Discussion » Employment Opportunities » looking for foreign english teacher

• A.D Kim
    A.D Kim wrote:
    <div> <p>Job&nbsp;Title:&nbsp;English&nbsp;Teacher&nbsp;<br /><br />Job&nbsp;Description:&nbsp;<br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Mainly&nbsp;teaching&nbsp;adults&nbsp;business&nbsp;</span>English,&nbsp;oral&nbsp;English,&nbsp;etc.&nbsp;from&nbsp;18&nbsp;to&nbsp;35&nbsp;year-old&nbsp;(depend&nbsp;on&nbsp;individual's&nbsp;ability&nbsp;and&nbsp;suitability).&nbsp;<br /><br />Job&nbsp;Qualification:&nbsp;<br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Native&nbsp;English&nbsp;speaker,&nbsp;American&nbsp;,British,Canadian,&nbsp;or&nbsp;New&nbsp;Zealand&nbsp;preferred;&nbsp;</span><br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Bachelor's&nbsp;degree&nbsp;or&nbsp;above.&nbsp;TEFL,&nbsp;ESL,&nbsp;TESOL&nbsp;certificate&nbsp;holder&nbsp;is&nbsp;desirable.&nbsp;</span><br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">The&nbsp;candidate&nbsp;should&nbsp;have&nbsp;at&nbsp;least&nbsp;two&nbsp;years&nbsp;teaching&nbsp;experience,&nbsp;teaching&nbsp;</span><br />experience&nbsp;in&nbsp;corporate&nbsp;training&nbsp;and&nbsp;business&nbsp;background&nbsp;preferred.&nbsp;<br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">The&nbsp;candidate&nbsp;should&nbsp;love&nbsp;teaching&nbsp;work,&nbsp;be&nbsp;responsible&nbsp;for&nbsp;and&nbsp;be&nbsp;patient&nbsp;with&nbsp;</span><br />students,&nbsp;be&nbsp;willing&nbsp;to&nbsp;cooperate&nbsp;with&nbsp;colleagues&nbsp;with&nbsp;good&nbsp;teamwork&nbsp;spirit.&nbsp;<br />&middot;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Able&nbsp;to&nbsp;prepare&nbsp;own&nbsp;teaching&nbsp;materials.&nbsp;</span><br />&middot;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Full-time&nbsp;or&nbsp;Part-time(on&nbsp;night&nbsp;time&nbsp;and/or&nbsp;weekend)&nbsp;.&nbsp;</span><br /><br />Welfare&nbsp;benefits:&nbsp;<br />&middot;&nbsp;<span style="font-family: Calibri;">Negotiable&nbsp;salary&nbsp;based&nbsp;on&nbsp;individual's&nbsp;quality&nbsp;and&nbsp;ability&nbsp;</span><br />if&nbsp;you&nbsp;are&nbsp;interested&nbsp;in&nbsp;this&nbsp;position,&nbsp;send&nbsp;your&nbsp;resume,&nbsp;scanning&nbsp;documents&nbsp;of&nbsp;<br />teacher's&nbsp;certificate,&nbsp;photo&nbsp;,passport,&nbsp;Degree&nbsp;Certificate&nbsp;to:seetonedu&
  • A.D Kim
  • くり
    くり wrote:

no Australian this round???...

• A.D Kim
    A.D Kim wrote:

no~if you can teach well. we welcome you!!

• くり
    くり wrote:

australians english is hard to understand...sorry Master Lee

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it. The demand will always exceed the supply, because Chinese people are loathe to actually use foreign languages instead of just studying them. For fuck's sake if y'all actually gave a shit about learning languages for anything other than purely materialistic economic reasons, you would start language clubs and teach one another for free.

But you don't, so we won't.

I'm not teaching anymore, but I did it for a long time and struggled with a lot of guilt for making more money than what I thought I deserved. But then I realized, if my students actually had good reasons for learning English, they wouldn't need me.

They'd read a novel or watch a classic movie.

But students and parents are so arrogant! They feel like they have nothing to learn from decadent Western culture, as if you can ever be proficient in a language without an understanding its culture. They come to us saying they want to learn and they tell us what they want us to teach them, regardless of what we know they ought to learn.

Why? Because Chinese people believe only failures come to China to teach language. But what does that say about China that it's so attractive to failures?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

@Nymphetamine, You missed the point.

"not all chinese people pay attention to western culture"

This is why they suck. Culture and language are intertwined. You can't skip the cultural lessons and expect to be proficient in a language.

Chinese folks who actually have a passion for learning languages will do so naturally.

Those who only learn it to pass their IELTS/TOEFL, get a promotion, or other materialistic reasons will continue to pay ridiculous sums of money to bullshit training centers.

