone.
    • Get social support.
    • Treatment takes time and commitment.

The good news is that depression is treatable. However, only one-third of depressed people ever seek treatment.

就医处:北京安定医院抑郁治疗中心

• Stian Moe
    Stian Moe wrote:

I've just found out that i am not suffering from depression, pffff what a relief!!! but it was good an intereting to read it though, thanks Ami

=)

• K5-35
    K5-35 wrote:

Ami, nice to see your thread again. It is a very significant topic. Actually China is the only country where women who committed suicide outnumbered that of men. 

The recent medical journals suggest that safe sex and yoga can be alternative therapy for depression. 

People with insomnia should see the doctors before it turns into anything worse. Try not to use sleeping pills. 

P. S. as a part-time student of forensic medicines at university, I can tell you that overdose is a very painful way to die unless you can get sodium barbiturate  

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

no risk for me, i passed the magic 27 already ;-)

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Pete, So be a man already.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.