Discussion » Ask a Foreigner » How to achieve my American dream?

• Ivan Wong
    Ivan Wong wrote:
    <p>I need your help first!</p> <p>I'm a senior student in Lanzhou, China. I hope you guys know where I'm located. Do you know that place?&gt;_&lt;</p> <p>So American seems like a shining star for me. It's beside&nbsp;my shoulder, but too hard to reach. So I am here to ask for advice about studying in American.</p> <p>As you have seen, my English Standard is just SO SO. Some basic conversation and communication is okay, but when it comes to some hard expressions and some slang, I'm sorry, I DO not know. I have great interested in English, Chemistry and Biology.</p> <p>I hope I can enter into a great American collage.(Yeah, maybe that's a dream) My family is not so rich&nbsp;that can&nbsp;afford me to study without scholarship.(As I know,the tuition in American is as expensive as a&nbsp;department here in Beijing.)</p> <p>My propose is not "escape China" or "escape the collage entrance examination". I just want to have a better development. And study in the way I want.</p> <p>Here are a few things that I know.</p> <p>First, you should have the SAT test and&nbsp;get a great score.</p> <p>Then, you shold write a great application so that it increase the possibility for you to enter a great collage.</p> <p>Third, you should know, when you come to America, you are ALONG. So be perpared for the independent life.</p> <p>So plz give me some advice and if you are student studying abroad, come here and discuss it!&nbsp; Plz tell me some experience and preparation, also some details to go into the American collage.</p> <p>Most thanks to all of you!</p> <p>Ivan</p>
  • Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

I don't know Ivan. What I do know is that there's going to be some mockery, but you sound so serious and desperate, so don't let them get you, or your dream. Despite the fact that I don't know what's SO good about America that you are already so into it before you even actually see it, I think it's wonderful to have a dream. I'd love to go to Africa and Middle East, I may need some help as well.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahaha ...

Hello Ivan ... there are quite a few Americans on this site, aged from early twenties upwards, and at least one of them would be able to help later ...

So you are doing Grade 11 in Lanzhou now? With studying overseas, like you had said, money would always be an issue, so one advice I can give you is:

... if you cannot go overseas for undergraduate, you can always finish Uni in China, work a few years and then go overseas for post-grad ... but by then, you are likely to be in your mid or late twenties, and there is a new question whether you want to return to China or stay over there ...

... just from my experience ... I came back from Australia :)

• Simen Wangberg

Dude, you have sick English for a high schooler. By "sick" I mean "good".

We just ran an article about how a lot of young Chinese are enrolling in American universities because there's too much competition in Chinese ones + hukou-related restrictions regarding the gaokao.

I don't really know anything about the process of enrolling in an American university as a Chinese student, but it sounds like you have some time to figure that out.

It might still be easier/cheaper for you to go to university here, but if you can get into a good Chinese university and develop decent language + critical thinking skills (MUCH more important for your success in an American university than any test score), you can always head to the States to get a higher degree, as many Chinese do.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

@Kulo

Really? How so? I sincerely hope that's true.

• Xiao
    Xiao wrote:

@Kulo

Oh, yea, sure, that's right. There are some exceptions though, like 李春平, he got to marry an old foreign lady and he has lived happily ever after since she died.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... dont know anything about SAT, but I did GMAT once back in 1988 and never wanted to do it again ...

By the way, dont worry too much about the first sentence of what Michael said, it was kind of a joke and it's OK if you dont understand ...

• Simen Wangberg

"what's meaning of your first sentence? I'm sorry I can't quite understand what your mean. Maybe go into an uni in China is a good plan."

Hehe. I was just trying to say your English is pretty good, for a high schooler. But yeah, what everyone else said - maybe just worry about doing well in a Chinese university first, it will make it much easier to get into an American one.

