Discussion » Current Events » Will the future see fewer girls? Radiation may res

• Liz
    Liz wrote:

I've read this in Mobile Newspaper few weeks ago and accidentally found it out in the internet. 

Source: http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/06/07/will-the-future-see-fewer-girls-radiation-may-result-in-millions-of-fewer-female-babies/

We may see a great big baby boom of the boy variety soon.

According to a new study there may well be millions of fewer girls born in the world,  something that could significantly change the gender balance in Japan and the Western part of the United States. So why is this happening? Radiation.

Scientists deduced in a recent study that due to nuclear radiation from power plant leaks and bomb testing as well as big nuclear accidents is having a big impact  on the gender of future births.

The trend actually appeared to begin back in 1960s when atomic testing started and the radiation spread thought the air all over the world, but in lower quantities. The second big spike was after Chernobyl and in the surrounding area saw far more boys than girls being born.

And now in the wake of the nuclear power plant disasters in Japan, the United States may be affected. One of the scientists said of the newest radiation issue that, “maybe it’s confined to just Japan, but if it gets in the water and the air, it’s possible that we could see a similar effect, especially on the West Coast of America.”

So why does this happen in the first place? Apparently radiation has a tendency to damage to the X chromosome in sperm, which would effect the birth rates of girls, producing more boys.

Hopefully this is all just speculation and that the balance won’t go off kilter.

Maybe this will result in more gays? Or even more bachelors... What worries me mostly: In olden times, redundant young men were sent into monastries or to war. There are no more that many monastries today...

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

This is sad if what's said is true. It reminds me of some studies in botany that proved that less stress can indefinitely determine the sex of various types of plant life. I wonder if it can be related at all?

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

Reminds me to the movie: Children of Men (2006) ... very good movie btw ...

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Yeah, I remeber that one.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

following the laws of supply and demand, good news for all these daddies that have in mind use their own daughters to get a rich son in law.  

In any case, keeping in mind, that the semen quality also decreasing by the radiation...... seems that the radiation conspires to polyandry, yuju !!!  

polyandry is the future dicks!!!

• Mengmeng
    Mengmeng wrote:

Sometimes, these prophesies are not trustworthy. There has another theory that the Y Chromosome is degrading and there won't be male after millions of years or so. Every theory gives some possiblilities based on some facts but not taking into account of all conditions. So don't worry, people, let's wait and see which is stronger, Y Chromosome or nuclear radiation. lol

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Consequentially Big L or Lizzie(Jk)  made a topic with in topic. What about those Chinese men? Can and will they "put it down"?

• Simen Wangberg

I'll be more upset if redheads go extinct, as has been predicted. Redhead ladies. LAAAAAAA

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.