• Micky
    Micky wrote:

I think some Chinese people have been grossly manipulated by ignorance thinking and believing that only black race has accent.  Their love for copying everything from America will one day er, em, hnmm them. That’s the reason most of the girls from wlib is looking for American guys

I really do not understand how a Chinese will believe that s/he will stay in china and speak American or British accent I don’t even know whom they’re going to speak the accent with.

I asked one lady if she needs American accent to do business in Guangzhou or India.  One other lady told me that she only understands American accent. I asked her which state in US have you visited. She said none, I said how then do you understand American accent? She kept quiet. They think only four countries America, Britian, Canada, or New Zealand is native English speaking country.

Time will tell

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Am on board with Micky

I wonder after learning English from a pure American with an american accent, then your company sends you to India for work or sends you to Soudan for work, are you gonna use American accent there?

High Priest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... "Chinese person will ALWAYS have a Chinese accent when speaking English" ...

... that might explain why I have had doubt whether my ancestor is Chinese ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Lao Lee, It seems Chinese people show the same regard for Australia as any other nation in the southern hemisphere from which they extract resources. Or rather, since your last head of state spoke Mandarin, they regard you as Chinese already.

Don't you know which side of the bread is marmite'd? Y'all shall be the first to kowtow to our new commufucian overlords.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

Teacher !! teacher!!!! I know the answer!!!!  DD is from ........  :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... ans: Hong Kong :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... Godfather ... you are sounding more like the Priest ... just a strange observation ...

With the accent thing, it comes more from the usage ... some of my friends and cousins went to Australia when they were just kids (pre teen), and being "soaked" in the environment everyday, they had lost the Hong Kong (or Chinese) accent and picked up fluent Oz accent ...

Back in 94, before I was about to leave Hong Kong, I played touor guide for a family friend, a Japanese kid who has spent a few years in LA, and when he talked to his friend on the phone, there is not a hint of Japanese accent ...

... it is about the "soaking" ... so to speak ...

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

You're never going to lose the accent unless you live in an English-speaking country for 20 years

It depends. Living in an English speaking country while using chines day by day, how would someone speak like a native?

I've got a Chines friend of mine, he spent 10 years in the US as a student and worked there, when he speaks English, unless you see him for you to detect that he is a CHinese. It's because he is more outgoing, he was spending much of his time with non chinese fellows.

High Priest

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

@GF, Don´t worry, the important things have grown up enough ;P 

• くり
    くり wrote:

well, i met some chinese girls with a very strong british accent, and others with usa-ed,and anyhow sounds funny, so i strongli disagree that is that impossible to get rid of ur native accent. But for Buddha sake, why the hell would u try to copy other people accent? And besides, i doubt that there s another language that is so contaminated, mixed, as it is modern english, from french,german,spanish and even italian...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... 农民 ... it is perhaps a peer thing ... like watching Big Bang Theory, or Sex in the City ...

• くり
    くり wrote:

perhaps。。。。perhaps。。。。haha

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... hahahaaha ... Godfather ... as I said, and you wrote "I think you've grown up. I have unblocked you", that sounded like the Priest ... it was just an observation, nothing to think about :)

• Brendon Kaci
    Brendon Kaci wrote:

I don't want to teach English because I suck on teaching.

I heard in China to teach is an easy and quick way to make money though.

• くり
    くり wrote:

basically you just have to chat in ur mothertongue, and the pay can be up to 200rmb an hour...

• Brendon Kaci
    Brendon Kaci wrote:

So I've been told.

Can't believe it's called "teaching", can't believe people there buy it.

• くり
    くり wrote:

yeah, thats why somepeople even wrtite books about the Chinese Dream....patetic...but the chinese are happy cause they got the white ass teacher,the foreigners feels themselves like king while locals earn something like 150 rmb for the same job...

• Brendon Kaci
    Brendon Kaci wrote:

Should we call this also "distinct Chinese characteristics"?

I was engrafted this quite often last time I was in China.

• くり
    くり wrote:

i think so, we should call it like that, for sure.

• Petter Meisfjordskar

BACHELORS DEGREE? I WONDER WHY PEOPLE STILL POST SUCH TRASH. ANYONE SO LONG AS YOU ARE A NATIVE SPEAKER CAN TEACH ENGLISH HERE. YOU ASK FOR A DEGREE CERTIFICATE WHEN YOU DO NOT HAVE ONE YOURSELF? GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

American accents are more consistent, but only because radio was catching on during some critical phases of mass immigration to the New World. There is a far higher proportion of people with a neutral Midwestern or Californian accent than that of people in the UK who use Received Pronunciation.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

DD and GF, what's wrong witth HP?

I encourage anyone to do anything as a Job, but stealing and cheating. For most of laowai who have not got any degree, please get admission even in China UNI and get a paper.

High Priest

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...hahahaha ... and many still thinks that Indian accent is difficult ...

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.