Discussion » Sports & Activities » How about a round of applause...

• Jose
  • 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

I am more than open for normal topics, but tennis? wasnt that popular in th 80s? since so many years i still don't understand the point-system... 10 15, this unlogic is to painful for me as a geek to watch ;-)

But, gratulation Li Na !!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahaha ... is it only me, who among the minority, waiting for her appearance in FHM or other men's magazines?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

I don't get how an asian woman winning a major tennis tournament is "progress". It's just a sign that tennis is becoming more popular in the east? Tennis can be pretty exciting to watch, and it's nice for Li Na that she won, but I don't see why eveyone has to make some big political/sociological deal about it. Why ruin someone's personal accomplishment by superimposing your own agenda on top of it?

So, a big hand for Li Na. A middle finger for all the asswipes turning it into East vs. West.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

What Li Na's victory means for China is not progress, but loneliness.

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Check your comically large shoes for your own shit, Ronald. Kieran's inference isn't out of line at all.

Someone won a tennis match.

This story isn't very exciting on its own.

Of the scarce few details you've decided were relevant and newsworthy enough to share here, you decided to mention her nationality, and then you went on to hold the event up as a sign of progress (of what?); if that's not superimposing an agenda on top of this woman's achievement, then I don't know what is.

She's good at tennis. Yay. Move on.

Go on trying to distinguish yourself from the rest of the trolls. To everyone else, it's the same corny shit from a different hemorrhaged asshole.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

nobody said this was east vs. west, and there is no agenda being superimposed on top of this this woman's acheivement. white people have certainly mastered the craft of insinuation and being needlessly offended, haven't they? this was just about someone being the first person ever to do something. that's not progress? why does it always have to be sociopolitical or racial or sexual?

Nobody said it was about race, sex or sociopolitical themes did they? And nobody was superimposing an agenda on top of it? That's funny, I distinctly recall this:

a chinese woman becomes the first asian woman to ever win a major tennis tournament

Well there's gender, ethnicity and nationality right there. There seems to be some deeper ethnic tensions in the first quote so let's revisit it

white people have certainly mastered the craft of insinuation and being needlessly offended, haven't they

So once more, my most heartfelt and sincere congratulations to Li Na. She did well. She should be very proud of herself. The fengqing on this side of the pacific and the gun lovers on the other can all spin on it though. They're ruining her acheivement by using it as an oppertunity to stir up shit and do some chest beating and dick waving.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... still hope to see her photo shoot appearing in a Men's magazine ...

... and speaking of "progress" ... if China has its own Playboy or Penthouse, or even Hustler, then I would call it "progress" ...

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

@叮噹叔叔 (婦協雜工): Agree with you, lets wait for her pictures ^^

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ...

... but ... didn't the like of Yao Ming and Liu Xiang already make progress? Or, they are NOT considered progress?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

She's not the first person to do something though. Tons of people have won tennis tournaments. I mean, it's a tournament, someone has to win at the end of it. It's when you start making a big deal about her being the first person with certain external charactaristics to have done it that it becomes something with an agenda. I get just as sick of people going on about Andy Murray being the hope of Britain in tennis (or as the joke goes: British when he's winning, Scottish when he's loosing). I don't give a fuck about his nationality either, even if it is the same as mine.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... ::xuedi:: ... but, if I remember correctly, even if Li Na ever pose nude for Playboy or similar, she is not the first China's celebrity to do so ...  I believe Bai Ling was the first one?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

"You're not that important that people want to hear what you think about topics you don't give a shit about," says the uppity twat who thinks giving two squirty shits about tennis is indicative of "not being an utter dickhead or a pompous cunt."

• Simen Wangberg

BAI LING!!!

We were in a buddy's apartment for a party and he had a huge stack of Playboys on this short-legged coffee table, including the Bai Ling issue. I was pretty trashed and ended up somehow falling on this elongated table and upending it, sending Playboys and alcohol flying. And my buddy just screams "BAI LIIIIING" and runs to save her from being drenched in vodka and Red Bulls.

Bai Ling drenched in vodka and Red Bulls. Let THAT give you wings.

