Discussion » Nonsense » Prisoners and WOW

• The War
    The War wrote:
    <p>Chinese prisoners were forced into 'gold farming' &ndash; building up credits on online games such as World of Warcraft.</p> <p>As a prisoner at the Jixi labour camp, Liu Dali would slog through tough days breaking rocks and digging trenches in the open cast coalmines of north-east China. By night, he would slay demons, battle goblins and cast spells.</p> <p>Liu says he was one of scores of prisoners forced to play online games to build up credits that prison guards would then trade for real money. The 54-year-old, a former prison guard who was jailed for three years in 2004 for "illegally petitioning" the central government about corruption in his hometown, reckons the operation was even more lucrative than the physical labour that prisoners were also forced to do.</p> <p>"Prison bosses made more money forcing inmates to play games than they do forcing people to do manual labour," Liu told the Guardian. "There were 300 prisoners forced to play games. We worked 12-hour shifts in the camp. I heard them say they could earn 5,000-6,000rmb [&pound;470-570] a day. We didn't see any of the money. The computers were never turned off."</p> <p>More about it here:</p> <p>http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/may/25/china-prisoners-internet-gaming-scam</p> <p>&nbsp;</p>
  • A豆腐
    A豆腐 wrote:

I always wondered what was behind the chinese farmers in the online games.... I never thought this option.... I don´t know if be sad or amazed by the pragmatistic point of view of some people O_o . 

• Tina
    Tina's猫 wrote:

ok,half an hour later, i'm done with the article and comments

like one comment says prisoner bit is new, but gold farming is not 

however,it's not a big deal ppl couldn't believe of chinese goldfarming while u see out there,tons of wow gamers let's say 80% of US wow gold buyers,20% of other foreign countries,they throw themselves into the game all night from 6 to 10 hours,  ,family with family,friends with friends,obssessed guide memebers,they are packed in the line waiting for their gold to buy advanced armors, or my favorite, 5000 gold cost of Flying mount (years ago),they need heal,they need better things to get access to new fascinating adventures. not to mention the best part to RAID.

comparing to years ago, 10000 gold costed almost 600 USD ,but now,14 USD,gold farmers,no matter how hard they work,u can tell how the future goes

Please login to post a reply to this thread.

WeLiveInBeijing

WeLiveInBeijing.com is a social community for people living in or traveling to Beijing.