Discussion » Current Events » London "Slut Walk"

• Skaught
    Skaught wrote:
    <p><em>LONDON (AFP) &ndash; Thousands of women took part in a so-called Slut Walk in London on Saturday, insisting that they should be able to wear as much or as little as they like without facing sexual harassment by men.</em></p> <p><em>The colourful march saw most people wearing everyday clothing but some wore provocative outfits as they marched on London's central Trafalgar Square.</em></p> <p><em>Slut Walk was first held in Toronto earlier this year after a police officer caused outrage by stating that "women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised" during a speech to university students.</em></p> <p><em>The protest soon spread to cities around the world where women joined in huge numbers to challenge the mindset that victims of sexual assault should bear a degree of responsibility on the grounds that they were "asking for it".</em></p> <p><em>The London march kicked off behind a banner reading "Slut Walk London: because we've had enough".</em></p> <p>Here's the whole article: <a href="http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110611/wl_uk_afp/britainprotestwomensex">http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110611/wl_uk_afp/britainprotestwomensex</a></p> <p>Can't wait until this happens in Beijing!!!</p>
  • Simen Wangberg

None of Beijing's sluts are proud enough to participate in such an activity, I'm fairly certain.

"I'm a traditional Chinese girl" - of course you are. That's why you're hanging out in a bar, right?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

The way someone dresses gives a message. Nowadays people sometime don't understand this. People should avoid waking up sleeping cats.

High Priest

• Simen Wangberg

"The way someone dresses gives a message."

The way you dress is making me want to rape you RIGHT NOW. NOW

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Sounds like 3rd wave feminist version of Take Back the Night, the sort of thing that would appeal to fans of the Vagina Monologues. Good stuff.

I wholly support women dressing as provocatively as they want, and I'll treat them just the same if not a little more respectfully, because doing so requires considerable courage.

Perhaps dressing sexually does communicate that a woman is comfortable with her body and her sexuality, but it certainly does not communicate that a woman wants to have sex with whoever's watching.

The victim-blaming mentality of conservative people is what makes rape culture so perniciously difficult to confront. Women who are victimized are afraid to come forward because of motherfucking idiots who think that dressing provocatively is an invitation to rape.

And I concur to a point, @Mike. Wearing the virtual vestments of a clergyman sends an altogether different kind of message--that you like to bugger young boys.

Then again, the real Desmond Tutu is an Anglican, not a Roman Catholic. Not that Papa Purile would care about such distinctions.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Or maybe he could just take it in stride that his girlfriend can turn heads.

• Simen Wangberg

Dressing provocatively doesn't cause rape.

Being drunk doesn't cause rape.

Flirting doesn't cause rape.

What does cause rape, you ask?

RAAAAAAAPISTS.

Paraphrased from one of the signs on display at the Slut Walk.

"Or maybe he could just take it in stride that his girlfriend can turn heads."

Yeaaaahhhh. I mean, if you see that your significant other is dressing provocatively for a night out, then it's probably pretty obvious that people will be provoked.So why be a dick about it?

I guess I'm a bit less protective of my girlfriend than most guys are, but personally, I like it when I see dudes checking her out. It's just another confirmation that I have exquisite taste in pretty much everything.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Oh boy! There have been even a memo! he he, so how are you still tempted to read about HP? U have much stuff u could do than reading from the priest and talking about HP!

I as a HP, I don't advice or support rape. What I suggested is purely a preventive measure. And I'm just calling for modesty in dressing to avoid and protect ladies from being targeted by sexual predators like those upstaires.

Stop spreading immorality around. Crucifying HP for his own view without a deep understanding is baseless.

High Priest

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I think we have a deep enough knowledge of your shallow misogyny, HP. You think rape is caused by women dressing provocatively. We say rapists, and a culturally universal acceptance of your victim-blaming condemnations is what causes rape. Crack open a book on feminism before you refer to yourself as "women's advocate" again, you disgusting chauvanist swine.

Ronald, you are pissing in an ocean of piss.

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

What's wrong with suggesting decency in dressing? Give ur own view than just throwing shit on HP. But as long as u get ur cash for that, keep on going.

I still advocating modesty in dressing.

High Priest_Women Advocate

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.