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Guys, did you hear that the frisbee golf open was won yesteday by a Botswanan heamaphrodite?

PROGRESS 

• Simen Wangberg

Wait a second. Wasn't there some flap awhile back cos some African runner clocked some crazy-ass time and then they found out that he was a she, or vice versa?

Trannies.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

Hahahahahaha ... but didnt the Russian do that many years ago?

• Ejdnzlaj
    Ejdnzlaj wrote:

Mike: That happens all the time, like every single olympics. I had to research it for gender studies. There are quite a lot of physical women with male chromosones or xxy.

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

"Hahahahahaha ... but didnt the Russian do that many years ago?"

Thats really scary shit, in east germany the goverment RELLY wanted to wind at the olympic games, to they where giving their athletes lots of steroids, sometimes even without telling them, some of the east german sports 'woman' look REALY scary !!

• Simen Wangberg

Yeah, that makes sense. No it doesn't, that's insane. Like how many people have this going on? Did they absorb some guy's balls in the womb? Do I have a hidden vagina? Crouching chromosome, hidden vagina?

BAI LING!!!

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

I can assure you, OP, that discussing your dickishness is far more necessary than a couple of links that we could all look up on Google if we actually gave a fuck.

Isn't it an exceedingly cynical point of view to believe that everyone else is cynical? Jesus Fucking Christ it's like hipsters talking about how much they hate the scene.

You gentlemen bring up some very fascinating points. I think I would watch more sports if there was an all-tranny league to dispel all this sexy confusion.

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

@Ronald: i got your message the right way, and i apriciate your inicial post, otherwise i would not have knows about Li Na at all. I someone wins that is not the favorite is always nice...

I for example the Jamaican Bobsleigh Team in 88 ... awesome thing ... they went to a german fun event about sliding down the bobsleigh on frying pans in german. They where celebrate like national heroes !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wok_racing

@Dando: "hipsters talking about how much they hate the scene." hehehe, yeah, and they always do, so funny ^^

• Simen Wangberg

You guys are doing this all wrong.

• Simen Wangberg

I liked cynicism before anyone else.

!!!

Don't try searching for "tranny sports" at work. It won't lead to anything good

• Simen Wangberg

I take that back. Found this gem:

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued)

::xuedi:: ... are you sure it was the East German?

Would any of you gentlemen be so kind to let me know who was the first China's female celebrity to ever greet the Playboy cover? Somehow I am sure Bai Ling was not the first ... was is Joanne Chen?

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Margaret "China" Lee was Playboy Playmate of the month in August 1964. A shining example of showbiz name tokenism only outshone by the likes of Filipino-American adult film actresses named (Something) Thai.

As if this thread lacked sufficient butthurt, here's the kicker: she pronounced her name "chee-nah".

• Simen Wangberg

Hahaha. I was gonna post that gal too. She's American-born though, no? Mix baby counts? CHEE-NAH! BAI-LING!

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

。。。

(continued) ... let's stick with Chinese natives ... otherwise, it can get confusing ...

• 随便叫兽
    随便叫兽 wrote:

Bai Ling has U.S. citizenship.

And she claims she is from the Moon.

• Simen Wangberg

Yeah, but she is of purely Chinese blood!

Actually, I have to wonder if there's some kind of American citizenship requirement for Playboy? To be an actual Playmate, that is. Bai Ling was naturalized in the late '90s. On the Moon, I mean.

• Simen Wangberg

Nevermind, apparently CHEE-NAH Lee was also born to two Chinese parents, but they'd already emigrated to the States by the time she was born.

"The family owned a laundry." Because yeah, of course they did.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... I am glad the way this thread is moving :)

Michael ... the answer of this question lies in whether any previous Playmate was ever a non US citizen ... someone other than HH must have a database ...

• Simen Wangberg

I was combing through a list of Playmates on Wiki and didn't see very many foreign-sounding names. I will continue my ultra-scientific analysis.

• 叮噹叔叔 (令狐叮噹)

(continued) ... the truth ... is out there ...

• 雪地
    雪地 wrote:

" ... the truth ... is out there ..." Sometime you just have to look a few layers of clothes deeper ^^

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.