Discussion » Current Events » "Born in the USA" Frenzy

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:
    <p>From TIME Magazine Article <a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110614/wl_time/08599207769300;_ylt=Asi8x3clDhDHRXbLy7avo69vaA8F;_ylu=X3oDMTJtbHNjZWk2BGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMTA2MTQvMDg1OTkyMDc3NjkzMDAEcG9zAzMxBHNlYwN5bl9hcnRpY2xlX3N1bW1hcnlfbGlzdARzbGsDY2hpbmEzOXNxdW90">here</a>.</p> <p>More and more Chinese women are choosing to fly to USA when 6 months pregnant, so their child can be born an American citizen. Unlicensed, discreet Chinese birthing centers are popping up all over California to cater to these soon-to-be mothers.</p> <p>From article:<em><br />An increasing number of expectant middle-class parents also fancy giving their children passports that they can feel proud of. "The return on investment is higher than robbing a bank," the consultancy agent tells women such as Liu. When Chinese children are born in America, they automatically become U.S. citizens. Once they reach 21, their parents will be able to apply for green cards and emigrate.</em></p> <p>Apparently, these mothers return to China after giving birth...</p> <p>Ladies... Would you ever consider doing something like this? Are these women crazy or what?</p>
  • Simen Wangberg

cos I was

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

The only crazy thing here, is the visa matter. People just play according the stupid rules trying to get benefit.  

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... about a year ago, I found a article in China Daily about this ...

Q: had these parents think about the consequences, such as the trouble and cost to renew visas for a baby? The education cost because the kid is non Chinese?

• Martin Svean
    Martin Svean wrote:

my passport is for sale.. but not cheap :P

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... took me a while, but I finally found the two articles from CD ...

Betting on the US could backfire on greedy parents

By Earle Gale (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-07-07 08:07

"I'm Chinese, but as far as the authorities are concerned, I'm a Canadian living in China and I have to keep leaving and renewing my visa," she complained. "I think it was a big mistake to give it up in the first place."

I wonder how many of these children of Chinese parents being born in the US will thank their mother and father for their citizenship in the years to come, when they have to keep leaving China to renew their papers because they are considered foreigners in their own country - all for the sake of gaining access to an education system that may well lag behind China's 20 years from now.

Parents deliver US citizenship

By Shan Juan (China Daily)
    Updated: 2010-07-03 07:54

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"and we pay the price for it with a lower standard of living for everyone."

Americans would be filthy and starving if it weren't for those illegal immigrants, @Scott. Be thankful that it's impossible for American agricultural workers to assert collective bargaining rights without tipping off the INS. Cheap illegal immigrant labor keeps the US economy afloat.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Actually I think you're better off checking out the situation in places like Immokalee Florida to see how American businesses take advantage of the situation, @Scott. And I resent being called a liberal; I'm a radical.

I'm not saying that I think the borders should be opened and all those here illegally should be given amnesty. But you need to recognize that the whole of America does in fact benefit from the exploitation of immigrant labor.

Your state was "purchased" from Mexico at gunpoint. Cry me a fucking river, gringo. Dry your tears with what's left of the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I'm gonna do what I always do: HEY HEY HEY HEY ARGUE ON THE INTERNET ERRYDAY

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

For starters, I support extending collective bargaining privileges to anyone who's paying taxes--and those dirty fucking spicks are paying more in taxes than General fucking Electric.

As it stands, U.S. agricultural workers are exempted from the protections offered by many federal labor laws. That exception was originally put into place early in the 20th century to protect farmers. But there are no American farmers anymore. Agribusinesses still take advantage of this while sucking at the government's swollen and bulbous subsidy-teats. All this while using obedient illegal immigrant wage slaves.

I'm not too sure what to make of your China comments. Stop conflating other nations' peoples with other nations' ruling elites, dude. Not all governments are by the people, for the people, y'know?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

All of them built castles? Seriously, Scott? Hurray for development journalism.

What do you mean fairly import labor? You mean allowing like allowing people to cross national borders to meet labor demands in other areas?

'Cuz I was thinking more along the lines of just extending federal minimum wage laws to apply to farm workers, so perhaps American citizens might be able to do those jobs again. But hey, post-national anarchy sounds nice, too.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

If not all, then what? Many? Some? One or fucking two? So the descendents of some snakeheads who helped swindle their countrymen into hopping on a boat to 'Murrikah own fucking yachts in Hong Kong. Sounds like it's even-steven to me. Look at these pretty photos of the mansions! Bling bling, chinamen! You're on top of the world now!

And that begs the question: So how is that any different from any other time in history when a limited number of Chinese people have gotten rich from the work of many Chinese people through collusion with Westerners?

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.