Discussion » Beijing Life » Is there any Gothic Bar in BJ?

• Sammi
    Sammi wrote:
    <p>Does anyone know any Gothic bar in BJ? Good music and dress code applied?</p> <p>Been too many vanilla bars here dying for a change of taste. Thanks!</p>
  • Simen Wangberg
  • Simen Wangberg

YES.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

Not as far as I'm aware. There is a metal scene in Beijing which I suppose is the closest you'll come, and you do get the occasional gothic band touring here (Deine Lakaien were here a few years ago) but I don't think it's at all common. 

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

I don't think so either. Till I left BJ in 2009, it had no such bars, and I havent got any updates on this in the past 2 yrs.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

Start with a gothic night at the popular pubs, Sammi you'd be the pionieer :)

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

I actually think a successful gothic bar would be easier to set up than a gothic club night. There is a chain of bars in the UK that are decorated in a gothic style and was frequented by goths and regular people alike. The one in my university city was called The Pit and the Pendulum (Nottingham, google it!) , and was a bar complete with skeletons, high-wooden chairs and a fake-bookcase hiding the entrance to the toilets. 

Having said all that, it is a little surprising that a city as a big as Beijing hasn't got a goth night yet. 

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

I do.

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

A night is a test, a try, an experiment, a promotion:)

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

@Sammi, 

For a gothic bar, totally. I think a gothic bar in Beijing could fit nicely between appealing to the emerging subcultures (rock,metal, goth, fetish) whilst also offering a novelty place for people to go for a quiet or interesting drink/meal. 

For a gothic club, I'm sure one of the clubs in Wudoakou could trial this. The problem with goth clubs though is that the music is a little bit inaccessible: gothic rock is fairly monotonous to dance to whilst EBM and Industrial often alienate the rest of the Rockers and Metallers who associate it too much with dance music. 

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

(And a club night full of recognisable industrial music might as well just be a regular Rock Night) 

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

You invest and I'll implement ;)

This way seems a better plan than my previous 'Find a rich woman to buy me a house' goal.  

• Ataahua
    Ataahua wrote:

I dont understand why this bar idea can not be made into a night in the exact same way, to me, a night is easier for some single person to try it without much effort.

Everything's gonna be Gothic, or else calling it a Gothic night?

If I were in BJ, I'd try and ask you guys in....now we'll just wait for the ones who're willing and capable to do the bar thing to show up

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

@Ataahua, 

A goth night would require a venue, and the venue would be a tool for the goth night to use. A lot of goth nights that start off with a small base of customers rely on this method and they end up in trendy bars that really only care about bringing in more money. In this example, you're selling the concept of a goth night and once you've lost the novelty after the second or third event, it's difficult to really work with a concept as fractured and conflicted as goth: for example, in the UK goth scene, a lot of people that listen to trad goth hate cyber goth music. A lot of people that like Cyber Goth music think industrial music belongs with metal nights and rock nights. Industrial people pretend they like cyber goth music but complain when things get too bleepy. 

With a goth bar, you're selling the experience of being in a dark, gothic venue, which sometimes is going to hold club nights. It covers more bases and you can also market it to people that would never, ever, be caught dead (ha!) in a goth club night. I think this would be a more successful proposition, whereas a goth night would require a lot of diligence and back-breaking work to establish. 

• Brendon Kaci
    Brendon Kaci wrote:

A friend's friend of mine tried once, failed because well, I'd leave that to let you guys figure cuz I don't wanna Chinese think I have discrimination about them. I know the situation has changed, but I think Ataahua's idea is more feasible.

• Daniel
    Daniel wrote:

@Sammi, 

I'm probably quite similar to you: I was never a regular on the goth scene in the UK but I did go to a lot of club nights over the years and saw a few live acts, and they are by far my favourite nights out. 

I think if you were really into the idea of growing the goth community in Beijing and didn't have the bundles of cash you'd need to establish a bar (I know there have been various attempts in the past decade, but I don't think anything has come of it), you could look into setting up a goth night in one of the Wudaokou bars and going from there.

@Brendon, 

Definitely agree that Ataahua's idea is the most feasible (sorry Ataahua! That wasn't immediately apparent in my previous post!) , considering the huge start-up costs that opening a goth-bar would involve. I'm just fairly sure it'd be pretty hard to get going with only a goth night. 

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.