Actually, the best thing you can do is to find another Chinese person who has done the same thing that you want to do. Find a Chinese who has gotten a degree from an American university (not hard, there's tons of them in Beijing), I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you some advice, and maybe even help you with the process later.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... Something ... last time we spoke, you mentioned about going to Macquarie, is that correct? That one is well known for easy-in-hard-out ... and I dont mean it in the slightest of sexual behaviour :)

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... heehee ... I said:

I dont mean it in the slightest of sexual behaviour

... MU is quite famous for easy admission, but its courses are often more difficult than U Sydney and UNSW, so many people found it a bit tough or even difficult to graduate ... which is why easy-in-hard-out ... or 易入难出 or 易进难出 ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:
  • 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... Dando ... you are being curious again?

Something ... we have robbed Ivan of his thread about Oz ... if you want to continue this, let's guestbook or PM ...

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

God no, getting a job in America (legaly) as someone without American nationality is a nightmare. 

• Simen Wangberg

"On some American TV series like desperate housewives, the position of Chinese is low.(illegal immigrant I mean)

So take the courses as well as washing dishes,being a stripper(I'm sorry)……maybe it is the cold truth to the students studying adroad."

Don't trust anything you see on "Desperate Housewives", or any other TV show, for that matter. They are not an accurate reflection of reality. I'm sad that I have to explain this.

It is difficult for illegal immigrants to get jobs in the States, no argument. Doesn't have anything to do with being Chinese, it has more to do with not having a Social Security card.

However, washing dishes and stripping while you're getting through school is not only nothing to be ashamed of, but is actually very common for most American students. I worked in a cafeteria, a McDonalds and two pizza restaurants while I was at university.

And a strip club.

I was a bouncer!!

:-/

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I think I might have asked before, not too sure though ...

Q: is it OK for overseas student to work in States? If so, is there a limit on hours?

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Just and have some faith in yourself. It seems as if you already know what you're doing.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

But funny

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

Hahahahaha ... it looks like we might have robbed Ivan's thread to discuss which is the most realistic or real-life American TV series ...

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I strongly advised against "live in here without using English" ...

• Amalie Sæverud

not begging it, conquer it!

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

Is there anything wrong if  Chine person goes to the US? I'm just wondering

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

I believe today, everyone who feels free to go anywhere has that liberty to be anywhere as long as he or she abide to the law of that particular country. This person shall  be protected by the law.

Those who don't want outsiders to come in, it's a waste of time. They just need to compete and make sure that they are able to get a job as we are living in the toughest time of competition. It reminds me about a female friend of mine, a Beijinger telling me: "I hate non Beijinger, they make our city crowded, they do many bad things, now getting a job seems to  be hard, they even took all the boys for themselves. I hate them!"

Well, life is all about taking a risk, find a school and enroll. Try to integrate in the society, don't make the mistake of just eating noodles and chinese food only. Don't make friends with Chinese friends only, mingle with people from different places to improve your english proficiency. If not you will come bk here without mastering the language.

Good luck

High Priest

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

High Priest said it...Man Up, Mingle and are you working hard or hardly working?

• High Priest
    High Priest wrote:

@Virgil W, thanks.

It's much better for people to know that a dream is wherever you are or the other side of the sea. Not everyone that goes to the US will see his or her dreams achieved. Some can get their dreams out of the US. The most important thing is, never let your dream fade, but don't be a dreamer.

Hig Priest

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

Brother you can do whatever you set your mind to so keep on keeping on.Just remember Hardwork+Workhard = your success+ a party.

• A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

¨You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period.¨

-The Pursuit of Happyness-

“Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion” -Goethe- 

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

I'll tell you what, If you're not timid and ask me for help with apartments/homes,cultural significance and jobs. I'll do all I can to help and keep you on top. You have the luck of a champion.

• Virgil W
    Virgil W wrote:

TProphet is right~" You can also get a higher score by learning the material in detail so you truly know the answers, and this is really what you should be doing".TP

Nothing better than practicing what you preach.

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.